A Compelling Argument

Comments

9 Responses to “A Compelling Argument”

1. Allison says:

That kid is adorable! His Bollywood dance moves were so cute! Though I do feel a little bad for him. He is clearly trying to explain but no one understands him and Mom seems very annoyed :(

April 19th, 2010 at 10:51 am

2. Dayna says:

So funny. It’s time to give that kid some milk like his brother. :)

April 20th, 2010 at 1:42 am

3. PAUL says:

1) Why you spending 3:14 trying to argue and reason witb a 12 month old?
    2) How does Mom manage to stand in front of the kid for 3:14 without totally busting out laughing?
    3) Why you not eat your food? Because it’s time to get JIGGY with it! Too cute!

April 20th, 2010 at 6:14 am

4. AnneK says:

I have waited a few days to post this in order to see if *anyone* else would have the same reaction I did; clearly I am in the minority, because I am appalled. The child is vocal and animated, but apparently two or less, yet the mother persists for over three minutes in trying to get a clear answer from a child who obviously not be articulate enough to satisfy her — does anyone else find this odd? Perhaps the cameraman/father is amused, but Mom is taking this far too seriously. I feel sad for the child growing up with expectations far higher than those normally associated with that age.

April 21st, 2010 at 11:44 am

5. Angelique says:

I think Mom was pulling a serious voice with the little guy to egg him on… I know I would if my one-year-old held such an extensive “conversation” with me on camera. The little guy didn’t seem to be upset by it until the end, at which point Mom clearly picks him up for a cuddle. I think if they were recording it, it’s because they thought it was cute.

April 21st, 2010 at 12:08 pm

6. Teacher Jennifer says:

Thanks, AnneK. I feel the same.

For me, the saddest part is when she hugs the older child because he ate his food, and rejects the baby.

April 21st, 2010 at 12:08 pm

7. Lily says:

Oh come on…these guys thought it was funny enough to post, they were just playing with the little guy. Angelique is right, the boy doesn’t seem bothered, and when he does he get’s picked up by his Mom. Lighten up a tad.

April 22nd, 2010 at 7:50 am

8. Mary says:

I agree with Angelique and Lily. The parents saw a cute opportunity to get put their little guy on camera. The little one is obviously imitating someone (probably his older brother) answer the question “Why…”. He didn’t seem at all bothered by it and they didn’t scold him for running off and dancing. The praising of the one child may have been a bit overboard, but then again he may learn that he will be praised if he does what he is asked. Either way, both ladies made a good point that when the little boy wanted to be picked up mom came to his rescue.
    I think the best part of this video is that the parents recognize something that triggers him to be more vocal and they use it (even in jest). Whatever gets a little one to talk, use inflections, and use gestures are stepping stones to a child who eventually will incorporate language into his or her dialogue.

April 23rd, 2010 at 8:30 pm

9. Miss X says:

He is cute but all I could think about was how we shouldn’t be forcing our kids to eat when there’s such an obesity problem. And I kept expecting him to puke! That would be a convincing argument. ;)

Ok, maybe i took it a bit too seriously.

April 25th, 2010 at 10:40 pm