Bye-bye Bottle: Breastfeeding Baby Dolls are Here

Photo of the Bebe Gloton doll inside its product box.

Bebé Glotón is a infant doll made by Berjuan, a toy maker in Spain, for the express purpose of promoting breastfeeding. The idea is to impress upon kids that breastfeeding is natural.

Your child wears a colorful bra-like halter-top featuring flowers over the nipple area. When the doll is lifted to the flowers, it makes a suckling motion and sound. When your child’s flower nipples grow sore and cracked, either the baby cries for more, or beckons to be burped.

The flowers don’t really get sore and cracked. My wife was astounded when I read her a draft of this article, so I thought I should clarify. If the flowers wilt a little, maybe you can buy your kid a tube of lanolin.

I guess that settles the whole dolls-are-okay-for-boys issue. Or maybe it reignites the fathers lactating civil rights issue.

Two photos showing the flowery nursing bra being tied on a girl and then the girl pretend nursing her baby doll.

Here is a Spanish video report and a second video report that provide a sense of how the doll functions. The second is better, but is tucked behind a 30 second commercial.

The user comments posted below the second clip (20minutos.tv) are a hoot… with people viewing this doll as everything from inappropriately sexing up children to providing a plaything for prepubescent lesbians. But to be fair, a good number of the comments are sheer trolling. (View them by pasting the URL into a Google search, then click “translate this page“).

Babel Fish translates the doll’s name as Baby Glutton. If anyone is familiar with Spanish culture (Spain, not Latin America), I’d love to hear their thoughts about that name.

This gluttonous baby is 50 cm (19.6 inches) long, the average length of a real newborn and is available in either gender. There’s no word yet on whether the boy is anatomically correct. The dolls retail for about 44 Euro.

See the Bebé Glotón official site (just photos at this point… after the Flash intro, click “mecnanismos” and then “Bebe Gloton”)

Also see previously: Mini Mamas magnetic breastfeeding dolls.

Update: After more than a month of feedback, user comments have been turned off. For more, read my opinion about the doll.

Comments

137 Responses to “Bye-bye Bottle: Breastfeeding Baby Dolls are Here”

1. Summer says:

Wow. Speechless. Thats almost like putting pasties on a ten year old! Is this one of your joke blogs or is this for real?

July 13th, 2009 at 5:07 am

2. Summer says:

I am familiar with Spanish wine and Spanish culture (and yes I mean Spain) but I’ve never seen this. I will have to ask around to some of my fellow Spanish peeps.

July 13th, 2009 at 5:10 am

Summer, my spoof articles don’t involve building elaborate Flash websites written in Spanish complete with custom photography, nor tricking Spanish toy stores into carrying my spoof box so that the Spanish news media will cover the story. Good idea though.

July 13th, 2009 at 6:41 am

4. Cecilia says:

I’m familiar with Spanish culture as well… calling a baby “gloton” is a term of endearment. I’ve heard little girls called “bruja” (witch) and “gorda” (fat), which is appalling to many Americans, but the use of these nicknames is just as common as “guapa” (beautiful) and “maja” (pretty, nice-looking).

July 13th, 2009 at 7:21 am

5. Jenn says:

You don’t really need to buy a special doll to promote breastfeeding. All it took was for my 2yo daughter to watch me breastfeed her baby sister and she was hooked. I would often find my 2yo perched up on the couch, shirt lifted up, baby being held up to her belly button (apparently in her 2yo mind that’s where the good stuff comes from) for a quick snack. Neither of my girls ever took a bottle, so they never thought to stick one in their baby’s mouth, it was always “breastfed”.

July 13th, 2009 at 8:43 am

6. Kimberly says:

On one hand I happy that they are making an effort…on the other hand, I agree with Jenn. We bought my son a doll, took the bottle away from it and hopefully when he sees me nurse our newest baby, he’ll try to nurse his baby. We even bought him a sling so he can carry his baby around with him while mommy wears the new baby.

July 13th, 2009 at 10:56 am

7. Candi says:

Like putting pasties on a 10 year old? Are you serious?

Why is it okay for a girl to mimic bottlefeeding a baby but not okay for a girl to mimic breastfeeding a baby?

Just as a side note, you’re right, Jenn. My two year old happily nurses all her dolls and stuffed animals as thats what children do– MIMIC THEIR PARENTS! It’s probably unnecessary to buy this doll but its nice to see one on the market that doesn’t automatically come with a bottle and a pacifier.

There is nothing sexual about a mother feeding a child, and there is nothing sexual about a child pretending to feed a baby doll.

July 13th, 2009 at 12:03 pm

8. IBCLC in upstate NY says:

While I am thrilled about the idea of promoting breastfeeding to children, I have reservations about this product.
    – Babies nurse from breasts, not from flowers stuck onto clothing! Little girls who watch their mama’s nurse know how to lift their shirts to position their baby dolls.
    – Why promote the idea that it hurts to nurse? Breastfeeding is supposed to feel good. Pain is a sign that something is wrong (often a poor latch) and needs to be fixed.
    – The doll’s mouth is not open wide enough to get a good latch. If they are going to make such a toy, let’s at least make it realistic. After all, the manufacturers had no problem making the boy doll anatomically correct.

July 13th, 2009 at 12:52 pm

9. LIsa says:

I agree with Jenn and Kimberly! When my son was almost 2, and his baby sister 14 mths behind him, i remember him putting his snoopy under his shirt, trying to nurse it, rock it and sooth it. I thought it was sweet seeing my son wanting to be a nurturing daddy….

July 13th, 2009 at 8:02 pm

10. Kat says:

i think this is fantastic, what a way to encourage breastfeeding from such an early age id love one for my two little people. i have only ever breastfed (though both of my kids have had bottles of ebm if i have been away) but this is such a great way for kids from bottle feeding families to see that it is so normal and natural much better than those icky bottles. whilst i can appreciate that babies/ children from breastfeeding families get to see it as normal what about all those children from bottle fed families or people that have parents who have tried but cannot breastfeed this is a great way to encourage it. nothing sexual or inappropriate at all i wonder if these will make it to Australia id deff get them for my friends kids too.

July 13th, 2009 at 8:31 pm

11. Jennifer says:

I do understand you can use any baby for doing this, but every child LOVES when things make noises and to PROMOTE breastfeeding is what is the best thing about this anyway!!

July 13th, 2009 at 9:16 pm

12. Lactator says:

I love this! My sister and I made a “bra” with a pacifier sewn in for our girls to play with. Finally! a really cute top, and a baby that responds. Amazing. Hope it sticks around. I love it!

July 13th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

13. Amber says:

Weird.

This would have made me thoroughly uncomfortable as a child.

July 13th, 2009 at 9:55 pm

14. Rachel says:

Hmm… Why don’t they just sell dolls without bottles? I see it still has a dummy… and that bra think is weird. All the dolls we have at home are breastfeeding dolls, my kids just feed them like they were (and still are) fed. I guess it’s sort of on the right track, LOL.

July 14th, 2009 at 4:05 am

15. Rose says:

I think this is wonderful! Of course like the other posters my daugher ahppily “nursed” her baby dolls. She also would pump apple juice out of her. Apparintly thats what babies eat is apple juice :P. But if this was avalible in America i would totally buy it!

