Books for Christmas

They laugh in this video, but if it were my son, I’d be severely disappointed in him and myself.

[Link via Reddit /r/parenting]

Comments

9 Responses to “Books for Christmas”

1. silver says:

If any of my children respond like that to any gift, I would be horrified. I don’t care if the gift was itchy wool tube socks.

December 21st, 2010 at 8:53 pm

2. Kelly K says:

Some people don’t understand that children react to their behavior, although it is a no brainer to me. Really folks? You really want to teach your child that throwing a fit over a gift gets rewarded with positive attention? You really want your child to feel so entitled that a gift is valued only for what it is, with no value given to its intent? They are in for one disappointing life. That probably doesn’t make much sense, it is late and I’m tired but it is sad that parents are so unaware of the impact even a “little” moment like that will have in the shaping of their child’s future.

December 21st, 2010 at 10:11 pm

3. Jeremy says:

What a little brat! I agree with Kelly in the fact that the parents reacted very poorly with this child. It doesn’t teach the right values when appreciating something that was given to you. Did you notice, tho, that there was a Wii in the picture? This kid can’t be more than 4 years old and he got a Wii? I’m going to hold off on video games as long as I can for my boys.

It’s funny that you showed this video b/c my son is getting a TON of books (well like 10) for Christmas and he’ll probably be so excited about it! Great post as usual. Have a happy holiday season!!

December 22nd, 2010 at 8:04 am

4. Cindy says:

Agree with Jeremy. My son (2.5 yrs) is getting multiple books for Christmas, especially ones with the little lift-flaps he absolutely loves.

The ignorant parents remind me of a video of parents questioning their daughter about what she saw & heard when she went into their room the night before. It’s hysterical when it’s not your kid, but don’t be the parent that laughs in front of them and puts it on youtube!

December 22nd, 2010 at 8:33 am

5. Micaela says:

When I was a little kid, books and toys were the same thing. I hope I never see my daughter react like this. Beside the whole book/toy issue, a gift is a gift…

December 22nd, 2010 at 10:24 am

6. Brenna says:

That really is disappointing. My children have an enormous love of books and have received them for Christmas every year with much excitement. I want to raise children who love to learn and love knowledge.

I would be horrified if my children ever acted that way with a gift of any kind. I don’t care if it was the worst gift ever, you still must be polite. Sigh.

December 23rd, 2010 at 12:18 am

7. Tonia says:

I certainly would not be laughing at that child. They’re setting themselves for bigger battles by rewarding such negative behavior when they should be reinforcing that a gift is a gift and Christmas is NOT about gifts, that’s a bonus treat if you’re lucky. My 2 yr old would be delighted with those books as much as she would the socks she’s going to get, because she already knows good behavior is reward in many ways and we’re teaching her to appreciate the gift given to us no matter what it is.

December 23rd, 2010 at 5:41 pm

8. observer says:

i would never put up with such behavior from a child. it looked like the kid had already opened up a ton of toys already. i would be sorely dissapointed and angry if my child ever acted ungreatful for a gift.

December 23rd, 2010 at 6:48 pm

9. Kimberly says:

Both my children got about 10 books each… until a last minute toy vegetable set all my 14 month daughter was getting was books.

If that had been my son, I certainly would have stopped filming, I’d have been really embarrassed by his reaction.

I will add the hit for presents was the packaging and paper they came in. Oh and they loved those fun bows.

December 25th, 2010 at 12:04 am