Discuss: Baby Mamas Music Video

That’s a cover of Beyonce’s Single Ladies song made for an Adventures in Babywearing contest which won someone a $540 baby sling, and no, the sling wasn’t encrusted in diamonds.

The video is titled Baby Mamas. Because the dancers appear to be wearing wedding rings, one can assume they don’t mean to be invoking the original meaning of the term ‘baby mama’ which refers to an unmarried woman who has given birth.

So, what say the ladies? Does your love of promoting babywearing outweigh any reaction to the sexualization of said activity? I’m not suggesting a woman can’t look pretty while carrying a baby, just that this whole endeavor was in bad taste. For me, the lyrics are at odds with the imagery.

Oh, and what about the fathers? Dads don’t wear babies? Why so sexist? Is it because seeing a guy wearing sexy clothing and engaging in some bumping and grinding while wearing an infant would make you uncomfortable? Double standard?

Comments

12 Responses to “Discuss: Baby Mamas Music Video”

1. Elizabeth W. says:

I think that alot of people have this image of sandal-footed, crunchy, hippie mamas using baby slings (I don’t by the way, but that is the feeling I get from others) and that regular folk should just use a bouncy seat or stroller or some other contraption to hold baby. While I personally wouldn’t have picked this particular song and dance to try to popularize babywearing, I think that anything that might make people think more positively about keeping their babies close with a sling is a good thing. And i’m sure that people who already think babywearing is a great idea aren’t going to let this video turn them off so no harm no foul I say.

December 19th, 2009 at 2:20 pm

2. Elizabeth W. says:

Oh – and someone posted a link to this video in my local API Yahoo group recently and the general consensus from the mamas in the group that the most impressive thing about this videos is that those women are not only dancing with babies in slings – they are dancing in HEELS with babies in slings – now that takes talent!

December 19th, 2009 at 2:24 pm

3. adrienne says:

I’d class it in the realm of parody, and it IS a really well made video for a contest entry.

The heels and the dancing with real babies (though I think the woman on the right doesn’t have any living thing in her sling) are impressive.

I’m more offended that there’s a $540 sling. My laptop cost less than that.

December 19th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

4. Inki says:

I think it’s a funny video, that’s all… I saw it about a week ago when a friend posted it to Facebook, and I fail to see this as sexualization of babywearing. To me it’s just a parody, and a well-made one.
    As to why there aren’t any fathers, I’m guessing the original video only has women? Or that the person who made the video just got a couple of her friends together and they happened to be female? I don’t think there was a conscious effort to exclude the fathers (but of course I have no idea of the thought process that went into this).
    As a babywearing mama, I am not in any way offended :-)

December 20th, 2009 at 3:43 am

5. Jeanne says:

I LOVE this video. I think you’re reading too much into it this time. It’s a parody.

And if you had come into my home when Ben was between 2 and 6 months you actually would have seen me wearing him in a wrap and “bumping and grinding” like the video (sans high heels, I’m not insane) to calm him down.

Around here you can take a lot of baby and me exercise classes where you wear your child and dance or do yoga.

While I would never spend so much on a sling (my Moby and Ergo were pricey enough), I think it’s unfair to complain about a $540 sling and not mention the equally ridiculous prices (the Stokke!) people will pay for strollers. Babywearing mamas are not all that insane, no more so than mamas who use strollers.

December 20th, 2009 at 4:46 am

I completely get that it’s a parody. That doesn’t negate my feelings about the (to me, exceedingly clear) sexualization, or the perceived (by me alone, apparently) double-standard if it were to feature men doing a bump ‘n’ grind while wearing an infant. I say it knowing full well that every comment I’ve read about the video anywhere has women completely loving it.

December 20th, 2009 at 10:39 am

7. Jeanne says:

I’ve been thinking about your comment about double standards, and, aside from the occasional ad trying to show that “hey, men can use the product too!” there aren’t a lot of photos of men out there in slings, particularly after the newborn phase. Maybe we need to get more images out there in the same way PhD in Parenting is getting out images of breastfeeding moms to counteract the oversupply of bottlefeeding images.

December 21st, 2009 at 6:14 am

8. AJsMomma says:

Hmmm…I think I’m with AJ on this one. The whole grinding thing may qualify as dancing but honestly – it just looks icky to me. And yes, if my husband were to do that while carrying our daughter in just her Bjorn at the time, someone probably would have called the cops! I think they could have been a bit more tasteful – they did a good job – but could have played more on humor than the sexy moves.

December 21st, 2009 at 7:08 am

9. Ameya says:

I actually like that this has mama’s looking good and being fabulous for once. Too often society saint-ifies & completely de-sexualizes the mother, and that truly does us no favors either. You’re either a hawt independent woman, or you’re a mousey soccermom. Why are mom’s supposed to de-sexualized more than other women? That’s not a question to you specifically, just in general.

I follow the blog that the contest run on, and now the maker of this video’s as well. I think it’s an awesome way to introduce more people to babywearing.

People don’t use babymama/daddy just for unmarried couples anymore. All of my friends use it, regardless of marital status.

Weren’t the dance moves pretty much right from the Beyonce video? That was my impression. I still thought it was a fabulous use of something big in popculture right now for a babywearing contest. I love it.

I think Sakurabloom slings are RIDICULOUSLY expensive, BUT a PP made a great point. Strollers are ridiculous as well. You can certainly find very affordable slings/other carriers, and you can find cheaper strollers as well. There will always be a market for crazy priced stuff.

Also, i think if there were men doing it, it’d be funny. Movies cash in on men trying (too) hard to hit on women while around/holding a baby/kid all the time, and it’s always a comedic scene, not a pervy one.

@jeanne- True, and i would LOVE to see more babywearing dads, there are some out there though! I’ve seen pictures of one of the twilight actors carrying his baby around hollywood in a sling, (i think with a leather jacket on too, which makes it all the more awesome, lol) and I know there are a few sites & blogs out there that feature dads in slings & such. But of course, more would certainly never hurt!

December 21st, 2009 at 9:59 am

10. ginger watson says:

I can’t get to the main issues of this debate because I’m just so amazed at how fabulous these women look. My baby is 7 months and let’s just say no one wants to see me in a leotard and heels. This was a very clever video. Beyonce’s video is becoming iconic! (See the version from Glee http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ornIWg0VG7g)

Glamourizing baby wearing a bit makes very good sense to me! It’s still a bit foreign here in Texas.

December 21st, 2009 at 12:00 pm

11. Adventures In Babywearing says:

The Sakura Bloom Triathlon contestants were asked to submit a video for the third round and it could be anything about babywearing. I am certain Leigh made this video in PURE fun. No other agenda, I promise!! And she did a fabulous job. :)

Steph

December 24th, 2009 at 6:19 pm

12. observer says:

i think the reason that there are no men in the video is because not many men spend every waking moment with their child like women tend to do. ( not that thats a good thing. dads need to get more involved in their children’s lives in this culture. kudos to those who do,)

December 27th, 2009 at 11:08 pm