July 14th, 2009 at 8:45 am

16. anjii says:

I applaud their efforts in the right direction, and while at first, the “nipple” top kind of threw me off, it’s already grown on my a bit. Not to mention the doll’s face is truly adorable and quite lifelike. If I had a girl, I’d be tempted to get this for her. My sons have dolls, but since they won’t have boobs, I’m not pushing for them to practice bfing. I’m just continuing to advocate it, and show them through practice that it’s normal, so they’ll be fully supportive of their wives bfing relationships with their kids.

July 14th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

17. Emily Jones says:

I love this idea! And while I agree you don’t need a special doll to encourage breastfeeding, it is rather nice to have a suckling response at the “breast,” if a kid really wants the doll to behave life-like.

July 14th, 2009 at 6:25 pm

18. Carrie says:

This isn’t gross. What’s gross is a doll that poops.

July 14th, 2009 at 9:59 pm

19. Ally says:

They make bottlefeeding dolls that make sucking sounds or whatever when you put the bottle near their mouths, so I can see why the manufacturer wanted something similar.

The part about the nipples getting sore and cracked was a joke–right? Because if we have that, then the bottlefed dolls should have reflux and diaper rash, and the kids should have to wait five minutes when they want to feed the doll, to simulate making a bottle.

July 15th, 2009 at 11:14 am

20. Azucar says:

A better translation would be “greedy” baby, it’s a term of endearment for babies who love to eat. The other word I hear all the time is “Boracho” which means drunkard, but is really a term that connotes a hungry nursling or milk-drunk baby.

And while the top is a little funny, the building of the doll itself (makes noises when in nursing position, burping) could be totally appealing to a child. Of course, my sons usually imitated me with their stuffed animals (or insisted that the stuffed animal take their turn as well.)

July 15th, 2009 at 11:19 am

21. Azucar says:

Oh, and Rachel, the doll has a dummy because it’s routine and expected that Spanish children be given pacifiers.

I received several dummy/pacifier clips for my babies from Spain, one was even engraved. I never used them.

July 15th, 2009 at 11:21 am

Ally, yes, sore nipples was a joke.

Azucar, Google translated Glotón as greedy, but given its similarity to Glutton, I trusted Babel Fish’s translation. Both seemed strange from an American cultural perspective.

Cecilia, thanks for explaining that Glotón is a term of endearment for babies.

July 15th, 2009 at 11:27 am

23. fullet says:

this toy would never work in the US because the united states public would sexualize the act of breastfeeding, thereby deeming it innappropriate for little girl to engage in.

July 15th, 2009 at 12:29 pm

24. Amanda says:

Thank you Candi for your response. I couldn’t have said it better myself. What do we think little girls did with their little rag dolls (or whatever else they used for baby dolls) BEFORE we invented and started using bottles??

July 15th, 2009 at 1:53 pm

25. Ashley says:

WOW! This is a great idea! If they end up selling it in Canada, I’ll for sure buy it for my future daughter! Breast is best!

July 16th, 2009 at 10:41 am

26. barefootmama says:

I think plenty of kids pretend to nurse their dolls without fancy sound effects. My sister used to “nurse” her toy trucks when she was a toddler.

July 16th, 2009 at 12:03 pm

27. Tina says:

My children pretending to breastfeed their dolls anyhow, so why not? I would’ve bought one when they were young. I think they look wonderful!

July 17th, 2009 at 7:23 am

28. Maria says:

I think this is fantastic, and it makes me sad that people have nothing better to do than mock what is obviously a step in the right direction.

July 17th, 2009 at 6:54 pm

29. tandemnurser says:

i am excited to see this. we have an exchange student from Spain and I am going to ask her to buy this and send it to us.
    My sons know the value of breastfeeding but this is a step in the right direction for kids who want something a bit more realistic.

awesome!

July 18th, 2009 at 6:16 am

30. Frost At Midnight says:

Pasties on a 10 year old? Not even close. Why is it okay to pretend to bottle feed a doll, but not breastfeed it? At least this is natural. The only thing I don’t like is the horrid pacifier, which is totally unnatural and kind of defeats the whole idea of having a breastfeeding doll to begin with.

July 18th, 2009 at 6:25 am

31. Mama Peach says:

I’m surprised it took this long for such a product to come out (I’m surprised it hasn’t hit American markets yet).

I think if you are a breastfeeding house just toss the bottles. Kids mimic what they see – my 3 1/2 year old sees me feeding her 8 week old sister, and in turn nurses her dolls.

I don’t think a doll will really influence feeding choices down the road.

July 18th, 2009 at 9:23 am

32. MacBump says:

To the IBCLC…I agree with your points however I also realize that you *can’t* make it perfect for little girls who want to mimick breastfeeding; little girls don’t have proeminent nipples/areolae to latch on to, so having a wide open mouth is moot. The flower top could be worn under a shirt to show the girl how to “lift up the shirt” or something but it’s not going to be perfect one way or another. The unfortunate fact is that only moms can actually *nurse* their babies…which is why we can assume it is possible for moms to nurse and dads or older siblings or grandparents to give a bottle from time to time.

BTW I’m a BF volunteer myself and nursed all 3 of my kids (baby still nursing aged 11 mos, aiming for self-weaning past WHO min.).

July 18th, 2009 at 11:38 pm

33. nicole says:

this is wonderful! it’s about time!! get those bottle sucking babies OUT OF HERE!

July 19th, 2009 at 11:40 am

34. Summer says:

I was joking when I said pasties by the way. That was meant to be humorous. I don’t think there is anything wrong with breastfeeding or promoting it. I think a regular breastfeeding looking bra would be better than one with weird looking flower petals that are supposed to resemble nipples.

July 19th, 2009 at 1:34 pm

35. F. says:

Have you seen pasties? They basically are pasties sewn to a smock for a childs toy and to me, it is freakin’ weird. How is that anti-breast feeding? If a child wanted to play natural childbirth would you give them a smock with a magic flower merkin on it? Would you encourage them to pull down their pants first to encourage natural childbirth practices? Of course not.
    The doll itself is very cute and the concept is fine. The magic milk faux flower areolas are messed up.

July 20th, 2009 at 9:04 am

36. Gina says:

Well, I certainly am glad to see a doll that promotes normal infant feeding! However, I have to agree with the comments that the sore/cracked nipples are not only silly, but also certainly convey a message that breastfeeding is painful/should hurt, which is not true. Also, pacifiers are impediments to breastfeeding, so I’d prefer a doll without any artificial teats.

Regarding the flower-nipples (lol), why not let the baby start making the gulping sound simply when they’re in a good tummy-to-tummy position–then little kids can choose to lift their shirt or not as they prefer.

Also, I do hope glutton has a better connotation in Spanish, because in English it’s fairly biased in my opinion and furthers this idea of breastfed babies manipulating their parents.

Overall, though, kudos for a good idea and the desire to promote normal infant feeding. :)

July 23rd, 2009 at 2:01 pm

37. Hollie says:

I agree, the flowers are a bit weird, and i also agree that it is probably not needed as my 2 year old son just lifts his shirt to feed his doll, and his baby sister! I do however think the sucking noise is cute, maybe there could be a badge pinned to the shirt instead…. It is nice to finally see something that shows kids that breastfeeding is normal and accepted. I would buy one!!

July 24th, 2009 at 3:57 am

38. BMS2000 says:

I don’t see why you need an electronic moving doll to pretend to breastfeed. But then I don’t see why a toy fire truck needs lights and sounds to be fun either. The imagination works pretty well too, and doesn’t run out of batteries.

