In Photos: Love and Hate

Photo of my 5-year-old daughter nuzzling my 18-month-old son as she leans over from her chair to his feeding chair during lunch.

Photo of my 5-year-old daughter nuzzling her 18-month-old brother as she leans over from her chair to his feeding chair during lunch.

Moments later, my son pulling his sister's hair. It's a game to him, not so much to her. He does it a few times a week, but then hugs her to apologize.

In other news, our son is being assessed by a speech pathologist and a developmental specialist this week due to his being 18-months-old and speaking only one word (“Mama” which can mean Mom, Dad or Sister).

Comments

8 Responses to “In Photos: Love and Hate”

1. RobMonroe says:

Love the pictures!

I have several friends that have had speech pathologists come in and help out n great ways. I hope that the same is true for you.

October 14th, 2009 at 3:35 am

2. Sarah M says:

So cute. I wouldnt worry too much about the speech, my son only had one word (cat) and as soon as he turned 2 he’s started labeling things, a bunch of half words, appa (apple), nee (bunny), brimbo (rainbow), hamma (hammer), sta (star) and really a whole bunch of new words in such a short time, he’ll speak when he’s good and ready.

October 14th, 2009 at 4:04 am

3. Karen says:

HI AJ,

Good for you for taking some action about your concerns surrounding your son’s development. Best case, you find out he is just fine. If he needs some help, you are getting him help early.

I’ve been enjoying your blog for a long time now. Thanks for providing lots of laughs! I especially loved your Folkmanis puppets and Playmobile posts.

Karen

October 14th, 2009 at 9:57 am

4. KGS says:

Yup, those photos pretty much encapsulate what being a big sister is like! Good luck with everything.

October 14th, 2009 at 9:58 am

5. Sandy W. says:

I think it’s always good to get an early assessment if there are concerns. Our oldest (age 6) has high functioning autism and we think he falls in the “high functioning” category BECAUSE we got very early intervention. Now his differences between his peers are hardly recognizable.

We also had our youngest (who is now almost 3) diagnosed at that age because he wasn’t talking much either. Turns out he’s completely typical. Now we can hardly get him to stop talking. It certainly did ease our minds though to have the evaluation done by the speech therapist back when he was younger. I hope your minds are eased too.

October 14th, 2009 at 6:09 pm

6. Rachel says:

Ahh hair pulling. My favorite. My 2 yr. old enjoys sitting on her sister’s head(almost 5) with two fist fulls of hair. My toddler was also a late talker with her go to words being “ba” for bottle and “Meh” for get me one now, I mean RIGHT now, DO IT!!

October 14th, 2009 at 8:10 pm

7. LooneyJen says:

Many good wishes for answers! He sure is cute. And he definitely knows how to torment his sister. Highly developmentally normal :)

October 15th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

8. Lori says:

My best friend’s son turns 2 in March and has no words at all. He just grunts. Her older son was the same way, until suddenly he couldn’t shut up. Now he’s 4, and he is more articulate than most adults. Kids are taking everything in, all the time. They need to make the transition on their own. Yours will, too.

Another language story: a friend’s sister taught her daughter sign language when she was a baby. Full-on ASL signing with proper sentence construction. The kid didn’t speak at all. No grunts, no sounds. But she could sign, fluently. Then, when she was about three, she signed to her mother for “milk”. Mom was sitting, talking and not paying attention. So she tapped her mom on the shoulder and said, “Mommy, may I please have a glass of milk?” My friend’s sister fell out of her chair.

October 27th, 2009 at 1:05 am