TMBG: Science is Real

Check out this new music video from They Might Be Giants entitled Science is Real.

It’s from TMBG’s‘ new CD/DVD, Here Comes Science, which is only being sold on Amazon as a CD/DVD on Tuesday and right now on iTunes. Me no on John & John’s publicist’s list so me not have advance copy and me opposed to world’s largest digital downloader, so me rely on you to tell me level of awesome.

Here’s another track from the CD, Electric Car.

Here’s the track list:

1. Science Is Real
  2. Meet the Elements
  3. I Am a Paleontologist w/Danny Weinkauf
  4. The Bloodmobile
  5. Electric Car w/Robin Goldwasser
  6. My Brother the Ape
  7. What Is a Shooting Star?
  8. How Many Planets?
  9. Why Does the Sun Shine?
  10. Why Does the Sun Really Shine?
  11. Roy G. Biv
  12. Put It to the Test
  13. Photosynthesis
  14. Cells
  15. Speed and Velocity w/Marty Beller
  16. Computer Assisted Design
  17. Solid Liquid Gas
  18. Here Comes Science Bonus Track
  19. The Ballad of Davy Crockett (in Outer Space)

I’m intrigued to hear what TMBG fans and non-fans think of the Science is Real song. I expect a level of controversy in the general population over an intro line in the song. Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

“Science is real. From the Big Bang to DNA.
Science is real. From evolution to the Milky Way.
I like those stories about angels, unicorns and elves
Now, I like the stories as much as anybody else.
But, when I’m seeking knowledge,  either simple or abstract
The facts are with science. The facts are with science.
Science is real. From an anatomy to geology.
Science is real. From astrophysics to biology.
A scientific theory isn’t just a hunch or guess.
It’s more like a question that’s been put through a lot of tests.
And, when a theory emerges consistent with the facts,
The truth is with science. The truth is with science.”

Read more at Wired’s article, They Might Be Giants keeps pop kid-friendly with smart science.

Comments

10 Responses to “TMBG: Science is Real”

1. anjii says:

I am SO excited to hear about this CD/DVD set!!! We have thier ABCs and 123s sets, and LOVE THEM!!! As well as the No! CD.

As far as the mention of the Big Bang, while I disagree with that both on a level of faith, and on a level of research, I don’t object to it being there. I know many Christians who carefully shield their kids from any mention of things against our beliefs, or hard to explain (evolution, ghosts, Halloween, etc), I see these as opportunities to open discussions about what we believe and why, on an age appropriate level. We’ve already had discussions about evolution, spurred by the line

“Raisins come from Grapes
    People come from Apes
    I come from Canada”

on the Barenaked Ladies Snacktime CD (another GREAT favorite CD of ours).

Thanks for letting us know about this new release. I’ll be ordering mine on Tuesday :)

September 2nd, 2009 at 8:40 am

2. KGS says:

I think if people listen past the second line and actually hear the “it’s more like a question that’s been through a lot of tests,” they’ll have less trouble with the evolution reference and a more reasonable idea of what science is supposed to be about. It’s not generally about “the Truth,” but testing ideas about the world and building more ideas on top of them.

As for the Barenaked Ladies, as an anthropologist I get irritated when people say humans came from apes. We just think they shared a common ancestor, for goodness’ sakes– no one is claiming chimps turned into us!

September 2nd, 2009 at 9:01 am

3. Joe says:

Yes! I love this! It’s hard to find kids music that isn’t eardrum rupturing. Thanks for the TMBG update.

September 2nd, 2009 at 9:16 am

We like They Might be Giants. And yes, this is another place for discussion. But it does mean it is a CD that won’t be purchased or played in our house until our kids are older and ready to discuss. 1) It means supporting them in making these attacks on not just creation but religion and general 2) a 2 year old does not reason, they parrot back what they hear. So I’m going to shield and be careful that this seed is not laid in a rollicking good tune that is catchy, “and my parents played it too!” thus giving it that cachet of truth.

I don’t mind having things about evolution in there — the kids are going to see it because so much of the world takes evolution on faith. I want my kids to treat the subject very much the way I did growing up, able to parrot back what is needed to pass the test if necessary, but also able to see the assumptions behind the statements.

September 2nd, 2009 at 12:09 pm

5. Lisa says:

I love that they state “A scientific theory isn’t just a hunch or guess/It’s more like a question that’s been put through a lot of tests.” This is one of the most fundamental misunderstandings of how science works, and something the undergrads I teach seemed to never have learned. Technically, gravity is scientific theory, just like evolution and relativity. They usually are surprised to think about it.

I don’t see this song as attacking religion…science uses fact to support hypotheses. When enough fact is stacked up, hypothesis is elevated to theory. If fact disproves hypothesis, then the hypothesis is discarded. I think that the mention of stories of angels, unicorns, and elves is meant to illustrate that without physical evidence of their existence (“fact”) we cannot place these under the umbrella of science. After all, you cannot prove the non-existence of something. Maybe you just haven’t found it yet. Because science cannot prove nor disprove these things, they do not belong under the umbrella of science. Of course, if they were to sing everything I just wrote, it would be a very boring song that most kids wouldn’t like.

September 2nd, 2009 at 5:53 pm

6. Diana (Ladybug Limited) says:

I have to say “ditto” to My Boaz’s Ruth. Seeing the lyrics to “Science is Real” is enough to make me put this on the better-when-the-kiddos-are-older list (as they’re almost 4 and 6 now.) We dearly love our other 3 TMBG albums (No, ABCs, and 123s), but to us “Faith is Real” and more important…

September 3rd, 2009 at 8:12 pm

7. Paul says:

Thanks this was a great find and a great buy (i used iTunes). My two year old begs for the Bloodmobile song daily, as well as electric car.

I have to keep remembering only to read your column when I build up a few bucks in my wallet! At least you save me all the time deciding what to buy ;-)

September 12th, 2009 at 1:42 pm

8. Thomas Peterson says:

I found this CD to the best out of all of them. It seems that the TMBG are growing at the same rate as my children. No longer do they need ABC songs, but now they exploring science. Making their own hypothesis and putting them to the test.

It’s funny (and sad) My Boaz’s Ruth wrote “a 2 year old does not reason, they parrot back what they hear. So I’m going to shield and be careful that this seed is not laid in a rollicking good tune that is catchy, ‘and my parents played it too!’ thus giving it that cachet of truth.” The whole moral of the song “science is real” is what the truth is. I shield my children from religion because they parrot back what they hear. Children need to be raised knowing what is real and what is fantasy. When they are older and if they chose to make an informed decision and decide to worship any of the numerous gods that we have spun stories about, it will be their own decision as an adult. But until then, I will raise them be rational and not superstitious. They do not believe in ghosts, devils, fairies, gods or angels. They learn tolerance, to always ask why and how, and place their time in science and history books.

November 30th, 2009 at 5:59 pm

9. Graeme says:

@ Thomas, I’m so glad you wrote that, it’s exactly what I was thinking. Children do indeed parrot back everything they hear, and it is very important we don’t infect their vulnerable brains with untestable fantasy presented as fact, like religion. Contrary to comments above, (intelligent) people do not take evolution on faith, they take it on irrefutable proof consistent with the facts. Remember ‘that fact is just a fantasy, unless it can be checked.’ test it out!

January 3rd, 2010 at 4:59 pm

10. steven sligar says:

the opening line is amazing. such a subtle way of saying something so real. religion only works through teaching people make believe stories before they are old enough to experience life for what is really is. thanks TMBG

January 10th, 2010 at 2:27 pm