Balloon Balls for Babies

Photo of two cotton fabric covers on fully inflated balloons.

It seems balloons are not safe for babies. I never gave it much thought. I give my kid a balloon, he slathers his tongue all over it, and I yank it away for the next few years. Case closed.

Then I give him a ping-pong ball. Boy he looks funny with that in his mouth, but not as funny as when Mom tries to get it back out.

Anyhow, apparently you bad parents out there let your kids wreak havoc, pop balloons and then your babies choke on the pieces you failed to pick up.

So this is what we’ve come to… fabric protective covers for balloons.

Many folks sell them, but SDKdesigns’s Shop on Etsy seems to have the best non-nylon price, $6.50 for one cotton form-fitting balloon cover.

You insert a deflated balloon into a small hole in the fabric sphere, blow up the balloon and tie off the balloon. That’s it. You’re done.

My only thought is, won’t your baby be attracted to the balloon’s mouthpiece that protrudes from the sphere? I’m sure there’s a joke about nipple confusion here somewhere.

Photo of a pink balloon mouthpiece sticking outside a balloon cover, and a photo of a nipple and a photo of an inverted nipple.

One of these things is not like the other. Yeah, I know, a balloon nubbin has more in common with an inverted nipple than an outie nipple. I decided to take the high road and omit the fourth photo of what body part the nubbin really looks like.

Comments

7 Responses to “Balloon Balls for Babies”

1. jill t says:

hahaha cracking up over here! great post!

May 4th, 2010 at 6:26 am

2. Sara says:

I used to play with a commercial version of these things. You can finagle the tied end around and into the rest of the ball so it doesn’t stick out. They also force the eggy balloon shape into a sphere to make for more predictable tossing and rolling and bouncing and whatnot. I’m not sure what the appeal over a beach ball was, though.

May 4th, 2010 at 6:32 am

Finagle the end so it doesn’t stick out? Doesn’t that hurt? OMG you people are weird.

May 4th, 2010 at 7:21 am

4. Christina says:

When my daughter’s been in contact with balloons, especially as a baby, they were already blown up – you know, the helpful waitress who asks if your one-year-old wants a balloon to take home (in said one-year-old’s hearing), that kind of thing. So I am unsure of the usefulness.

Plus, yeah, how is this better than a beach ball?

May 4th, 2010 at 7:24 am

5. Liz says:

We’ve got one of these from SDKdesigns and they’re great! It’s better than a beach ball, for one thing, b/c when it pops/deflates, you just blow up another balloon, and presto, all fixed. As opposed to throwing out a busted beach ball.

And yeah, the nubbin is supposed to be stuffed back inside…

May 4th, 2010 at 11:40 am

6. Penguinmommy says:

I played with these things when I was a kid… so no news to me… they are softer than the plastic-y feel of a beach ball which I remember liking… but necessary? Nope!

May 7th, 2010 at 12:03 pm

7. Nancy T. says:

We have one of these, I agree that they’re great. Definitely better than a beach ball for the reasons Liz said. But I would agree they’re unnecessary.

May 7th, 2010 at 3:28 pm