Vampires are Real

With the Easter Bunny’s arrival today, we decided to quiz our 6-year-old daughter about fact versus fantasy in what we dubbed a Truth Deciding List. Each item on the list had three columns in which to place an X for real, fantasy or unknown. Here are her answers:

Real

1. Desk fairies*
  2. Fairies
  3. Flying reindeer
  4. Gnomes
  5. Santa Claus
  6. Vampires

*Desk fairies periodically visit her classroom, placing a sticker or other goodie when a student’s desk has been kept clean.

Fantasy

1. Cupid
  2. Frankenstein
  3. Monsters
  4. Space monkeys
  5. Underpants gnomes
  6. Unicorns
  7. Witches
  8. Zombies

See previously: Space Monkey Defense Tip #1.

Unknown

1. Aliens
  2. Easter Bunny
  3. Elves
  4. Ghosts
  5. Goblins
  6. Leprechauns

A seed of doubt was planted about the Easter Bunny because, as she tells it, her Mom was too quick to say “I see one!” during the egg hunt, apparently not looking hard enough for the eggs. Never mind that this was the first year the bunny visited our home. In the past, we’ve gone to community egg hunts on Saturdays, then traded our kids’  candy for a new toy purchase the same afternoon. This year, I loaded up on sugar free candy for our own in-home hunt.

Meanwhile, regarding aliens, her uncertainty is rooted in things I’ve told her about the probability of life existing elsewhere in the universe (e.g., there is life, but we’ll probably never contact it). Unfortunately, I failed to quiz her specifically about the race of Alien Brain Crunchers who regularly visit our planet.

After making the list, my daughter insisted on being told which items are real or fake, but we told her everyone has their own truth deciding lists. Her list shows her truths at the moment.

Comments

7 Responses to “Vampires are Real”

1. PAUL says:

You did not mention if Little Miss feels that the Winter Ogre is real or not…

April 25th, 2011 at 8:48 pm

2. Midge says:

I was definitely chagrined this year when our daughter admitted that her teacher told her the Easter Bunny is not real and, sigh, she woke up saw me do the Tooth Fairy thing one night. Aaah. They grow up too fast!!

I still asked her about the other “evidence” she had collected.

She mentioned not a thing about Santa or fairies!

April 26th, 2011 at 8:51 pm

3. Jason says:

Sup Thinga,
    Cute post. My list is something like:
    Real: Low pay, poopy diapers, late nights, etc.
    Myth: Sleep, raises, free time, etc.
    Thanks for the post. Made me giggle and reflect on my ‘lil ones.

Later,
    Jason
    Jason
    The Cheeky Daddy

April 27th, 2011 at 1:43 pm

4. Mommy Adventures says:

I don’t like to give my toddler sugar either, so I bought some of those plastic eggs and put some fun little toys (i.e. miniature bottles of bubbles, hairclips, etc.) in them. She loved hunting for them and has no idea that most kids hunt for chocolate eggs. P.S. when I was in kindergarten, I got time out for telling everyone that my mom was the easter bunny. I really thought she was!

April 29th, 2011 at 4:05 am

5. Penguinmommy says:

We just got to eat hard boiled eggs… boo. I suppose it is just a giant catch 22 until I spring for eggs big enough to hide books inside ;)

April 29th, 2011 at 9:25 am

6. Jen says:

We forked over the cash for eggs filled with mini packets of play-doh for my 2 yr olds egg hunt this year. I absolutely did not want her to get any more candy. She got enough of that from my husband’s mother and the playgroup parents. I’m still a ways from the bunny issue.

I love that your daughter thinks that vampires are real but that witches and monsters are fake.

April 30th, 2011 at 7:31 pm

7. Lady in a Small Town says:

My not-quite-2-year-old got a basket with a few books, toothbrushes, and some toys, 6 large eggs with colored goldfish snacks and 1 small chocolate chick that he is still working on finishing. He hunted for eggs that I stuffed with his own finger puppets and he didn’t even try to open them, he just wanted to hunt for them again.

How much longer can I get away with all that?

May 1st, 2011 at 3:36 pm