One reason to use your stroller brake

My wife always nags me to flip on the brake on our stroller when stopping on a seemingly flat surface, no matter how brief the stop. Here’s a reminder why:

Using a stroller tether would probably have worked too. The baby survived with just a bump on his head.

Comments

9 Responses to “One reason to use your stroller brake”

1. Angelique says:

Saw this on the news this morning.

Terrifying. TERRIFYING. Hugged my baby a bit tighter this morning.

October 16th, 2009 at 9:30 am

2. anjii says:

Wow! Admittedly, I usually don’t use the brakes in flat parking lots, etc… that’s going to change now! Thanks for the wake up call!!!

October 16th, 2009 at 9:58 am

3. adrienne says:

You just made me cry. I rewatched how close the mother came to getting hit as well. What an awful thing to experience. Message received.

October 16th, 2009 at 11:56 am

4. Kimberly says:

Too soon postpartum for me to watch this video, but the other comments say enough.

Brakes good.

October 16th, 2009 at 2:28 pm

5. Shannon says:

I couldn’t watch it either. Between the story of the twins drowning, and the Oakland mom having to watch her four children burn through a barred window, I can’t take anymore tragedies or near-tragedies involving children. Guess I’m still hormonal…

October 16th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

6. Mary says:

Wow. I’m in shock. She is lucky her son was not killed. She is also lucky that she did not get hurt.

I’ll be more cognizant of things like putting on the brakes of my daughter’s stroller.

October 16th, 2009 at 6:14 pm

7. june says:

My husband laughs when I use the tether every single time I push the stroller anywhere…so I feel vindicated. But what an awful, awful thing to watch. Maybe I’ll make my husband watch it, and we’ll see if his tether use increases.

October 16th, 2009 at 6:38 pm

8. Michaela says:

Your wife cares about the safety of your child and if you did too, you wouldn’t call it nagging.

October 16th, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Way to miss the point Michaela, but thanks for impugning my character. It’s much appreciated.

October 16th, 2009 at 10:21 pm