July 29th, 2009 at 11:02 am

39. Jasmine says:

i really dont think this is a good idea i mean you parents think its a bad idea to get pregnant at a young age but why is it okay to pretend to breastfeed at such a young age!!!!

July 30th, 2009 at 9:42 am

40. AKJ says:

WTF !?!?! Um, OK.. OK, this is just too weird. OK, so while they are teaching LITTLE girls that breastfeeding is natural, “OK”, but at the same time, they are teaching them that teen/early pregnancy is OK too right? Cause if a girl is going to be curious about breast feeding a DOLL that is meant for that, then she is goin to want to know what its like to REALLY do it. WOW, that’s really keeping children safe huh.. way to go SPAIN!!! Ya, OK, a PARENT should be teaching their child about babies, breastfeeding, SEX and so on, not some damn doll. ARE YOU SERIOUS? My son watches me every day nurse my daughter, is he curious, YES, he even asked if he could feed her, I told him, no baby, only mommies feed babies. That is natural. Teach your little girl that breast feeding is natural “THE RIGHT WAY !!” When she is old enough to know what the hell it is. You might as well just tell her its OK to go and talk to boys before she is 18 too and go out on dates, and have sex.

July 30th, 2009 at 11:53 am

41. Lisa says:

My guess is that the “flower top” is also a way to keep little girls from baring their chests while play-breastfeeding. ; ) The doll is cute. I breastfed my daughter for 32 months, and my son is still going at 20 months. Neither of them has ever had bottles or pacifiers, and neither of them has ever seemed interested in nursing their toys. Go figure.

July 30th, 2009 at 12:21 pm

42. Literacy-chic says:

They couldn’t have named the baby “Baby Chup Chup,” as that has a different connotation completely. (Sorry to anyone who knows of can figure out that connotation.) So maybe “Hungry, Hungry Baby” would be a good English Equivalent?

July 30th, 2009 at 12:51 pm

43. bro says:

dont think there is any need for a special doll kids can do this with their regular dolls..i think the top is inapropriate

July 30th, 2009 at 1:12 pm

44. Gemma says:

I agree with various comments. 1)fantastic so glad we finally have a breastfeeding baby without bottles
    2.) hate dummys why would you put a dummy with a breastfeeding baby?confused on that one 3.) the flowers going limp is crap really negative portrayal that breastfeeding hurts and of course it shouldn’t!

Half way i’ll give them that, with a bit more imput form breastfeeders past and present, they’ll get it right soon!

July 30th, 2009 at 2:21 pm

45. lacy says:

honestly i think is great because there are so many teeneage moms like myself that wont breastfeed because of the way society has put it intheir heads not too..it is the best thing for them and it promots the kids at an early age that its the best way to keep your baby healthy..and its free….we can use that in this economy today!!!

July 30th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

46. OMGNO says:

Are you serious? And no I do not have any children but why would anyone purchase such a thing for a child? The child will grow up screwed up. Pasties? It will never come to the USA.

July 30th, 2009 at 6:15 pm

47. Ladyj says:

I am sorry but I think this is weird.

July 30th, 2009 at 7:02 pm

48. Krombie says:

I think it’s great that someone has developed a fun way to teach children about a perfectly natural process. I may buy one for my son so that he can learn how babies are fed. When I was young my parents told me about birds and bees and how that relates to sex confused the heck out of me. I knew what sex was, but the idea of a queen bee in a hive with a bunch of drone/slaves to serve her while she pumped out babies didn’t seem to make any sense, nor did hatching eggs. My parents really confused me, and I want to make sure that my son isn’t confused by sex when he gets older.

July 30th, 2009 at 9:45 pm

49. Hiawatha says:

If I had a daughter and she owned this particular baby doll, she absolutely would not be allowed to take it in public places. It’s one thing to feed a real baby from a real breast in public. Comical and a little strange to see a child mimic breastfeeding a doll from flower nipples. Just my opinion.

July 31st, 2009 at 12:45 am

50. M&M says:

I honesly dont knw what the big deal is, they have dolls that pee and “poop” to teach kids to go potty too and noone thinks thats inapropiate. It doesnt encourage them to get pregnant sooner or later to be honest kids are having babies sence they where 14 forever, so all this does is encourage them to breastfeed, Batbies have messures that yells you ave to be skinny and noone cares that they keep on making them with bigger boobs and skinnier.
    So really idk what the big deal is.
    I am Spanish ( directly from spain ) Gloton really doesnt have a right translation to the enlish but its something like baby that eats a lot lol so really its not so tragic

July 31st, 2009 at 12:54 am

51. GreenhouseBelly says:

I love, love, love this idea! Each of my children “nursed” their baby dolls during play time… I think they would have enjoyed this one because the doll makes sounds and responds. Any toy that is fun and educational is excellent in my opinion.

Kudos to Berjuan for finding a unique way to encourage and teach “little mommies” the best way to feed a baby.

July 31st, 2009 at 2:59 am

52. Cheryl says:

I simply LOVE this idea. The aborigine children make a pair of breasts from rocks that get a little pointed toward the bottom end hung on a type of twine/string/rope around their necks and ‘nurse’ their baby dolls. So the little flowers make sense to show where the baby eats and to appease the minds of people who may fear showing actual skin. Kudos, I will buy many if possible as gifts and for my BF classes.

The chup, chup sound is obnoxious but will be exciting for a child to hear that their ‘baby’ is eating.

July 31st, 2009 at 7:54 am

53. Cherie says:

AKJ, it is sad that you look at breastfeeding as sexual. When your little boy asked to nurse you should have said ‘YES’, he was asking if you loved him as much as the new baby and he wanted to help. You could have let him pretend, as you were telling him about how mommy’s make milk. Did he also want to nurse from you? Again, you are supposed to say ‘yes’, and he might try it, he might not, but at least he will have gotton the affirmation he needed.

Girls and boys will mimic the breastfeeding and many other life skills (cooking, cleaning, etc.) when very young, this is how they learn by seeing and doing and carry these thoughts into adulthood. They do not become enamored or deviant in wanting sex or babies as soon as possible.

And did you say it incorrectly or will you not allow your daughter to talk to boys before she is 18?

July 31st, 2009 at 8:06 am

54. AC89 says:

Honestly, I think this is awful. Now let me just be clear, I think breastfeeding is wonderful and wholeheartedly encourage it, HOWEVER, it is completely innapropriate to allow a young girl to mimic it. Yes, breastfeeding is completely natural, but it is something that only adults do, not children. It would actually disgust me if I were to see a child using this “toy”.

July 31st, 2009 at 10:21 am

55. Joni Shahin says:

My daughter is always nursing her dolls! I love this! i am always looking for dolls that promote breastfeeding! (As the bottles that come along with her dolls get thrown out) I think this is GREAT! I hope to see it in stores by me!

July 31st, 2009 at 10:30 am

56. Andy says:

Why is seeing a child breastfeed a doll obscene but it is okay for them to bottle feed their dolls, unbelievable. The obscene thing is that our society has got to a place where breastfeeding has become so unnatural that we need to create a toy to try and promote it, unbelievable

July 31st, 2009 at 11:19 am

57. Nikki says:

CHERIE: Number 1: I think you are completely out of line by trying to tell AKJ how to raise her child. What she says to her son or how she teaches her children right from wrong is none of your business. And I for one completely agree with her on this matter… Children do not need to be open-minded about things like this at such a young age. They should not be thinking about having babies and nursing babies. It’s just wrong. I think this will make children more curious about having their own children… This is where teen pregnancy comes in. M&M: for you to say that this is okay because people have been giving birth since they were 14 forever is just obsurd! We should not teach our 14 yr old babies that it is right to have babies. Are you people out of your minds?

