Books for Christmas redux

Last year, after filming their 3-year-old son showing disgust at receiving books for Christmas (and the parents laughing), and presumably after users of Youtube attached critical comments to the video and the parents turned off commenting on the video… the kid is back!Yesterday, the parents filmed their now 4-year-old son receiving books for Christmas. Ta-da!

My take is, based on the questioning of the parents, that the video was shot in response to Internet critics. I hope we’re seeing a genuine response from the boy, and not the result of coaching, but anyhow…

For our part, our daughter received two Mary Poppins books, The World of Little House (she’s re-reading the series for school now), and Ramona the Pest. She was most enthused about Ramona because I’ve been stalling her reading our softcover version for weeks because I’d picked up a large format hardcover edition (25 cents at a yard sale) and set it aside from Christmas.

Comments

8 Responses to “Books for Christmas redux”

1. adrienne says:

Our kids’ favorite books received this Christmas are Bill Thompson’s great wordless Chalk, Komako Sakai’s beautifully illustrated Emily’s Balloon, and Judy Sierra’s offbeat reimagined fairy tale tea party Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf.

December 26th, 2010 at 1:04 pm

2. Lady in a Smalltown says:

I love Ramona Quimby! I hope she loves them too.

My 18 month old gets a new book at least every week. I hope when he is 3 he still loves getting them.

Did you see him on the Today show? The show gave him a gift and he said, “Oh? Another one of these?” I suspect he is probably a spoiled kid.

December 26th, 2010 at 5:39 pm

3. Jen says:

My 20-mo-old daughter got Dr. Suess and Sandra Boynton, and as soon as she opened the packages, she demanded “Mommy read!” She was just as happy with the books as she was the toys she got from other relatives.

December 26th, 2010 at 5:51 pm

4. Brenna says:

I hope the reaction is genuine as well…

Each of mine received a few books each and loved them all. My oldest was most excited about his set of Choose Your Own Adventure books. So fun!

December 27th, 2010 at 12:36 am

5. Midge says:

My daughter (7) received about 20 books from Santa, parents, and family this year. From chapter books to simple picture books, she loves every one!

My son (2) received only 8, but is also enjoying them. We’ve read his already 2 or 3 times each!

Hope you had a great holiday.

December 27th, 2010 at 5:54 pm

6. anastasiav says:

What has really struck me about this whole sordid tale is how willing we are to harshly judge people we’ve never met on the basis of just a tiny bit of information.

I wish we could get to a place where we did more to support parents rather than endlessly criticize, where we did more to encourage rather than to blame, where we can find ways to stop saying “my child would NEVER do that” and find ways to say “I wonder what led that child to do that?”

We all know that kids learn a lot from us — and one of the things they learn is how to be grossly judgmental of other people. I feel bad for these parents. Because I’m sure they’re doing the best they can, they worry just as I do, we share the fear that we’re not doing the best we can for our child. Its got to be terrible to be so harshly judged by so many people you’ve never met.

December 28th, 2010 at 2:37 pm

7. adrienne says:

anastasiav:

Your comment may be indicative of other internet sites’ coverage of this family, but I think the discussion on Thingamababy (especially this post) has been pretty mature.

The comments here mostly discuss what books our kids got for Christmas and/or that they liked the books they were given. Only one of these comments seemed to address the video family at all.

The earlier post (which I hadn’t read prior to reading your comment) seemed more a discussion of gift-recipient manners.

If a family chooses to publicize their child’s poor behavior and then feed at the publicity trough with morning show appearances, they open themselves up to public comment. They could have made the video private or removed it from YouTube. While the video only comprises a moment of the family’s lifetime, the impetus to post it online does make some clear statements.

It’s probably okay to be the video family (I haven’t watched either of their videos or any resulting news coverage), but I don’t think everyone must refrain from making comments about their choices.

They thought their son’s behavior was hysterical. Some others don’t. No big deal.

January 1st, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Ugh. I didn’t know they made TV appearances.

January 1st, 2011 at 3:13 pm