Quote of the Day

Photo of a yellow spherical smiley face pinata hanging from a ceiling.At our wedding, we had a pull-string piñata broken open during the ceremony to determine the best man and maid of honor. Aside from confetti, inside the piñata were two severed plastic fingers donning our wedding bands. Whomever among the wedding party found them earned the honor.

We also had a yellow smiley face piñata displayed as one of the room’s decorations. That piñata has hung in our daughter’s room since she was born.

Our 5-year-old daughter’s birthday party is next week and she has requested a piñata. Mom suggested we could use her smiley face piñata.

My daughter protested thusly:

“No! I’m going to take it to college with me. I’m going to have my husband hang it in our bedroom so I can always remember how much I love our family right now.”

Comments

6 Responses to “Quote of the Day”

1. Bev says:

Awwww.

June 3rd, 2010 at 6:05 am

2. Jene says:

That is the sweetest thing ever. You must live a very lovely family life.

June 3rd, 2010 at 6:28 am

3. ararechan says:

that is so crazy precious…. Little Miss just warmed my heart. So….. What type of piñata will you be using for the bday instead?

I love your wedding story, too… It would even be bette if your anniversary is october 31st, lol. (is it?)

June 6th, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I’m not convinced we’ll have a piñata. Spending two days rearranging our home for a 2-hour cardboard fort is pretty good. Store-bought piñatas are made of cardboard and next to impossible to break open. We’d have to make our own, and we certainly don’t have the time.

Our anniversary isn’t on Halloween, although some friends had a costumed wedding near Halloween. It was something of an inspiration for our wedding, namely, not to constrain our thinking by tradition.

June 6th, 2010 at 9:18 pm

5. KGS says:

Wow, you are lucky– here in Phoenix, pinatas tend to be so flimsy the oldest kids at a large party may not get a turn to hit it before it’s broken!

June 8th, 2010 at 12:22 pm

6. observer says:

that is the best thing i have heard a child say. the days when kids like to spend time with family have been fast comming to an end. it is a breath of fresh air to hear about a little girl who loves her family that much.

June 10th, 2010 at 10:48 pm