Your take? The Belkiz Feedaway

Photo of a baby sitting in a cardboard feeding chair.Belkiz Feedaway is an Aussie-built cardboard feeding chair.

It’s composed of recycled cardboard, is decorated with water-based inks and is covered with a nontoxic food-grade coating so that spills wipe off.

Supporting up to 44lbs, a three-point polypropylene safety buckle and webbing hold your kid in place.

Assembled, the chair stands almost 25 inches tall with a 24 inch depth and width.

When folded flat it’s about 2.36 inches thick, 24 inches long and 26.5 wide.

Recommended usage is for up to 6 feedings per day for 30 days, then disposing of the chair. It retails for AUD $40 each. More bad news guys, yet again this is a product apparently not yet sold in America.

The company bills it as “the ultimate portable solution to traveling and eating away from home” and suggests it can be “used for temporary situations or where space is at a premium.”

GrowingYourBaby.com calls it “economical, easy to assemble temporary feeding chair that is environmentally considerate.”

Photo of the cardboard feeding chair in its compact format for travel.

Thingamababy.com calls it “contributing to our landfill after 30 days when a durable fabric chair could last through years of feedings, occupy less space in a travel bag, and be passed onto another child when it’s no longer needed by its first owner. Fabric could be messy, but if your babe is messy, count on goop getting all over the floor, not just your cardboard. Invest in a good wipe-clean wooden chair, such as the kind typically found in restaurants you dine at while traveling, or just buy a used plastic feeding chair like the one our family has been using for six years.”

Thinga-readers call it…

Comments

13 Responses to “Your take? The Belkiz Feedaway”

1. Keelie says:

Have to agree with your landfill statement. Hwo unnecessary is this item?? Can there be any more gaps left in the child-rearing market??

I remember shopping with a pregnant friend for a bath thermometer. We went to Priceline (an Aussie pharmacy) and when she asked the assistant (an older guy) where to find them, he laughed and said: “that’s what your elbow is for”.

Too true!

January 26th, 2010 at 3:44 am

2. LooneyJen says:

I’m assuming that the food grade coating makes it unrecycleable? That changes my initial reaction if that’s the case.

Initially, I couldn’t help but think about how insanely awesome this would be for travel. Often, we end up visiting older family members in other states that don’t have baby equipment on hand. (And we don’t visit often enough to necessitate buying any). Each trip ends up being a last minute scramble to try to find things like Pack and Plays and Booster seats.

(And anyone who says that you should just hold your kid in your lap and forgo the chair has apparently never had a) a messy eater and b) a kid who likes to sample from your plate).

This would easily fit into a suitcase, which I can’t say for most other feeding chairs. (Though this comes close http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Ted-27s-MeToo-Chair-Black/dp/B000H6R0T6 but then you’re dealing with making sure the thing can fit on Grandma’s ancient dining room table)

The fabric feeding chair that you linked to looked awesome, but what do you do when the baby is too short for the table?

Anyway, if I couldn’t recycle it, I wouldn’t buy it. And in all reality, I wouldn’t anyway, but I don’t think it’s THAT horrible of an idea :)

January 26th, 2010 at 6:30 am

LooneyJen, they state the product is completely recycleable.

Is a cardboard recycling bin/facility easy to locate in Australia while you’re on vacation? How about overseas? In some (many?) places in America you get looked at weird for recycling soda cans. Or would you pack the feeding chair back into your suitcase for your return trip?

January 26th, 2010 at 8:05 am

4. Shannon says:

My first take is that very few parents rushing to pack and get home are going to take the time to pack it back up and take it home for recycling. So unless the host is a dedicated recycler, it’s probably going to end up in a landfill.

My other take is that I don’t think I would trust cardboard to hold up that well. Can a coating really repel repeated dumpings of liquids by cup-training toddlers without becoming soggy?

January 26th, 2010 at 9:53 am

5. Phil H says:

Hey AJ – we’ve used the Fisher Price booster seat you linked to as our primary feeding chair for our 2 boys now. We strap it to a cloth-less folding chair which makes cleanup a snap. It’s awesome for travel… And it’s cheaper than the cardboard version. 30 days is the clincher for me. I’m just not a fan of throw-away products.

But I am pretty impressed with engineering that allows them to rate a cardboard chair for a 45 pounder! Maybe things are different down under, but an American baby product rated at 45 lbs. would probably mean it can safely carry 100 lbs.

Phil

January 26th, 2010 at 10:16 am

6. Allison says:

I have traveled a lot with my son and have to say that so far the 2 travel highchairs we have tried have been awful so I think there is a market for a good product. However, I don’t think this is it. It looks bulky, I know it folds flat but it still would take up space in a suitcase and unless you have a hard suitcase large enough for it I would think it might get damaged on the way to your destination.

I also have my doubts about how recyclable it is. I know our recycling company will not take cardboard (like pizza boxes) if they have had food on them so unless the cardboard stayed super clean it would end up in a landfill.

January 26th, 2010 at 10:24 am

$40 is not what I would call affordable for a 30-day use product!

January 26th, 2010 at 11:13 am

8. Kelly says:

This looks really safe if your child sits perfectly still, doesn’t kick their feet,swing back and forth in the seat, or try to lean over the side.

January 26th, 2010 at 1:42 pm

9. adrienne says:

First impression- it is short. Way too short to pull up to a table and still see the kid’s face.

It looks like a pain to carry and put together. It’s an “insert slot a into joint b” IQ test. Just what everyone needs after a long day of travel. I cannot imagine trying to use it in a restaurant setting although I suspect quite a bit of spectator snickering might occur.

The seat lacks a rigid crotch bar (this page’s google hits just expanded) and has a huge space under the tray. I know there’s a harness, but I’m a belt and suspenders kind of person.

And recyclable only counts if it actually makes it into recycling (or compost). Sealed in a modern landfill this won’t biodegrade for generations. My recycling facility doesn’t accept soiled cardboard (pizza boxes included), so the fate of a well-used Feedaway is uncertain.

January 26th, 2010 at 1:59 pm

10. observer says:

this seat looks like it would collapse on the first use. i could never leave a child in something that could fall over that easily. $40 are you kidding me!! thats more expensive than a regular portable high chair at the local store

January 26th, 2010 at 9:22 pm

11. gertie says:

My baby would eat this chair.

January 26th, 2010 at 11:50 pm

12. Angelique says:

I’m completely with AJ on this one. We use a http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534490&parentCategoryId=85181&categoryId=85205
    When visiting. We have an older version that didn’t have the rockers on the bottom. It folds nice and flat and fits in the bottom of a suitcase. Currently I use it at my office for my 10 month old on a daily basis (My kids come to work with me).

January 27th, 2010 at 12:23 pm

13. LooneyJen says:

I’d haul it back home… but then again, it would probably be the first to go if I had things to bring back in the suitcase that I acquired on the trip.

Gertie’s comment CRACKED me up.

And I didn’t even begin to think about the whole “soiled cardboard” recycling issue. That does it in.

January 28th, 2010 at 5:40 am