Drieyes: no-tears bath solution

Product photo showing four Drieyes visors of different colors standing on end and two eyeball-like protrusions extended from each of them.

Drieyes is a bug-eyed alien mask for bathtime fun.

No, wait, it’s a peculiar looking shower visor for keeping water out of your child’s eyes when you rinse his hair.

Unlike other rinsing solutions, this one your child holds up to his face on his own, gripping the visor’s eyeball stalks. It’s not held on by any fastening device.

The advantage of this design is that the water shield doesn’t touch the hairline, allowing for a complete rinse. Most cap-type products leave an area of the head covered by a band or a hat brim, forcing you to still do an un-shielded quick rinse at the end of bathtime.

Drieyes is recommended for preschool-age children, so, sorry, you just have to endure four years of terror. Another potential problem I see is when a nervous kid panics, drops the visor and total wet mayhem ensues, but maybe it’s smooth sailing after your kid gets used to the idea.

Photo of a boy placing the Drieyes visor to his head and water being poured over his head.

Photo of water cascading over the boy's visor and a second photo afterward with his eyes open and dry.

The visor is billed as being one-size-fits all, from 4-years-old to adult, made from Santoprene, a thermoplastic rubber. Press the visor against your forehead, then tilt the eyeball handles up or down to adjust the angle of the seal to fit your head.

It’s Aussie-made and retails for AUD $25 for a blue, pink, orange or yellow visor, but the presumably the unpopular green version is only AUD $20. The company will ship outside Australia, but shipping charges are determined on an individual basis and are not listed on the website.

How do you handle bathtime?

Comments

12 Responses to “Drieyes: no-tears bath solution”

1. Jeremy says:

I’ve got an 11 month old boy. He has no problems with having water poured all over his head and into his eyes. I warn him twice and pour. There is a big gasp when it’s all done, but he always comes out with a smile.

It’s a good idea, but nothing i would rush out to purchase.

January 28th, 2010 at 6:33 am

2. ping says:

Hmmmm yes Sofia used to love her bath up until maybe a year ago, she’s about to turn 3 anyday now. She didn’t mind having water poured on head or ducking under or anything water related really and then from one day to the next without any obvious reason as to why she HATED her bath. She screamed and shouted at the very idea of having a bath. Luckily for me my husband does the bathing in this house!! But he really struggled with her for about 6 months and then things seemed to ease up again. And now, well she doesn’t hate her bath and she enjoys playing with her toys in the bath and she enjoys washing herself but when it comes to the hair….it’s still a struggle, let’s just put it that way. And sorry to say this Jeremy but it seems very much like a phase that most small children go through. At the same time as Sofia a half dozen or so friends of mine were going through something similar with their little ones.
    Maybe not rush out and buy it but my general parenting motto is, dont write anything off!
    Strangely though Sofia still loved swimming! and still does, ducking underwater and everything! Children….who understands them???

January 28th, 2010 at 7:44 am

3. Allison says:

Yep, I have to second what Ping said here. My son was fine with the dousing until sometime between 2 and 3 years. Now it is a struggle. He is fine with baths but each one starts with “Mama are you going to wash my hair?! No washing my hair!” etc.

We bought one product visor thing but it required that he tilt his head back for it to work best which he would do right up until the water hit him then his instinct was to lean forward.

I think this product would have similar results for us, I don’t think he would hold it after the water starts pouring.

Instead of gadgets we have just started to focus on teaching him to close and wipe his eyes before opening them. We keep a dry towel ready and handy. We also mostly wash his hair with a washcloth instead of just dumping water over it to rinse.

January 28th, 2010 at 8:50 am

4. Angelique says:

Those are kinda fun. I don’t know that I’d go out of my way to order it from Australia, but if I saw it at my local spral-mart, I might buy it.

January 28th, 2010 at 9:53 am

5. Paul says:

Both kids used to really hate getting their eyes wet, to the point of ending the bath irrevocably in most cases. We (partly) solved it by trying to empower them. Whenever they want they can yell out “eye towel, dry towel, eye towel, dry towel” and we stop what we’re doing and dab their eyes with a soft fluffy dry towel we keep nearby. This has mostly made them more confident and (mostly) let us go ahead and do baths etc.

One subsequent problem is they expected the same service when swimming in the pool, but eventually got over that!

January 28th, 2010 at 1:31 pm

6. Elizabeth W. says:

My 3yo likes to just lean back on my arm and float on her back to get her hair rinsed. My arm supports her head. That’s how my mom always rinsed our hair…

January 28th, 2010 at 6:53 pm

7. Nancy T. says:

I use a dry washcloth, which either I hold or my son holds over his eyes. I fold it in half, cover the eyes and start pouring. The washcloth does obviously get wet and so does his eyes but it’s a slower process and if I am careful, they only get a little wet. Once I’m done dumping I grab a dry towel and wipe his eyes.

I have my mom to thank for this trick, when my boys stayed with my parents last summer they told me what Grandma does to keep the water out of their eyes.

January 28th, 2010 at 10:42 pm

8. Cathy @ Chief Family Officer says:

Our boys have just had to deal. We tell them to close their eyes if they don’t like the water. Swim lessons have helped!

I love the kookiness of this product, however …

January 29th, 2010 at 9:17 am

9. Teacher Jennifer says:

I say “Jack, I need to rinse your hair. Can you please look up at the light? is the light on or off?” etc. He looks up and I rinse his hair while we chat about the light, the ceiling, the shower curtain hooks, anything that’s up there.

January 29th, 2010 at 10:26 am

10. Tanya says:

My son is still young so we douse him with great relish. Also, he’s got huge eyebrows and eyelashes, so there’s not a lot of water in his eyes. Lucky bugger.

January 29th, 2010 at 3:34 pm

11. ping says:

Elizabeth W,
    That is what we used to do with Sofia but then one day she just didn’t like it anymore, she just didn’t like her bath anymore full stop! It’s better now but still not the same fun relaxing bath it used to be.

Teacher Jennifer,
    Yes we do this too, but often she gets distracted and/or bored and will just start to freak if the bathing process isn’t concluded within 10 minutes!

The one thing that has changed Sofia’s mind about her bath however is her little sister Ella, 8 months old, who loves the bath. Sofia likes to share a bath with Ella and that is our current trump card!

February 1st, 2010 at 9:00 am

12. Mishish says:

We almost never washed hair…. because of the screaming and fuss. I think as a result my daughter shamefully had cradle cap until about 3 and a half (don’t know if you call it that in the States – flakey scalp basically).

We tried a similar thing to this mask – more screaming.

Then I switched to “wash your hair and I’ll give you some chocolate”. Aaaah – bribery! Don’t knock it folks. She wants to wash her hair all the time now (she’s 4). I only wish I could do the same system for teeth cleaning :(

February 5th, 2010 at 2:56 am