July 31st, 2009 at 1:59 pm

58. Lisa says:

I don’t like this one little bit.

It makes me uncomfortable – I most definately would not buy one for my daughter.

July 31st, 2009 at 2:19 pm

59. Jasmine says:

Okay Let Me Just Say This….OMG WTF this doll really can be veiwed two diffrent ways…but I stilll think its a bad idea for a little boy to try to “nurse” one of his toys no way no how but…Your opinion is your opinion…..Mine is that this doll is inappropriate…and no kid of mine would ever play with one…but then again im 16 so what would i know right…..this is really working my teenage nerve….and i alson think some toy makers should think about the reaction a to will have on society before they make it….!!!!!

July 31st, 2009 at 3:58 pm

60. Jasmine says:

2 lisa directly:oh yeah HOW long is it healthy to Nurse a child anyway……dont you think 20-32 mths is toooo looong!!!!!

July 31st, 2009 at 4:01 pm

61. Susan says:

I think it’s stupid. Little kids do not need all this crap…they have really good imaginations, let them use it. They dont need ‘flowers’ and all that.

July 31st, 2009 at 4:06 pm

62. Liz says:

To Jasmine.

The WHO(World Health Organization) states for a child to get the full benefits of breastfeeding a child should be breastfed for a MINIMUM of two years.

My daughter is 3 and still nurses once or twice a day.

July 31st, 2009 at 9:15 pm

63. Liz says:

Btw. It’s the start of Breastfeeding awareness week. Lol.

July 31st, 2009 at 9:15 pm

64. anjii says:

Jasmine, there is no set period for “too long”. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends a MINIMUM of 2 years, and then to continue as long as both mother and child wish. (So does the Canadian Pediatrics. American Pediatrics says at LEAST 1 year.) Our culture in general is the only problem with long-term breastfeeding. In most cultures around the world, child-led weaning is the norm, and the average age for children to choose to stop nursing is anywhere from 2.5 – 4 years old. The health benefits (for child AND mother), continue for as long as the nursing does, as well as the emotional benefits.

July 31st, 2009 at 10:30 pm

65. kipp says:

Just not right, sell the baby without a bottle and let the children decide..This is just weird

August 1st, 2009 at 7:17 am

66. Jasmine says:

well you know what i feel that when a child gets teeth then its way past time for you to stop nursing but hey thats just my opinion you know!!!

August 1st, 2009 at 10:37 am

67. Heather says:

I think all the rude comments are quite crude and sad, I hope they aren’t from actual parents.

This is a marvelous idea and where can I get it in the U.S. ??

August 1st, 2009 at 3:58 pm

68. Heather says:

They can make dolls that pee and poop, but people leave immature and ridiculous comments about a doll that breastfeeds? Think about that people :)

August 1st, 2009 at 3:58 pm

69. Lola says:

I’m confused why people are so up in arms about this. “Oh no- it will make little girls want to have babies so they can really breastfeed!” “Mimicking breastfeeding is inappropriate because it’s something only adults do!”

I don’t get it- isn’t playing will dolls in general mimicking adults? Playing ‘house’? My 3 year old mimics her father and I by pretending to vacuum (with a vacuum that makes noise like a real vacuum), swaying her babies when they’re ‘crying’, pretending to drive a car that has a horn and wheels like a real car, etc…. These are adult activities as well. If it’s not wrong for a child to pretend play these things, why is a child pretending to breastfeed so wrong?

And here’s something for those of you who think a child pretending to breastfeed is so horrid: my 3 year old also pretends to give birth. She lays down on a flip-fold couch and grunts and says she pushed her baby out. I find it endearing. She also ‘nurses’ her babies. It’s not weird or gross; it’s natural- something many have lost sight of in this age of convenience.

August 1st, 2009 at 8:30 pm

70. Lola says:

Jasmine said: “i feel that when a child gets teeth then its way past time for you to stop nursing ”

Some babies are born with teeth. Some babies get teeth at 3 months old. Is that still too old?

August 1st, 2009 at 8:34 pm

71. Arianna says:

Jasmine, as you said, you are stating your opinion, which you are entitled to. You are also 16 and should hopefully have PLENTY of time to change your views before you are offered the opportunity of breastfeeding your child. However, The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends mothers breastfeed for at least the first twelve months of life and as long after as is mutually desired. Previous posters have stated the recommendations of other organizations. My daughter is 7 months old and has started to get her first 2 teeth. It would be ridiculous for me to rush to stop breastfeeding based on that. Perhaps you would change your opinion following some research.

August 1st, 2009 at 9:19 pm

72. anjii says:

It can be normal for some babies to get their first tooth around 4 months. The occasional rare baby is even BORN with a tooth or two… Is there some reason these babies don’t deserve all the benefits of breastmilk? According to your advice, everyone would stop nursing far sooner than the MINIMUM recommended by the AAP, which has the most relaxed standards of the 3 I mentioned. I’m really curious what your logic and reasoning is for using teeth as a cutoff point? It seems pretty random.

August 2nd, 2009 at 8:27 am

73. Jasmine says:

well you know i really dont know im trying to get the actual facts on this before i rush to make a judgement and i really didnt mean to come off harsh or rude
    i just thought it would really hurt it you try to breastfeed witha child clamping down on ur breast that has teeth!!!!
    ~!~ I Just Wanna Know The Facts and hear the diffrent veiws on this subject~!~

August 2nd, 2009 at 10:30 am

74. anjii says:

I think it’s great that you want to educate yourself :) With a proper latch, the tongue covers the bottom teeth, and the top teeth have never posed any problem for me and my babies. I will be honest and say that both my boys went through a short biting phase. When they did, I would just unlatch them and make them wait a couple minutes before I’d let them finish nursing. It took less than a week for them to realize that biting = no food, and they stopped completely. Again, congrats for being willing to learn more, so you’ll be prepared when it’s your time to be a mother!

August 2nd, 2009 at 10:56 am

75. Serena says:

Jasmine, it is impossible for a child to bite you while latched on correctly. Yes, when they first get some teeth, you might get scraped or bit a couple times but it is not hard to teach a child with teeth not to bite. Heck, biting with no teeth is quite painful, gums are harder than you may think, but as I said it is not hard to teeth a baby not to bite, and you can tell when they are no longer latched on right so you can stop the biting before it happens.

August 2nd, 2009 at 11:00 am

76. dragonchilde says:

As the mother of a child with teeth who is still nursing, I can assure you that they don’t spend their entire time nursing chewing on your nipples.

16 months and going strong.

And I’ve been bitten more BEFORE she had teeth than after (and it hurt more then!)

August 2nd, 2009 at 1:30 pm

77. dragonchilde says:

Oh, and to explain the technique, a baby who is properly latched will have her tongue between your nipple and her bottom teeth… so if she bites, she’s actually biting herself!

They really don’t make a habit out of it.

And if they DO manage to bite, it’s not hard at all to teach them not to. I’ve only been bitten ONCE by a baby with teeth. I unlatched, set her down, she cried, and when she calmed down, back she went, and hasn’t bitten since.

August 2nd, 2009 at 1:33 pm

78. Jasmine says:

HEY…like I said I just want to know the facts and you know what I dont have kids and I really am just trying to figure this whole thing out before I get there cause i got 3 1/2 more months before I really have to make that decision!!!

