Wean Machine Baby Food Press

Photo of the Wean Machine, a yellow hand-held garlic-press-like food processor.

The Wean Machine by Jackson Beazeley Limited is a tableside baby food press for 6-month-and-up infants who are ready to begin soft foods. Unlike a food mill that you use in a kitchen to prepare food ahead of time, the Wean Machine is intended for on-the-fly food preparation.

It’s like a garlic press, except the food never leaves the press.

1. Fill the hand-held unit’s bowl with soft fruit or cooked food.
  2. Squeeze the handles together. The strainer fits snugly into the bowl, becoming part of the bowl.
  3. Spoon feed your baby straight from the bowl.

The unit includes a plastic cover to keep the bowl clean when not in use or during transport. It also reportedly balances on flat surfaces. Two grates (strainers) are provided to strain food into different sizes.

Food preparation involves slicing fruit, or boiling vegetables and cubing them. The company’s recipe page lists brief instructions for bananas, apples, potatoes, carrots, avacados, stawberries, cauliflower and broccoli. A more comprehensive list of acceptable and no-go foods can be found in the food squidgometer.

Wean Machine is dishwasher safe (top rack), but not microwave safe. It’s billed as being PVC and BPA-free. Also see a list of government safety tests passed. It retails for $24.

My family used a food mill off-and-on with our two kids. My daughter was the longest — very late in getting her first tooth (15 months?) and slow to embrace chewing her own food. Meanwhile, my 16-month-old son was off puréed food by 12 months with one tooth. He wanted to emulate us, even if it meant gumming his food into submission.

I’m undecided on how good an idea the Wean Machine is. At home, I suppose it comes down to whether you want to prepare a large quantity of food for several meals (thus needing a food mill). Or if you prefer to process food during a meal and experimenting with cooked food other family members are eating.

It’d come in handy for travel, taking whole fruit with you without needing to keep it on ice. But then, you still need to slice it and I wonder what’s easier — spending prep time upfront in the kitchen or spending prep time as you sit in front of your child.

Yes? No? Is the Wean Machine more or less appealing than a traditional food mill?

Would you take the Wean Machine to a relative’s house? To a restaurant?

Photo of the Wean Machine being used to press spaghetti.

Comments

12 Responses to “Wean Machine Baby Food Press”

1. Tanja says:

But couldn’t you achieve the same effect with a fork?

July 20th, 2009 at 6:06 am

There are many ways to do things. Some are easier and some are harder.

I suspect the food mill would work on harder foods than this. I’d be MUCH more likely to use this than to squish something up with a fork, myself.

We got our food mill from my dad (who needed it after mouth surgery for months to eat.) I don’t know if this would work or not.

Depending on price, I might try it (Not now, he’s too old for it now) But I can see a reason to use it for small portions then (And to take to restaurants, etc. This is MUCH easier than the food mill at restaurants!) use the food mill later once you figure out how well it works.

July 20th, 2009 at 7:32 am

3. Jennifer says:

This would be a must have in a diaper bag. Sure, you could do the same with a fork, but how much simpler would this be at a resteraunt or at a picnic with friends or something. You could always have fresh baby food.

I probably wouldn’t use this in the home, but this is a great idea for on the go!

Could this be fame or shame game? Because I totally think this is FAME because it is an ideal way to make fresh baby food on the go and fits so many lifestyles!

July 20th, 2009 at 8:09 am

4. anjii says:

I found this awhile ago, and if my youngest wasn’t past the baby food stage, I definitely would have bought one. I think it would be FANTASTIC in the diaper bag!

July 20th, 2009 at 8:42 am

5. Shannon says:

I take issue with the name. It implies that infants are ready to stop breast- or bottle-feeding at 6 months becuase you can feed them solid foods when in reality, they need breastmilk and/or formula until they’re a year old, and providing breastmilk after a year can continue to provide beneftis.

BUT, getting off my soapbox…As far as functionality goes, I find it to be much more effective time-wise to prepare large batches of food ahead of time and freeze in small portions. As you said, the hassle of peeling or boiling an individual serving each time would be too much for us.

July 20th, 2009 at 9:59 am

6. Sara says:

not really worth it. I am a fan of kitchen items that serve more than one function. you can get the same results at home with a fork, knife, potato masher, etc. or if you really have to puree the foods, than a blender, food processor, or food mill would be better. this seems too specific and useful for such a short time. of course my kids are late teethers, and the absence of teeth has not hampered them a bit in the eating department.

July 20th, 2009 at 1:13 pm

7. MIdge says:

Not worth it. It seems like one more thing parents are convinced to purchase. A fork, blender, food processor would do the same job. My son was big on finger foods early on. We did very little mashing for him.

July 20th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

8. Amber says:

It looks pretty neat–and I might be inclined to buy it.

My only qualm is the same one I have with any utensil. How clean does it get, and how much of a pain would it be if I used it and had it in the diaper bag dirty for a few hours before I could clean it?

July 20th, 2009 at 3:44 pm

9. anjii says:

Shannon, I agree with you about the name, and had the same thought at first, but gave them the benefit of the doubt that they are referring to the weaning process from purees to regular table food, rather than a reference to quitting nursing. At least I HOPE that’s how they mean it ;)

July 20th, 2009 at 10:54 pm

10. kelly says:

useless-we did baby led solids; giving our little one solids after 6 months and she ate them fine! she just got her first 4 teeth in the last 3 weeks. it was so much easier giving her table food than bothering with baby foods/purees

July 21st, 2009 at 6:35 am

11. Sylvia says:

Looks like a fancy garlic press…

July 22nd, 2009 at 2:42 pm

12. Dianna says:

I’d buy it for on-the-go. At home, definitely want to do larger portions to keep for later.

July 22nd, 2009 at 6:29 pm