Oh Really, CNN?

The following quote is from 20+ of the greatest parenting tips ever, an article linked on CNN.com quoting material from parenting.com (I couldn’t locate the article at parenting.com).

Who hasn’t squirted Motrin into her toddler’s ear when he’s putting up a feverish fight? Take a cue from Mary Poppins and mix a dose of medicine with chocolate syrup, suggests Tanya Altmann, M.D., author of “Mommy Calls”.

Hmm. I don’t remember a scene in Mary Poppins where the kids get medicine squirted in their ears. My pediatrician always advised never to stick anything in an infant or toddler’s ear.

Perhaps more disturbing than this typo (it is a typo, I hope?) is the fact the article was linked on CNN’s front page in the “Latest News” category today along with Paris Hilton and Michael Jackson gossip and other news that doesn’t remotely qualify as important on a national level, let alone befitting a global news network. You can forgive a baby blog for not discussing every day the wars military actions our nation is engaged in, or say, talking about the US Congress fighting to protect insurance companies so that 47 million people continue to live without any form of health insurance, but what’s CNN’s excuse? Why hype trivialities in the face of life-altering news for millions of citizens?

Comments

13 Responses to “Oh Really, CNN?”

1. ojn says:

I think they were unclear. They probably missed an _accidental_ in there, as in “who hasn’t by accident got Motrin in their ear when they throw a fit”.

Well, I haven’t. And our little boy actually likes taking medicines, they seem to have a sweet enough flavor as it is.

No sane person administers medicine in the ear canal. Very unfortunate wordings on their behalf.

July 30th, 2009 at 8:44 am

2. Maggie says:

I actually think it’s pretty clear that saying that when your kid is kicking and twisting around while you try to give medicine that often ends up somewhere other than their mouth.

But I do agree with you about the CNN content. There are certainly important things going on in the world that should get more attention than gossip.

July 30th, 2009 at 9:13 am

3. Matt Soreco says:

I don’t think it’s clear at all. Glad I know now what they meant by it.

July 30th, 2009 at 11:27 am

4. Amy says:

No, it’s not clear. But I think the Mary Poppins reference was referring to the idea of adding chocolate syrup to medicine, not squirting medicine into a kid’s ear. You know, “A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down?”

July 30th, 2009 at 11:42 am

5. cavale says:

this is really a case of you completely misunderstanding the sentence. they obviously were referring accidentally squirting medicine in your baby’s ear when they squirm, while you’re aiming for their mouth.

and i’m sure they don’t even mean that, seriously.

and i’m sure the mary poppins reference is regarding “a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down” re: the chocolate syrup.

seriously, calm down.

July 30th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

6. Allison says:

I totally didn’t get that they were referring to accidental ear squirting either, but now that it is pointed out I can see that is what they meant. But yeah, unfortunate wording.

There are actually a number of home ear ache remedies floating around by word of mouth and the internet that do involve squirting stuff in your ear so it isn’t too much of a stretch to think someone might mistakenly think “Well if essential oils are good to put in my kids ear Motrin would be even better!”

July 30th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

7. Steve says:

I’m curious why the doctor referenced Motrin, a specific brand name, rather than the type of medicine — ibuprofen. Does the doctor have any affiliation with the makers of Motrin?

July 30th, 2009 at 2:41 pm

8. Christy says:

@Steve, the brand name actually struck me too. I was wondering that as well.

I can’t imagine having to mix meds with more sweets. They are already super (yet artificially) sweet as it is!

July 30th, 2009 at 3:12 pm

9. Tanya says:

It was clear to me when I read it. AJ- I had to read what you wrote to see what you thought was wrong with it.

I agree that the Mary Poppins reference is to a spoonful of sugar.

I had an incident that warranted a call to poison control because I got Swim Ear drops in my daughter’s eye because she would not hold still. Don’t worry- no permanent damage, just a little stinging.

July 31st, 2009 at 7:04 am

10. F. says:

Those few sentences were not well written. I had to ‘decode’ what the author meant. Sounds to me like a CNN editor fell asleep behind the computer mouse.

July 31st, 2009 at 8:34 am

11. Stephanie says:

I’ve been kind of ticked at CNN lately. I turned it yesterday for news about the “5 rights you would lose with the health care plan”, and they said to go online to read the article myself. They are too busy Twittering and Facebooking to actually…
    Report. The. News.

July 31st, 2009 at 10:41 am

12. RookieMom Whitney says:

I also read it. (I was also quoted in it). And I also didn’t understand what the ear thing meant, but figured since my kids have never had an ear infection, I was just missing out on a common parenting experience.

August 1st, 2009 at 2:53 pm

13. LiteralDan says:

Count me among those more confused by your misunderstanding of what they meant than by what they said. But I agree with your overall idea– CNN is as much a joke as all the media companies for the past couple decades!

August 11th, 2009 at 1:43 pm