Smooshies: Mr. Potato Head from an Alternate Universe

Photo of a bunch of unassembles Smooshies body parts and three assembles Smooshies dolls.

Smooshies by Westrim Crafts are plush creature dolls you assemble from Velcro-enabled body parts. You can buy one of four creature kits that each make one complete doll, or buy individual interchangeable parts to play Dr. Frankenstein.

A base torso can accommodate arms, legs, hair, ears, horns or “thingamajigs.” The dolls are rated for ages 3-and-up, a rating that excludes 2-year-olds because of the sometimes fatal Pica eating disorder in which kids acquire an appetite for non-nutritive inanimate objects, like, say, anything that fits in their mouths.

According to a news release, the invention of these dolls was inspired by the success of Ugly Dolls, a mass-produced version of the type of kitschy plush monster doll you expect to find on Etsy.

Two photos of Smooshies dolls.

I admit, Smooshies are as ugly as Ugly Dolls, mostly because the company tried its darnedest to make its product’s overall appearance be roughly equivalent to what a schizophrenic LSD-tripping hobo experiences while chewing a mouth full of Smarties. Woof. They’re bad.

But will a kid love Smooshies? Maybe.

The suggested retail price is $10 for a complete doll kit while individual parts go for $2. So far they are being sold in select brick’n'mortar Jo-Ann and Michaels stores in the US. I attempted some store reconnaissance, but both stores in my area aren’t hip to The Smoosh.

The websites for Jo-Ann, Hancock Fabrics, and Ben Franklin Crafts are selling Smooshies. Jo-Ann has the best prices, but the company’s website is selling tetra-amelia Smooshies — no arms or legs. That makes them pretty much plush Frisbees with faces.

Two photos of Smooshies dolls.

Also see previously:

Warning: Mr. Potato Head was discontinued long ago and many of the Fantanimal links are dead. Plush assemble-yourself dolls for “open-ended play” don’t seem to be much of a financial success for some reason.

Comments

8 Responses to “Smooshies: Mr. Potato Head from an Alternate Universe”

1. Mariana Perri says:

Ok… let’s put it this way… Ugly dolls are ugly but funny… I love them, but would NEVER buy one for my kids! I am afraid of the repercussions that would lead to as far as her poor sleeping patterns go… These smoochies go along the same lines!lol
    Especially because I am not too fond of games and toys that come apart… After about 3 hours I am always left with the “gathering the pieces around the house on my own” part of the toy… nehhh…

August 14th, 2009 at 9:44 am

2. Shannon says:

When you say that Mr. Potato Head was discontinued, you only mean the plush version, right?

August 14th, 2009 at 10:22 am

3. Allison says:

I never really got the appeal of the Ugly dolls. I don’t really get he appeal of this either. I don’t think at this point it would appeal to my child anymore then any other stuffed animal which he has too many of already.

August 14th, 2009 at 2:18 pm

4. Tanya says:

I’m kind of leary of buying any toys that are sold at Jo-Ann Fabrics. They seem to have a lot of kids’ items that get recalled.

August 14th, 2009 at 4:59 pm

5. Noreen says:

maybe a smaller version that came with lots of extra parts might do better

August 14th, 2009 at 10:39 pm

6. Kara says:

I agree with Tanya about being uncomfortable buying toys at Jo-Anns or other big box craft stores.

My five year old got a Make Your Monster Puppet (Melissa and Doug) at his birthday party and it’s pretty cute. He’s had a good time playing with it so far and I’ve not found all the pieces all over the house (it comes in a reusable zipper bag).

August 15th, 2009 at 9:35 am

7. Jennie D says:

I think the reason this type of toy hasn’t been much of a financial success is because they’re marketed to the wrong age group.

I love this idea & know my 2yo will too. He loves his plastic Potato Head (and has since age 1), but occasionally gets frustrated with the difficulty of plugging & removing the pieces. Hence my opinion that this type of toy should be age rated from 1 & up rather than 3 & up.
    I wish they’d give a age rating by common interest/capability rather than a small parts warning. I am all for supervised play with most toys not deemed age appropriate.

August 17th, 2009 at 6:55 am

8. Amber says:

I’m about 98% certain that my almost-three year old, who adores Monsters, Inc and begs me for the plush dolls made for Where the Wild Things Are every time we’re at barnes and noble, would LOVE these.

August 17th, 2009 at 4:07 pm