Automated Robot Crib Rocker Deathmatch

Photo of the Easidream mattress rocker, control unit and plush sheep.

In the left corner we have British-made Easidream, a baby sleep aid soothing system that “helps ease the transition from womb to world.”

It’s a slim ventilated pneumatic platform you slip under your crib mattress that rocks your baby from head-to-toe or from side-to-side. Air tubing connects the platform to a control unit through which you set a 45-minute timer and two speed settings. The faster speed works “in time with mum’s resting heartbeat” and the slower setting is for weening your Easidream-addicted baby off its succulent robot mother at some unspecified date in the future.

Sorry, the company’s position is that “it is highly unlikely that your baby will become hooked on the soothing system.”

Easidream would not be complete without a plush sheep that straps to the crib railing, playing one of four soothing heartbeat sound combinations. Meanwhile, the sheep glows a warm pink for 20 minutes, just like the bioluminescent uterus your baby enjoyed before you ejected him from your womb.

All this can be yours for £249 ($354 US), coming soon to a gadget-crazy North American country near you.

Photo of the Lullabub crib supports and remote control.

In the right corner we have the Aussie-made Lullabub Cot Rocker, essentially stilts for your baby crib that “gently create motion automatically in a harmonic rhythm to naturally soothe and settle babies to sleep.”

Lullabub is comprised of four fancy cup-looking thingies that elevate the crib and rock it, with independent suspension, on a timer. The first simulated motion recreates the tranquility of a mother’s womb before the bright light and the squeezing and the screaming, and oh God, all the screaming, stop squeezing my brain! The device can also simulate a mother’s heartbeat, driving in a car to Burger King and drifting aimlessly like an old man on the sea.

In lieu of an plush uterus sheep, Lullabub gives you a remote control and a night light to ward off dingos. All this can be yours for only $199 US. Alternately, rent one for $1.10 AUD per day plus plane fare to and from Australia to pick up and return the Lullabub. (It’s a small price to pay for sleepy bliss, isn’t it? Plus your kid will sleep both ways on the plane.)

What say you Thinga-readers? Which of these amazing crib assistance devices will crush the competition?

Comments

12 Responses to “Automated Robot Crib Rocker Deathmatch”

1. adrienne says:

is possibly code for “Babies HATE it.”

The crib rocker on the other hand might slow down spiders attempting to scale the crib…or it might make an interesting experiment (dinner table a la Magic Fingers).

August 20th, 2009 at 4:52 am

2. julianne says:

Awwww the first one wins, hands down, for having Timmy from Shaun the Sheep. Baby will definitely become hooked on the cuteness.

August 20th, 2009 at 5:17 am

3. Jennie D says:

I doubt the Easidream would work well in a crib with a snug fitting mattress. The shadows from the bars in the picture you posted show a sizable gap between the mattress & crib. Scary.
    And what if one of the Cot Rocker’s feet failed?

Putting my paranoia & opinions on physically comforting distressed babies aside, my money is on the Easidream. The sheep IS cute.

August 20th, 2009 at 7:15 am

4. Kimberly says:

Yea, maybe I’m too close minded, but I think I’ll stick with my method… sleeping next to mom.

I am a fan of sound machines as I see how well it works on my son, but I can spend $25 on one.

August 20th, 2009 at 9:01 am

5. Spookygirl says:

Well, as a co-sleeping mom, I think they are both wastes of money, but if one has to win, then the first one, cause I do love me some SHEEP! And the Wallace and Grommet’esque sheep that glows and plays heartbeat sounds is just TOO CUTE :)

August 20th, 2009 at 10:03 am

6. Allison says:

The part about dingos really cracked me up.

I wouldn’t buy either of these but the sheep is cute!

August 20th, 2009 at 12:09 pm

7. anjii says:

If I had money to blow, my choice would definitely be the Easidream… but it’s probably about halfway down the “If I had the money” list

August 20th, 2009 at 5:01 pm

8. Mary says:

I wonder how safe these items are, especially the second one. Either way, if I had to choose, I’d go with number one. I just like the sheep. Otherwise, we co-slept with our children and see these things as a waste of our money. Besides how long do you truly need something like this? Six months, maybe a year? Way too expensive.

August 20th, 2009 at 7:59 pm

9. Noreen says:

both are just kind of scary

August 24th, 2009 at 6:36 pm

10. Mama Peach says:

Sheep as well – although I am also a co-sleeping mama.

August 28th, 2009 at 4:18 am

11. Jed G says:

Hmmm. I wonder what else you could rock with the Lullabub? Chairs? Adult beds? Sneak into your friend’s house and make them seasick by remote control…

August 31st, 2009 at 11:26 am

12. Natalie says:

hiya, I hope you don’t mind me replying to this thread, but I have just bought the easidream (sheep only)
    My daughter is 2 years old and i really wanted to give up breastfeeding, but she was so used to the comfort and snuggleness of being fed throughout the night, 2-3times a night (at least) and nothing i could do would settle her, So when i finally had the guts to try giving up again, I looked online for some help. I tried giving her bottles & formula (toddler SMA) I tried, new teddies, a nightlight, soothing music cds, Everything, but nothing was working, she was desperate for mummy. I was at the end of my tether!!
    I searched online for some new and alternative ways to settle babies to sleep and came across the Easidream, I loved the idea of the cradle being rocked, but as my daughter is 2 she was FAR too big for it!! but the sheep (which my daughter has named ‘Timmy’ ) he looked like a good idea, I loved that it played heartbeat noises (adult & foetal) with white noises and harp music.
    It arrived about a week ago, and it worked!! the 1st night we tried it, she fell asleep within 2 minutes! I kid you not! it really did!
    but i thought, Maybe its just a gimmick, as with the other methods we tried, they all worked once or twice, BUT we are still getting results! even when she’s waking up at 2am screaming and wanting to come out her cot, I put the sheep on (harp & adult heartbeats) and within seconds, she’s calmed down again and sleeping! she’s even sleeping for longer periods! which is great as i was getting desperate!!
    finally a way of getting her to sleep and also not breastfeeding!! 2 years is enough!!!!!
    If you have a baby that’s unsettled or your looking for a new way to try getting your baby off the boobs and sleeping all night, I DEF recommend that you buy the sheep!
    or if you can afford it, the whole system (I wish it was out 2 years ago!!)
    its not a lot of money for a peaceful and complete nights sleep!
    I’m loving how something so simple and easy is working!! its amazing!!
    also, he looks super cute too! :-)

December 16th, 2009 at 10:45 am