MyWallaby: a new doll transport device for golden children

Photo of the myWallaby Agile bag converting from a purse to doll carrier.
MyWallaby
is a purse for 3-years-and-up that converts to a doll carrier. It hit the market this month.

In carrier mode, the purse can house a doll between 12- and 18-inches-long or quite a few 4-inch Star Wars action figures. I mean the original Kenner, not the Hasbro crap kids eat up these days.

The first design of the bag, dubbed the Agile Bag, is available in several colors: Cotton Candy, Isle of Capri, Sunrise Surprise, Pine Cone, Blue Topaz or Imperial Stormtrooper white. Well, maybe not white.

Given such fanciful titles, you may be wondering where the myWallaby name originates. Wallabies are Kangaroo-like macropods (think marsupials) that are smaller than kangaroos, but look enough like kangaroos that us simple folk in North America think they are kangaroos. The bag is named after the Agile Wallaby which inhabits Australia and New Guinea. A wallaby emblem adorns the front of the purse. But I digress.

MyWallaby is made in America.

See, it all makes sense now. Let’s get back to fancy girl things.

Two marketing photos of girls wearing the myWallaby with their dolls as they walk around New York City posing and window shopping.

The purse-carrier is the brainchild of a wife-husband team that worked hard to make a bag “that today’s girls demand.”

From a news release:

“After seeing so many girls around NYC with their dolls tucked under their arms, stuffed into backpacks or even into shopping bags, we knew we could create a product that would help girls transport and display their dolls in style.” –Myriam Hildenbrand, owner.

“What really sets the myWallaby Agile Bag apart from others is that it is designed to carry a doll facing forward in an expandable pocket that resembles a real Wallaby pouch.” –Eric Hildenbrand, man.

The proper positioning of the doll carrier is at the hip — front-facing, rear-facing or at the side. This positioning alleviates confusing the product with a mini-version of a baby carrier that mom wears at chest level in a wrap, sling or any of a range of ugly contraptions that resemble tandem-jump parachute vests.

As a fashion accessory, parents who buy the myWallaby should also invest in a generous supply of new, high-style ensembles as seen on children birthed by celebrities.

Accordingly, buy a DSLR camera, one with a sizable lens so as to simulate paparazzi as you follow your daughter around the city. If the camera fits in your pocket, it’s too small. Come on Mom, don’t embarrass us.

Alternately, establish a house rule that toys don’t leave the house. If established from birth, you have to say, “No toys in the car!” a couple times around age 3, and then it’s smooth sailing from there on out.

Photo of 5 girls walking together in a New York park, away from the camera, with their myWallaby purses or carriers in rear-facing mode.

MyWallaby retails for $50 direct from the company’s website. The purses are quite pretty, but it occurs to me that they’re missing a make-up kit with built-in mirror on the purse flap. Regardless, these things will sell like hotcakes until a rogue Chinese manufacturer makes a cheap knock-off and dumps them on K-Mart, Wal-Mart and other similarly sounding marts.

Comments

11 Responses to “MyWallaby: a new doll transport device for golden children”

1. F. says:

I think the market for this over-priced bag is American Doll junkies and ‘MyTwinn’ owners.

August 12th, 2009 at 12:42 pm

2. Teresa says:

I found myself half-thinking of inventing one of these for myself awhile back. I kept finding myself out of the house, carrying my 6 month old in my arms and for one reason or another without a sling or stroller. I could take a little of the pressure off my arms by having her sit on the top of my messenger bag style purse and it looked a lot like these girls with their dolls. So let me know when they make one of these for grownups!

August 12th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Teresa, you’ve roughly described the KidCarry, a hip-slung sitting wedge with a pocket. I profiled it 3 years ago, but the company’s website appears to be offline now…

August 12th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

4. Bonnie says:

It looks kind of cool to me. I like the idea that I could hang it up in a closet or on the doorknob instead of having multiple doll bassinet, sling, beds, and misc. doll accessories laying around.

August 12th, 2009 at 3:21 pm

5. PisecoMom says:

I was reading along, laughing at your snarky comments but thinking – well, it’s this or a doll sling when my daughter refuses to leave her doll at home, it’s not so bad – until I got to the $50 price tag! Yikes. I think I’ll just cut leg holes in the bottom of a thrift store purse.

August 13th, 2009 at 8:11 am

6. Noreen says:

we have the rule at our house that favorite toy (pinkie and hoppo) don’t leave the house unless on a trip.

August 13th, 2009 at 7:30 pm

7. Christy says:

When we moved we started flying “back home” every few months or so. I quickly learned that traveling with a two year old meant hauling around a lovey animal and a baby doll. After one trip where I spent much of my time searching for her doll to make sure that we had it in tow, I instituted a new rule–baby must be in a sling or in a backpack.

I found an inexpensive front carrier at a big box toy retailer, but I was never pleased with it. She has been using it for over a year now, but it is starting to show signs of wear. Just this afternoon I made her an honest to goodness Ring Sling. It allows her to wear her babies on the front, side, or back…with room in the pouch for other toys besides her doll. And let me tell you, it wasn’t $50 to make!

I love that she carries her doll in a sling when we’re out of the house. It proves a great distraction for her when she’s sitting in a shopping cart or waiting in a boring line. It also is a great conversation starter!

August 13th, 2009 at 7:33 pm

8. Mariana Perri says:

This is cute… seriously… and I quite enjoy the idea of my daughter carrying her doll and not passing it on to me as soon as her arms get tired, which usually happens about 20 minutes after leaving the house!!!

August 13th, 2009 at 8:18 pm

9. Jen says:

Theresa… they do have a diaper bag like you describe… it’s called the Sidekick… here is a link http://www.savvymommy.com/featured_reviews/sidekick_diaper_bag.html

I actually bought one after I had my second daughter, though I didn’t use it as often as i thought, it was a great idea, and a cute bag too. I bought it from Target for $70 maybe, but that was a few years ago.

this is all i can find now… whew, the price doubled! http://www.healthchecksystems.com/product/?product_id=14651

ok, here is the version I bought. http://baby-carriers.babycatalog.com/baby-slings/sidekick-diaper-bag-and-carrier/sidekick.html

the new one does look a little nicer, but not for 3x’s the cost!!!!

as for the wallaby bag, I would never spend more on a child’s version of a real thing than I would on the real thing itself! I had a $30 snugli, and loved it! even build a bear only charges $7 for a backpack carrier for their bears, and I’m sure everyone knows how ridiculous the prices are there!

August 17th, 2009 at 5:37 pm

10. Laila Gomez says:

I love this bag. After reading the review, I actually bought my daughter one and they’re really well made. It’s her favorite new toy. She won’t leave the house without it. I don’t mind paying a little bit more if it’s made in the USA. With all the toy recalls from China, it amazes me that people are still willing to go the cheap route.

August 29th, 2009 at 2:16 pm

11. Janine says:

Are they available in Australia?

October 13th, 2010 at 2:05 am