Name your most anticipated parenting activity

Penn Jillette, the speaking half of the Penn and Teller illusion-comedy team, has video-blogged about a momentous event in his parenting career. His children, Zolton and Moxie, age 3 and 4, saw the Three Stooges for the first time.

He says:

“One of the things I’ve thought about since I first planned to have children was the joy of watching the (Three) Stooges with my children.”

What are some of the things you have desperately been anticipating doing with your kids since you became a parent and thought of the years that lie ahead?

My wife while still pregnant: She teared up in Target seeing cone-shaped birthday hats and cards.

Me: Building with Lego blocks, playing board games, camping, and watching Doctor Who with fanatic devotion. My wife thinks Doctor Who is a recent thought, but no, it’s been gnawing at me since the TV series was revised in 2005 when my daughter was 1-year-old. I suppose I’ll also cherish introducing her to a few movies such as The Muppet Movie and Raiders of the Lost Arc. (I’d say Star Wars, but the follow-up prequel and obscene mass merchandising makes the original not quite as special.)

What do you look forward to sharing with your kids that hearkens back to your own childhood?

Comments

16 Responses to “Name your most anticipated parenting activity”

Legos (already started). Playing Board Games (Starting him down this path with Candyland castle and Go away Monsters). Sharing my dollhouse (not this kid)

October 2nd, 2009 at 5:35 am

2. Angelique says:

Camping, some of my best childhood memories are of camping

Crayons! Loads and loads of glorious new crayons!

Christmas morning.

And the little things, like walking in the rain, fluffernutter sandwiches, homemade playdough, cookies warm from the oven, so many little things…

October 2nd, 2009 at 7:02 am

3. adrienne says:

Fort building, board games, and baking.

October 2nd, 2009 at 7:24 am

4. Teresa says:

Rock climbing, canoeing trips, water parks, Disneyland.

October 2nd, 2009 at 8:13 am

5. KGS says:

Reading my own favorite books from childhood at bedtime! I tell people this is the main reason we decided to have kids instead of sticking with just a dog, and I’m only partly kidding.

October 2nd, 2009 at 10:35 am

6. Erin & Steve says:

Singing with our daughter. Disney World. Camping. Disney Movies. Disney Camping. Older kids books (Narnia, Harry Potter, Tolkien).

October 2nd, 2009 at 11:59 am

7. Stephanie says:

Scrabble on a quiet Sunday night. She’s learning her words now at 2 1/2, but it will cool when she can spell them on her own.

October 2nd, 2009 at 12:32 pm

8. Dayna says:

I really looked forward to my daughter’s first time at Disney World. We went there last winter when she was 3 1/2. As an adult, It is not my kind of place at all, but seeing the place through her eyes made it amazing.

October 2nd, 2009 at 2:16 pm

9. gertie says:

Spending all day playing in a creek. Reading novels at bedtime. Recommending their first “grown up” (beyond young adult fiction) novel. Watching some of my old favorite sci fi movies together (when they’re teenagers, and if they are interested).

October 2nd, 2009 at 7:47 pm

10. Judy B says:

Snorkeling, seeing a movie in a theater, making a homemade gift for Daddy, wrapping it up and giving it to him.

October 4th, 2009 at 8:14 am

11. ffarfan says:

1. My son was like 2 weeks old when I saw a sign for T-ball baseball for kids as young as 3 years old! He turned 3 this past February and he LOVES playing baseball!!
    2. LEGO! Still looking forward to initiate him into LEGO City, though!
    3. Playing music with them! Although I never ever imagined we’d spend hours pretending to be the Imagination Movers!

October 5th, 2009 at 7:43 am

12. Lily says:

Holiday traditions and handmade gifts

October 5th, 2009 at 5:23 pm

13. Teacher Jennifer says:

Cooking, exploring nature, going to the museums… really, it all comes down to watching him discover, learn, and grow. So fulfilling for both child and (anxious teacher) parent :)

October 5th, 2009 at 9:19 pm

14. Sandy W. says:

Building snowmen and sledding in the snow all day and then warming up inside with a cup of hot chocolate.

October 7th, 2009 at 1:44 am

15. brettdl says:

Well, since I’m taking the kids camping next week, I guess I’m living that one. I have had visions though of taking two-three months to hike the Oregon or Appalachian trail with the kiddies when they’re a lot older.

October 8th, 2009 at 5:48 am

16. Mark says:

Going to Arizona State football and baseball games and turning him into a rabid Sun Devil fan, playdates with my longtime friends who all seemed to have kids around the same time as we did and hoping our children would be great friends as well, introducing Looney Toons and Robotech.

October 12th, 2009 at 11:47 pm