August 2nd, 2009 at 1:36 pm

79. Fizzmama says:

I’m so confused as to why it’s okay for us to let our child ‘pretend’ to be a mommy, to buy her Barbies and let them ‘pretend’ to drive, to give them dolls that ‘pretend’ to poop or wet their diapers, even to give them little toy police sets that allow them to ‘pretend’ to fire guns, arrest bad guys, etc…

How are all those things okay, and yet breastfeeding is not? I’m not concerned that my daughter’s pooping doll is going to turn her into a closet coprophile, so why would I think that a breastfeeding doll would somehow do something bad to her?

Breasts are not solely sexual. To teach your child that by freaking out about them is to teach her to be nervous about her own body. That seems like it would be worse than letting her breastfeed, at least to me.

August 2nd, 2009 at 9:35 pm

80. Stephanie says:

you got to be kidding me. This doll is crazy. No, noone should buy this doll for their child. When they grow up and have their own children that’s when they can decide to breastfeed. This is the stupidest thing that is on the market and by the way I do have a little girl.

August 3rd, 2009 at 6:07 am

81. DeWey says:

A Yankee liberal who hates the puritanical chains that still drag this country down …. BUT, somehow this is a bit unsettling. One poster mentioned that a “pooping” doll is sick not a natural-nursing one. Well, when did pooping become unnatural. It felt VERY natural for me this morning. And why not have a menstruating doll? Maybe a Benjamin Button doll that is a tiny old man with prostate cancer because he outlived every other illness?

I think EVERYone regardless of their home base on the linear:
    Left Center Right

feels that there are stages of life learning. And this doll would IMO jump the gun.

So many natural nursing mothers here have said that their children DO see them as role models, boys too. And they follow that up with age appropriate education. THAT’S Natural! And terrific! And like some said, YES let’s encourage a child’s imagination.

Hell I remember being about 5 and playing “Tonka Trucks” one day with my neighbor, having a BLAST, and neither of us actually had Tonkas. And since my grandfather worked construction, I took the lead that day. Which also lead to me doing some silly stunt that caused me to tumble ass-over-applecart, knocking out a tooth and half ripping my nose off. Within about 15 seconds of me starting to ball my eyes out, Mom was there and had me unnecessarily to the dentist in like 20 minutes. It was a baby tooth. All the elements of a great childhood in one day, one memory.
    Imagination, physical activity, social structure, family and health.

August 3rd, 2009 at 9:27 am

82. Heather says:

YOUNG CHILDREN DO NOT NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BREAST FEEDING…THEY ARE TO YOUNG TO KNOW.

August 3rd, 2009 at 9:37 am

83. dede says:

its great for 12year olds i have one

August 3rd, 2009 at 9:41 am

84. Kate says:

Children are too young to know about breastfeeding? Are you kidding? That’s like saying children are too young to know where boogers come from. Children aren’t too young to know almost anything. Even if you don’t tell them certain things, they’ll be wondering about it. If I ever have another child I’m not going to hide myself while feeding it because -gasp!- my son might see it and ask questions! The only people who would make breastfeeding sexual is the parent, not the child. And guess what! If you don’t teach them, then they go find out somewhere else anyways and it might not be in the way you wanted. I was very aware of sex by the time I was 8 but my parents never gave me “the talk” until I was 16. I’m just lucky to have a good head on my shoulders, otherwise I could have had sex before I was 18 or been a pregnant teen because I wasn’t taught anything by my parents. Education CANNOT hurt a child, it can only help; however, the LACK OF education WILL hurt a child. It’s not like a child witnessing breastfeeding leads to them having sex! The closest thing it would come to is “Where do babies come from?” at which point you can teach your child what is and isn’t appropriate if you so choose.

By the way, not allowing your girl to talk to boys until they’re 18 is a sure-fire way to screw them up. Having friends who are boys doesn’t lead to teen pregnancy. I should know. I had a good number of guy friends growing up, and gee, here I am NOT having been a teen mom.

August 3rd, 2009 at 1:06 pm

85. Stephanie says:

yes its real good for a 12 year old to know about breastfeeding the next thing u know she will be pregnant……………………….

August 3rd, 2009 at 6:00 pm

86. Amy says:

I would not purchase this doll only because children will “nurse” any baby doll from example, but I am appauled by some of the comments. It seems that it is socially acceptable to purchase a baby with a “bottle” but not one who specifically nurses. Breastfeeding is natural. It is our society who places a negative feel to it. Breasts are there for a purpose, not just for sex.
    I am simply appauled.

August 3rd, 2009 at 7:33 pm

87. Brittany says:

Wow, so many comment’s didn’t get to read them all.

But well said Candi. The Flower thing is a little funny, but you don’t need to use it.

August 3rd, 2009 at 7:42 pm

88. Stephanie says:

The person that made this doll is messed up in the head and so are all you people that believe in. Give me a freakin break people.

August 4th, 2009 at 11:17 am

89. Stephanie says:

by the way this doll will never make it to the U.S. so I don’t know what the big fuss is about

August 4th, 2009 at 11:18 am

90. Nydia says:

I believe is taking breast-feeding to the wrong crowd. It is the worst idea ever. What are you guys thinking? It is not even cute. It’s disgusting! Do we really want to promote this to our little girls. What is next… Give me a break.

August 4th, 2009 at 12:41 pm

91. Stephanie Ann says:

OK, I don’t get all of the controversy. My daughter imitates everything I do and I do mean everything. She sees me cook, she play cooks with her kitchen. She sees me rock a baby, she rocks her baby doll. She sees me vacuum, she uses her vacuum.

I’m 100% positive that if she saw me breastfeeding a baby, she would act it out as well. The whole lets let kids be kids doesn’t make sense when all of us are fine with play cooking and cleaning. My 2 year old daughter isn’t *actually* cooking or cleaning, therefore she isn’t *actually* breastfeeding.

She’s learning about her mom and what moms do. Little girls look up to their mothers. This doll would probably be a favorite toy to a young girl, especially one with a mother who is breastfeeding a baby at the time, just like my daughter’s favorite toys include her baby doll, kitchen, and play vacuum.

In no way is it gross or inappropriate, breastfeeding is a beautiful thing and little girls should grow up embracing it not wincing at it.

August 4th, 2009 at 12:43 pm

92. Joanne says:

The lot of you are absolutely hilarious. I’ve read every comment here and you’re absurd. A good portion of you are posting “this will teach them that breastfeeding is natural rather than make them cringe as society would have it!” Where on Earth are you that breastfeeding is considered unnatural?! I’ve been all over and I can tell you I’ve not met one person who was opposed to it unless you count the few who are offended when mothers breastfeed right in the middle of a public place.

This doll is teaching them nothing. Any possible apprehension to breastfeeding will be learned from the parents, not a doll. Even if your child doesn’t learn about this while they’re little it’s simply not necessary and if you want to avoid any negative connotation about it then at least maintain neutral ground.

It’s just another doll on the market. It’s just another effort to make money. It’s just another thing in this already bizarre world.

August 4th, 2009 at 9:16 pm

93. shelly says:

Awesome product!!! IT is about time we promote a healthy view of the body and a healthy acceptance of femininity. I think girls do pretend to breastfeed and its not usually talked about. I remember girls pretending to breast feed when I was young.

