Quote of the Day

“I was in my own little reading world.”

That’s my 6-year-old daughter recalling her experience last night waiting for me to get home from her school’s kindergarten recruitment event. She’s doing a read-a-thon to support the school library and plans to read 2,000 pages by the end of the month. That amounts to most of our Roald Dahl and Beverly Cleary collection. She told me that while reading in her room she found herself unaware of the time or day, not sure if it was morning or night, dissolved in her own little reading world.

Success!

Comments

6 Responses to “Quote of the Day”

1. Jeremy says:

YAY! Congrats on that. That’s a good quality for kids to have. My wife and I have tried our best to instill in our son that reading = good. Sometimes he prefers to have books read to him than go and play outside. Overkill? Maybe, but at least he loves books! Sometimes we have to put limits on how many books we will read to him. He would sit there for hours reading books if allowed.

March 9th, 2011 at 8:03 am

2. Cindy says:

Jeremy, take the books outside sometimes! It gets the kids fresh air & the sun’s vitamin D, and between books let/make them play. Shoot, I like to sit outside & read while watching the kids play on the playground :-)

March 9th, 2011 at 9:31 am

3. Jeremy says:

That’s a fantastic idea! Don’t get me wrong, my son loves playing outside. He even has the tan to prove it! There are just some days where he would prefer to read books.

March 9th, 2011 at 12:20 pm

4. Angie says:

I have a fourteen month old who loves books.
    She has had an amazing facination with them
    From the time she could focus! I hope this continues! My eldest is an avid reader as am I… Could it be genetic?

March 9th, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Angie, I’ve been thinking about that question since her GATE teacher suggested she has a genetic ability (1st grade reading at 6th grade level).

My gut feeling is that genetics may make it easier for a child to learn certain activities or learn in a certain way, but it’s heavily influenced by how the child is nurtured. You know, the piano virtuoso who will never be because he never had access to music lessons. If we’d made different choices for our daughter along the way, I expect she’d be an average reader. If we made *bad* choices, she could be far behind her peers. I guess that’s my way of saying, yeah, I’m awesome. :-P

March 9th, 2011 at 6:57 pm

6. kelly says:

This reminded me of when I was a little girl and my mom came flying into my room wanting to know why I didn’t answer her when she was calling me (she was more worried than angry) and I said I didn’t hear her because I “fell into my book”. It still happens sometimes.

March 9th, 2011 at 9:24 pm