My Wondercube: the tissue box baby toy

Photo of the My Wondercube cloth baby toy and a photo of a baby pulling cloth swatches from the cube as the swatches are attached at the corners.

My Wondercube replicates the fun babies and toddlers have pulling tissues from a box and stuffing them back in.

At first I thought, oh how dumb. But no, it’s not as if you’re going to give your baby a real tissue box.  Wonderube is so simple, so brilliant.

The toy consists of a fabric cube with fabric swatches stuffed inside. The cubes comes in three styles — organic cotton jersey, fairtrade organic woven cotton and a wooden cube.  The fabric cubes are machine washable and rated from birth on up. The wooden cube is rated for 2-year-olds (which isn’t so strange, see below).

Each cube style differs in artwork and the number of swatches included, 4, 5 or 6 pieces. Some swatches make crinkly noises, others offer differing textures such as silk, corduroy, velvet and denim. Best of all, the swatches can be linked together at their Velcro corners, creating a magician pulling scarves from a hat effect.

And, you can buy extra swatches, what the company calls “fillings” — dinosaurs; rabbits; alphabet letters; shapes; and numbers with plus, minus and equals signs. The alphabet is available as a set, or sold by individual letter. A teacher could presumably incorporate the letters, alphabet and numbers into a preschool or kindergarten program.

There’s only one downside to My Wondercube. The dang thing is only sold in the United Kingdom and no one seems to ship to North America yet. The cubes retail for £15, £18 and £24. The filling sets range in price from £7 to £20 (£1 each for individual letters).
Photo of My Wondercube alphabet swatches and a photo of toddlers pulling connected swatches from a wooden My Wondercube.

Comments

12 Responses to “My Wondercube: the tissue box baby toy”

1. Kendra aka The Meanest Momma says:

seems like a great idea, but way too pricey.

You could easily replicate the concept at home for $0.

check out this homemade version i found:

October 23rd, 2009 at 7:32 am

That’s a great idea if you’re using plain fabric as opposed to swatches with letters or numbers, but it lasts only until your toddler crushes the cardboard box. In my case, there would be a couple minute gap, then my kid is standing on top of the box taking delight in smooshing it flat.

October 23rd, 2009 at 7:38 am

3. AnneK says:

I am recalling a scene from one of the Ramona books (Ramona and her Mother???) where Ramona decides the best present for young Willa Jean is a whole box of tissues to play with . . .

October 23rd, 2009 at 9:26 am

4. skeeter says:

I used to make these for my child care babies like the link in the first comment. Sure, they might only last the day but it’s free, and you always have tissue boxes. A slightly sturdier way is to cut a hole in the bottom of an ice cream container and cover in sticky back plastic. The children could help to make letters etc by using markers on fabric.

October 23rd, 2009 at 10:07 am

5. susan says:

I do this with an old wipes container (Huggies is the best because it has a nice soft top) and felt squares. Felt does not fray when cut and you can buy them by the sheet cheaply in any craft store or the Walmart craft section.

October 23rd, 2009 at 10:16 am

I was planning to do something very similar by using an old tissue box and play silks to go inside!

October 23rd, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Okay, okay, in an effort to remain relevant I’ll ask, what if your toddler slathers his mouth over everything? Wouldn’t you prefer organic fabric in his mouth instead of facial tissues?

October 23rd, 2009 at 4:32 pm

8. Angelique says:

AJ, why don’t you Etsy one up? For those unfamiliar, Etsy is a website for buying and selling handmade items. They have a function called “Alchemy”, which allows you to describe the item you’d like created. Then people will bid on making that item for you. Or, you can find a crafter with something you like, then make a special request for a custom item. I LOVE Etsy. While you’re there, check out all the felt play food. It’s drool-worthy.

October 23rd, 2009 at 5:14 pm

9. Kathleen says:

Let me just say….HOORAY a product that my boys would absolutely LOVE!!!!!!! The at home cost effective version w/ an old kleenex box is a nice idea in theory. However, in reality, it would be destroyed in about 2.3 milliseconds…..or less. If you hear back from the company and they will ship to the US, please post, I know 2 boys who would die for this under the Christmas tree….and grandparents who would love to purchase! Thanks :)

October 23rd, 2009 at 8:24 pm

*shhrugs* If a kleenex box doesn’t work, I’ll buy a plastic wipes box to use instead. But my son doesn’t destroy cardboard boxes that fast usually.

October 24th, 2009 at 9:54 am

11. JenRae says:

i like the idea of making one with a plastic wipes box!!!

October 27th, 2009 at 4:25 pm

12. Elizabeth says:

“At first I thought, oh how dumb. But no, it’s not as if you’re going to give your baby a real tissue box.”

I beg to differ – our traditional First Christmas gift for babies in our house is a box of tissues. There’s nothing like the real thing when it comes to babies (as anyone knows who has ever tried to distract a baby with baby keys when they have managed to get ahold of your real expensive available-only-through-the-dealership electronic-topped van keys). One of our children, I don’t remember who, actually spent a full half hour in intense concentration not only pulling the tissues out of the box, but also shredding each tissue into confetti. Not an every day toy probably, but certainly a holiday hit around here.

November 22nd, 2009 at 12:18 pm