August 5th, 2009 at 5:46 am

94. ARH says:

1.) at least the company tried to promote breastfeeding.
    2.) when my son was little he ‘nursed’ his stuffed animals for a brief time, as he got older then came the knowledge of understanding. He is now a teen who knows that he would like the woman he is to marry to breastfeed their children.
    3.) with out daughter if the doll comes with a bottle, it is pitched. I try to by the dolls that don’t come with them. Abby pulls up her shirt to feed her baby and she also ‘wears’ her baby as well.
    4.) this doll is a little weriod with the flower thing and cracked nipples. That is a bit off, but they are trying.
    5.) maybe if more families educate their children both boys and girls then as they grow up and have families then they will make educated choices as well.
    Amy

August 5th, 2009 at 5:56 am

95. Stephanie says:

Breast feeding is perfectly natural and there is nothing wrong with it but why would you want to promote it to your child. If your child acts it out then that is just something they do but you dont have to have a stupid doll like this. Give me a freakin break people. Little girls do not need to know about breastfeeding at such a young age and yes it does lead to other things. Why do you think children are having children these days because they grow up and dream about being mothers and then they dont use anything and guess what happens. OOPS I’m Pregnant mom.

August 5th, 2009 at 5:58 am

96. Barb says:

I think this doll is a wonderful idea. There are so many dolls that “drink” from bottles, why shouldn’t there be a choice. If sold in Canada I would definately buy one for my children.
    The breast is best and if someone seee something as natural as brestfeeding in a sexual manner they have more problems than a nuring doll. We allow our daughters to play with dolls that look like street walkers but not breastfeeding doll? Where is the sense in that.

August 5th, 2009 at 6:35 am

97. Brittany says:

I am truly shocked at the ignorance of a lot of these comments. It’s one thing to have an opinion, but it’s another to ridicule others and try to bully them into thinking they are doing something “wrong” just because YOU are uneducated on the subject. The majority of the people who are against this doll also seem to know very little about breastfeeding in general. I feel bad for their children and hope that they grow up more open-minded and educated in spite of their parents. It’s such a shame… I bet you people think it’s normal to let your sons play with toy guns, yet you wouldn’t want your daughters to learn about breastfeeding. Why? Because it makes YOU uncomfortable? I completely agree with Kate, and this is an example of the problem with our society and our country. EDUCATE YOURSELVES PEOPLE, and only then make a decision and voice your opinion. You owe it to your children.

August 5th, 2009 at 6:43 am

98. Maria says:

i agree with u stephanie…come on its lk that show on tv 16 and pregnant..please lk we are prouud..i know it happens but come on i wouldnt put my daughter on that show and than 6 years old i would not get my daughter this doll…it needs to be a recall

August 5th, 2009 at 6:44 am

99. Victoria says:

The company making this doll is not trying to promote breastfeeding, it’s trying to make a profit. Whether its weird or not is subjective and besides the point. There are plenty of very weird toys on the market that sell by the billions. In the context of our consumerist world, whether or not the doll sells is a reflection of how we feel about breastfeeding, not of how weird the doll is.

I haven’t made up my mind about this doll in particular but the concept of a child pretending to nurse is in no way innappropriate. I hope that other companies capitalize on this idea and make their own version of a breastfeeding doll.

By the way, “bebe gloton” is a very endearing term. In terms of the connotation, I would translate it to “happily fed baby”. Plumpness is a sign of health for Spanish babies. I am in my late 20′s and slender and my mother still calls me “gorda” (fatty). I remember being offended once as a teenager when she called me “flaca”(skinny girl).

August 5th, 2009 at 8:52 am

100. Victoria says:

About Stephanie’s last comment, “children are having children these days because they grow up and dream about being mothers”…

Really? Are teen pregnancies actually intentional? That’s news to me.

August 5th, 2009 at 8:59 am

101. Beth says:

If you little girl wants to give her baby a bottle the fine, if she shoves it under her shirt to mimic breastfeeding fine. I both breast and bottle feed (with formula) my girls, I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. It has to do with being a mom and making that decision for yourself. What are you going to do when you child grows up and doesn’t breast feed?

August 5th, 2009 at 10:32 am

102. Shelly Castaneda says:

I think this is just cute as heck. I have 4 kids and am pregnant again… every time I have a baby and breast feed my older kids get their babies and pretend they are breast feeding too. So funny.

August 5th, 2009 at 2:05 pm

103. Tracy says:

I’ve read all the comments, and have to say a few things.

1. Jasmine, here’s a simple way to ease your mind about teeth and breastfeeding: drink through a straw and pay attention to what’s happening. You’ll find that you lose suction as you apply pressure with your teeth, and you’ll drink more effectively when you relax your teeth and form a vacuum with your lips, tongue and floor of your mouth. I promise you that when your baby comes, s/he will learn the mechanics fast and teeth shouldn’t be an issue by the time they start to come in.

2. To anyone who would buy one of these dolls if it were sold in your country, keep checking eBay because it will be there soon! It hasn’t failed me yet when I’ve been unable to find something sold in the US.

3. To everyone who is disgusted by the very idea of this doll, have you ever watched what kids do at the playground?? I’d much rather see a child play with an toy that some find “inappropriate” than to see him cramming unidentifiable nasties from the sandbox into his mouth while his mummy’s back was turned for a split second. At least the toy doesn’t have the potential to kill him, or make someone else lose his lunch in the viewing.

Good on anyone who makes a toy that resonates this profoundly! It’s stirred quite the dialogue, and the exchange of ideas is always a good thing.

August 5th, 2009 at 5:31 pm

104. momo says:

breast feedings cool and all but im a preteen and i would never use this even when i was little i think its just 2 weid and wouldent let my little sister use it ether pls it would be 2 “inapropeat” 4 littlekids in the usa also i dont think this promots early prego were learnin about that in school anyway.thats just frome a tweensstand point

August 5th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

105. Tasmin says:

I think this is a fantastic doll. I think it’s as fantastic as toy kitchens, toy brooms, toy gardening equipment etc. I think it’s fantastic because it is NORMAL. Those who are saying that children should not be exposed to this because breastfeeding is not in the domain of children really need to have a think. Should we also be removing all toy cars because children aren’t allowed to drive ’til they’re an adult? What about banning playing doctors/nurses because children aren’t permitted to perform Drs duties in real life? LUDICROUS!!!! It’s all roleplaying – children making sense of the world and mimicking what they see – like with everything. They mimic what adults say and how they interact with the world. That’s how they learn! It is sad how western society view breasts as sexual when they are in fact functional. I would definitely consider buying this for my son.

August 5th, 2009 at 5:53 pm

106. Charlotte says:

I think this is a great doll.My daughters bf all their babies.No bottles here.Having that been said I was not a teen mom and I don’t see them being a teen mom just because they are bfing their babies.A bottle would have the same affect.So those of you saying that just bc the doll promotes bfing that my daoughter wants to now be a mom…please.I have bfed all 7 of my children(I am one of those women that do it in public)and you will never see my husband or any of my children staring at a women that is bfing her baby.I have noticed many adults and children doing the “stare”.Do you stare at women bottle feeding?We think of breasts as tools for feeding our babies not sexual.That is why God gave them to us to feed our babies.Therefore bring on the breastfeeding doll because we have no bottles here!!

