Fame or Shame #17: Pee-Pee Tubes

Bear with me. It’s becoming fame-or-shame week as I work my way through some recent submissions…

Tinkle Tube by Baby Rock Apparel is an 8″ long clear plastic tube with two end caps.

At first glance, it looks like a portable urine storage device for when your little guy has to go and there is no McDonald’s restroom in sight. You’d be wrong.

Tinkle Tube is a urine stream aiming accessory for when your son is away from home. Read the company’s how-to description:

“Stand the child on or in front of the toilet seat with your assistance. Be sure to hold the child securely at all times to prevent him from slipping and falling. Unzip or pull down the boys pants. Remove both caps from the Tinkle Tube. Place the Tinkle Tube over the boys little soldier. Now hold and aim the tube towards the toilet. Shake the tube out, rinse and replace the caps. Store the Tinkle Tube in your bag for the next use.”

I have to wonder, why market this as a travel accessory? Are they saying that it’s okay at home for my son’s penis to flap around like a loose fire hose blasting at full pressure?

Okay, okay, I was being dishonest when I said this tube isn’t for storing urine. The product description does contain a single veiled sentence that reads:

“You can even use it as an emergency toilet while on the go.”

Let’s assume they don’t mean your child will poop into a cylinder that has a 1.4″ diameter opening. They must mean pee, but they fail to include any verbiage implying this thing is water tight or why you wouldn’t just keep an empty Snapple bottle in the car for emergencies.

No matter. Thinga-reader Jennifer submitted the Tinkle Tube for our consideration today, but this lofty product has been exalted by larger voices than me. Take a look:

As you can see, Tinkle Tube has safely crossed over from the realm of long-haul truckers into accepted behavior for upscale families with money to burn. $4.99 per tube, to be exact.

Tinkle Tube’s creator explains in the embedded video below the horror that led to the common refrain: there must be a better way!

Tell me dear Thinga-readers, is the Tinkle Tube inventor destined for fame or shame?

Comments

9 Responses to “Fame or Shame #17: Pee-Pee Tubes”

1. PAUL says:

Shame. So you’re at the ball park with the little man, he says those three little words, “I gotta pee.” You set down your Cracker Jack and head off to the head. As you stand at the trough with the other guys, you help Junior off with his pants, whip out a plastic tube and stick his penis in it? Can’t wrap my head around it. Besides, if this is really a huge problem, what’s wrong with a section of 3/4″ PVC? I can get a 10′ length at the local hardware store for like three bucks. That way, if a different kind of “sprinkler” emergency came up, I’d be all set!

July 9th, 2009 at 5:54 am

2. Judy B says:

Why can’t they make one so girls can stand up and pee all over everything!

July 9th, 2009 at 8:09 am

3. Amy says:

Shame. First of all he didn’t invent anything. It’s a stock mailing tube that he stuck a label onto.

I have 3 that I got as samples for a project at work. The caps are vinyl and do have an extremely tight fit, to the point where I put things in there that I wouldn’t want my little guy to have (paper clips) and gave it to him to shake to his hearts content. Even so, I don’t know that I’d trust it to hold liquid and I’m definitely not putting a wet tinkle tube in my purse. We’ll just do things the old fashion way and hopefully one day (when we get to potty training) the little guy will get the hang of point and squirt without any training tube.

July 9th, 2009 at 9:19 am

4. Maggie says:

Shame. This is just silliness. I’m with Paul on this one.

July 9th, 2009 at 5:10 pm

5. Jennifer says:

SHAME. If only because they left out the apostrophe in “boys pants,” “boys little soldier” etc.
    Come to think of it, whoever wrote their copy seems to get just a little too much glee from describing the action of pottying a nudie little boy. (do we really need to be told to unzip or pull down the pants first???)
    Creepy.

July 9th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

6. The Meanest Momma says:

Laughable. I say shame for the reporter who did that story. Wonder if he’s got that lil gem in his highlight reel/portfolio.

And what a nice family memory dad has created for his son. “I created that gizmo, son, when you were too little whiz like a man….”

July 10th, 2009 at 11:50 am

7. Jed G says:

Not shame, but not fame – a bit too silly. That said, right now I think we could use one. My 2.5 y.o. insists on dispensing with his step stool while peeing, but he’s just barely tall enough to get his penis over the toilet edge. An extra 2 inches would mean less cleanup…. [He also wants to pee on the trees outside, but that's my fault. Don't tell mom.]

July 16th, 2009 at 8:21 am

8. KittyCat says:

I agree with you that it’d be better marketed as a portable pee tube!

I can imagine how traumatic it’d be for my little boy to have to insert his little penis into a tube…he’s already squirming by the time he decides to stop playing and head for the toilet.

Jed G – My son sounds just like yours :-) When our boy is good, he’ll tip-toe and tinkle into the toilet bowl. If not, he’ll just aim for the drainage hole and I rinse it off with the shower head. And yes, he loves to pee in the bushes which I’m OK with but his Dad is not LOL

July 25th, 2009 at 6:10 pm

9. Jasmine says:

wow i really dont see the point why cant you just take a kid to the bathroom!!!

August 2nd, 2009 at 10:35 am