An adorable or disturbing 5-year-old

Here’s a 5-year-old giving a speech on opening day for the Boston Red Sox. It’s a rendition of the speech given by Herb Brooks before the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team match with the USSR, adjusted for baseball.

At first I thought it was cute. But then, you know, someone had to teach and train the kid. Here he is on the Ellen DeGeneres Show, and apparently practicing in his home.

I’m all for infusing your kids with your love for a sport, are even a TV show, but is that the same thing? I put it in the same category as teaching a 2-year-old to recite the names of countries and then going on TV to show off your seemingly amazing child.

Comments

8 Responses to “An adorable or disturbing 5-year-old”

1. anjii says:

I think it’s disturbing and I’m sure it gives the kid a warped sense of self and accomplishment.

April 6th, 2010 at 9:58 am

2. Jene says:

As a Yankee fan I find it disturbing.

As a baseball-loving mom, I wish it was my kid up there, instead, and I appreciate the fact that his parents are bringing him up to appreciate the sport.

April 6th, 2010 at 11:06 am

3. ararechan says:

not a fan of either (baseball *or* training your child to memorize a speech), but if the kid is doing it as a child actor, I guess he’s earning his keep as a 5 year old in the home!!!

I didn’t find it very entertaining to watch- kids dressed up as adults emulating adults… Too much of that going on everywhere you look!

April 6th, 2010 at 8:38 pm

4. Angelique says:

ummmm…as for the “teach your kid to memorize the countries”…some kids do it all on their own. I have one of those kids. I supplied the map, he did the reading and memorizing by the time he was three. Along with the map thing, he’s memorized a lot of the names and nomenclature of the periodic table. It’s just THAT interesting to him. I don’t think I’d ever take him on TV for it though, he’d probably go off on a embarrassing (for mommy, but totally fascinating for a kid) tangent. He is four after all :)

April 7th, 2010 at 7:25 am

5. Mags says:

Creepy!

April 7th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

6. Sandy W. says:

Ummmm….”screw it”? I’m not sure I want my young child screaming that in front of everyone on TV (after I taught it them to) and getting applause. Just not right.

April 9th, 2010 at 2:14 am

7. Joe D. says:

What’s so disturbing about teaching your kid geography? The girl was not “seemingly” amazing, she WAS amazing. Do you not spend any time around kids at all? Very, very few kids, even with extensive training, can do that at 2. Heck, most ADULTS can’t do that, so don’t mock a 2 year old for something you probably can’t do yourself. If you watch the video, she was correctly locating places many adults have never heard of, much less could find on a map, so give her credit, her parents should be proud.
    And as Angelique said, some kids do that on their own. I do that sort of thing with my kids because they view it as a great game. It is fun for them and it is educational as well. Nothing disturbing, creepy or anything else about it except good parenting.

April 16th, 2010 at 7:40 am

8. Joe D. says:

Oh, and yes, I know what website this is. I am just surprised that you called it a “seemingly” amazing achievement, like it was something any kid could do, which makes me wonder what sort of kids you are in contact with. Both of my kids are easily smarter than almost everyone else their age around here, even at the advanced private schools and neither one could do that at two. parents with kids that CAN do these things have truly exceptional kids on their hands that will require work to keep them from getting bored at school. Good luck Angelique!

April 16th, 2010 at 7:54 am