August 5th, 2009 at 8:21 pm

107. Telezar says:

If role playing feeding a baby normally is such a subject of discussion, then doesn’t artificial feeding warrant the same criticisms? Either way it’s role playing feeding a baby, which some posters seemed to think was setting little feet on the dark path towards teen pregnancy or worse – actually viewing breastfeeding as something other than sexual. Children imitate their parents in order to learn life skills and how to be an adult. If their toy chests contain guns, bottles, and scantily clad dolls with impossible dimensions, then a breastfeeding doll seems normal in comparison.

August 5th, 2009 at 8:24 pm

108. Emily says:

So, to everyone who thinks that breastfeeding a doll (or stuffed animal) or even bottle feeding (goes both ways, you know), is promoting teen pregnancy, does this mean you don’t allow your children to play with dolls? Or play house? This is what little children do. They mimic adults, they role play, it is how they learn. Are blocks the only thing your children play with until they are 18?

And what kind of weirdos think that children are too young to know about breastfeeding. They are the ones who breastfeed. Possibly the toddler or preschooler who is allowing her doll to breastfeed is still breastfeeding herself, as nature intends. If they are taught that it is dirty they then will hold onto that and not want to breastfeed their own children, very sad.

This is not an issue of opinion, it is fact. Many posters, on here, need an education in real life child raising and to get their minds out of the gutter. This really shows the ignorance of people on the subject and how many people need to become more informed and get an EDUCATION.

Do you also view bottle feeding as innapropriate because the cylindrical shape is a phallic symbol? How gross. How did you feed your children?

August 6th, 2009 at 7:44 am

109. Meredith says:

While I don’t find breastfeeding inappropriate in any way, I fail to see how this doll really teaches children. For one, it is a fact that only mothers can breastfeed, and why shouldn’t children learn that? How hard is it to explain that only mothers are capable of producing milk? Furthermore, the flower nipples give an inaccurate representation of real nipples, so the halter top really just circumvents learning about the actual breastfeeding process. Rather than watching women who do breastfeed and learning from that, this doll would make it appear that an infant can simply suck milk out from ones clothes. Ditch the bottles if you want, but why add the trivial accessories?

August 6th, 2009 at 8:02 am

110. Cherie says:

Baby Alive, by Hasbro!! How awful is this doll, it may promote little girls and boys wanting to someday have SEX and become parents. Oh my gosh! “Playing “mommy” is even more realistic with this sweet baby doll! Press the doll’s bracelet to “wake” her up. It’s time to eat! Mix her special food and feed her, using her bowl and spoon – she’ll really “chew” her food and even “drink” from her bottle – and tell you how much she likes it! And since she’s “potty training”, she’ll also let you know when she needs to go. Better hurry, though! Put her on the potty and she’ll “pee” and “poop”. But if you don’t get there in time, you might hear her say, “Oops. I had an accident! Her name is Baby Alive, by Hasbro.” http://www.hasbro.com/babyalive/en_US/shop/details.cfm?guid=93FEC881-6D40-1014-8BF0-9EFBF894F9D4&product_id=22167&src=endeca

August 6th, 2009 at 12:06 pm

111. Rachel G says:

I think it’s great! Breast is more natural than bottle (I did both BTW). And what on earth could be bad about allowing a child to play pretend and mimic adults. I mean unless the child has siblings to help tend to, how else are children (boys and girls) suposed to learn compassion and caring for babies if not by pretending? And the top is just a way to activate the sucking sounds just as a bottle activates feeding sounds in other babies.

August 6th, 2009 at 1:38 pm

112. natacia says:

i believe breast feeding should be done in the privacy of your home…childrens minds are fragile & innocent … i think they will take a different approach & make a joke out of it when having a play date or out in public. to some people this can be very uncomfortable. i do not agree with this product. i am very against it. the market is sending out bad examples to our children.
    sincerely,
    mother of two

August 6th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

113. Shirey says:

how much are the dolls,,,, I would like to see more on them thank you

August 6th, 2009 at 2:42 pm

114. Toy Whimsy says:

Just posted a blog about this baby here, with a mention about Thingamababy.

Thanks!

August 6th, 2009 at 4:40 pm

115. Princess says:

“This is where teen pregnancy comes in.”
    Teen pregnancy doesn’t come from dolls, or learning. It comes when children grow up in a house where they’re not talked to and not informed. Teen pregnancy usually comes because of lazy parents not wanting to take the time to actually talk to their children and EDUCATE them on LIFE matters. Teen pregnancy doesn’t come from children being informed on the ONLY natural way to feed a newborn (This coming from a mother who mainly bottle feed four children).
    What else do you plan on hiding from your children? Do you plan on teaching them nothing at all until the exact moment in their life you deem it appropriate?
    What else do you not let them do because of this viewpoint? No toy cars right? They might want to run out and drive a car at 6, no tea party sets huh? It might make them want to run out and play with the stove. Oh have a toy lawn mower? Can’t let them play with that, they might want to play with the real one.
    Damn, time for you to just lock them in the basement if you haven’t already. They might actually be exposed to the world and grow up informed and educated instead of ignorant and close-minded.

August 6th, 2009 at 5:12 pm

116. Princess says:

“i believe breast feeding should be done in the privacy of your home”
    So what do you do if you’re out and your breast fed child is hungry? Starve them until you get back home? Do you take them into a germ ridden, filthy bathroom and make them eat there? Would you eat there? Do you find it inappropriate to eat in public yourself? Chewing, swallowing and digesting all that food?
    “childrens minds are fragile & innocent … i think they will take a different approach & make a joke out of it when having a play date or out in public.”
    That’s why children need to be taught about natural functions at an early age, in an informed way, by informed parents, instead of leaving it up to their buddies on the playground.
    “to some people this can be very uncomfortable.”
    Mostly to people who are uninformed on the subject or people who were raised in a household where breastfeeding was treated as a sexual act. Why not stop that with your own children?
    “the market is sending out bad examples to our children.”
    And what example is that? That the best and healthiest way to feed your infants is with breast milk? Is it the example that breast were NOT created to be sexual objects that bothers you? Or are you bothered because this doll is capable of teaching your child something that you cannot or will not teach them?

August 6th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

117. Amber N. says:

I don’t understand all the fuss. The shirt seems silly to me because most kids will just lift theirs like mom anyway, so it’s pointless in that aspect.

Breastfeeding is natural, and children imitate everything their parents do. It’s how they learn. BFing is not sexual, so there is no reason for children not to imitate it. They will see mom BFing anyway, so what is the big deal?

This will not promote teen pregnancy. The reason for teen pregnancy is a lack of education. Abstinence only education doesn’t work and neither does no sex ed. Children feed their babies with bottles sometimes too, does that mean they will get knocked up by the time they are 13? No, if that happens it is on the parent for many different reasons.

August 6th, 2009 at 7:05 pm

118. Sara says:

Hmm..this toy struck me as extremely odd.
    I’ve been trying to be a tad bit more open-minded about it, and I can see from all perspectives on it, but it still is just strange to me.
    I agree with those who think it’s a nice lesson to your children, and what not. But, I also see how some can see it as “innappropriate”.
    I think it’s not as innappropriate as we find it to be; we just aren’t used to the idea of breastfeeding being that open and revealed to children, which causes some uproar of course. And now that it is being exposed through a toy like this, a lot of people are thinking it’s “twisted” and “sexual”.
    Hmm..maybe we aren’t used to the idea just yet. Due to how America is and the way we view things, the product will probably never sell here. Then again, who knows. It could have its benefits and its downfalls, just like everything, but everything deserves a chance. Kudos to whomever gives it a chance. =D

August 6th, 2009 at 9:47 pm

119. Jen says:

Breastfeeding DOES NOTBELONG INTHE PRIVACY OF THE HOME!!!! IT BELONGS EVERYWHERE!!!!! I hope that every mother out there that is “uncomfortable” with this idea has the most in your face public breastfeeding daughters on the planet when they grow up and have their own children. In SPAIN, as in other European countries, who LAUGH at the U.S. for our adolecent maturity about boobs as a society in whole, they dont see every piece of flesh as SEXUAL…BREASTFEEDING IS NOT SEX!!! IT IS NOT OBSCENE!!! Apparently this is the only country where we are enammored by the S word that we cant see beayty for what it truly is. Shame on us. Makes me want to spit.

Where can I buy this doll? I want 20 of them. I may take them to your kids kindergarten and pass them out Natacia…UNCOMFORTABLE MAMMAS. Wrong message???PUHLEASE….puke.

August 6th, 2009 at 10:02 pm

120. Jess says:

I think some of you are crazy. I don’t believe a breastfeeding doll will promote teen pregnacy.

Natacia: that is not right of you to say “that breastfeeding should be done in the privacy of your home”. Your telling me that you never feed your children in public with a bottle? It only uncomfortable to people that dont have the education they should have. And how is it a bad example for our children?

I have nursed both of my children and am currently nursing my baby and I do it wherever I am when shes hungry but there is a difference between feeding your child and letting you boob hang out. I think thats what people are afraid of when seeing someone breastfeed in public.

If you breastfeed in your house your children are gonna do it also with or without this doll but I think this doll is a good idea and as some posts said there are a few flaws with the accessories. Insite from breastfeeding moms would help. But in all a good effort from toy makers.

August 6th, 2009 at 10:43 pm

121. Sally says:

Wow lots of comments on this one, Im a breastfeeding mother I have nursed all 6 of my kids and the older ones always saw me nurse the younger ones, my 2 year old little boy sometimes pretends to nurse his toys, and I think that its great he will see nursing as important and my 6 year old girl already knows its important! and I think this doll for some would encourage breastfeeding as apposed to bottle feeding! Just one Major comment that everyone else has mentioned on PASTIES!!… they are NOT pasties, but they activate the baby to make a noise when bought to the childs chest if it wasnt for that it wouldnt make a sound. what should they have made fake boobs instead??

August 7th, 2009 at 5:36 am

122. Connieg says:

Absolutely fantastic.. about time that society realised that however much that they pretend this IS the way it was intended…. I can’t believe people find this weird and gross.. but it does show me what is wrong with society these days… they are pushing ABNORMAL and ARTIFICIAL thinking patterns on youngsters…

August 7th, 2009 at 6:06 am

123. Susan says:

Interesting. One thing I think everyone who posted has forgotten the core of what a human being is. We are mammals which means we produce milk. I’ve explained to my son the difference between boys and girls and this ability to produce milk. I’ve also explained that we are lucky to live in a time that women have the option to produce milk or not and still have their baby survive. Just not sure why this is offensive to people.

August 7th, 2009 at 6:11 am

124. ilse says:

people are deranged. since when is feeding a child an act of sex??? get over it. breasts are everywhere for sexual purposes selling everything from lipstick to cars and beer, and now that they’re promoting a natural and the best available food source for a baby, people get scandalized??? please.

August 7th, 2009 at 6:23 am

125. Concerned says:

Yes, Breast feeding is natural and shouldn’t be frowned upon. But just because something is a natural function doesn’t make it OK for kids to immitate it. Sex is also 100% natural, so is a woman’s menstrual cycle, yeast infections and hemmoroids. We wouldn’t want young children playing with anything to prepare them for any of this stuff. Why would we want to encourage our children to want to grow up and have kids so quickly?

August 7th, 2009 at 9:02 am

126. Linda says:

I can’t believe that people are offended by this. I worked in day care for 8 years and have seen children pretend to breastfeed their dolls. If the mother or other women in their lives do it then the child will imatate it. We as a culture have made it a thing that must be done in private because of our stigma of it being sexual in nature. We have breasts that produce milk for our babies because we are mammals. It is the best way to feed our children for their health and the mothers breast health.

August 7th, 2009 at 9:30 am

127. donna says:

I just saw this toy on a local news program and the viewer comments were all bad. I love it! as an expectant mother we are all told nursing is the best way to feed our babies. But as a child i never saw anyone actually doing it. To everyone who has a problem with the flower pasties would you rather it have real nipples sewn on?

August 7th, 2009 at 10:39 am

128. Canamera says:

I think this is a great idea. I never liked the idea of my children pretending to feed their baby dolls using bottles since we believe breastfeeding is the way to go. So I always threw out any toy bottles they got as gifts. This would be a nice way for the kids to imitate their mother feeding a child in the natural way. Maybe if kids grow up without thinking breasts are dirty or just for sexual purposes, then they will be more comfortable breastfeeding than people today. I applaud this company. I have also lived in Spain and find the naming of the doll cute and affectionate.

August 7th, 2009 at 1:04 pm

129. Michele Parks says:

Where can I get one?

August 7th, 2009 at 8:12 pm

130. philomom says:

What a great doll. I like it.

August 7th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

131. doris says:

I Have a 9 year old who loves dolls and if it EVER comes out in america I WOULD LOVE TO give it to her … it sucks 2 know it’s only in spain . well yea //????????

August 8th, 2009 at 7:44 am

132. Angie says:

Stephanie said “Little girls do not need to know about breastfeeding at such a young age and yes it does lead to other things. Why do you think children are having children these days because they grow up and dream about being mothers and then they dont use anything and guess what happens. OOPS I’m Pregnant mom.”

Teen pregnancies happen for a lot of reasons: teen girls feel unloved adn want a baby who will love them unconditionally; teen girls can’t say no to sex because they don’t want to lose a boyfriend; teen girls don’t give a crap what happens to them because they feel their lives suck. But I must admit I have never heard of a girl getting pregnant because she had such a wonderful bond with her dolly while she was growing up that it seemed like a good idea.

August 8th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

133. Deanna says:

I think that if the people who are offended/concerned by this stop and consider seriously what it is about it that upsets them, they will find that, whether they realized it or not, they are simply unable to seperate breasts from sex in their minds. What other possible reason could there be? As another poster pointed out, children act out many other types of adult activities all the time, and no one has any problem with that.

August 8th, 2009 at 3:48 pm

134. Kim at Dogwood Ridge says:

As a pediatrician I welcome this doll. Baby dolls don’t need bottles, they need nurturing, and if little girls can associate their pretend play with lovingly breastfeeding their baby dolls and it plants a tiny positive seed in their little brains it would be a most excellent toy to invest in.

August 8th, 2009 at 4:14 pm

135. The Deranged Housewife says:

It seems the majority of negative comments about this doll come from the US and UK, where breastfeeding rates are lowest (and where people seem to have a real hangup about boobs being solely for pleasure). Not surprisingly, Spain has a high rate of breastfeeding.

August 11th, 2009 at 5:35 pm

136. jacquelyn says:

i think it is cool, i mean i am a 10 year old and i would love to have this.

August 13th, 2009 at 10:29 am

137. Christy says:

It amazes me that in the U.S., breasts are considered for men’s pleasure, not for babies – their intended purpose. People seem to have no problem with women shaking them naked in bars, yet use them to nourish a hungry baby and it is obscene. That is absurd.

August 14th, 2009 at 11:51 am