Review: PRIMO EuroBath, the Best Baby Bath Solution

Photo of my 14-month-old fully clothed son sitting upright in a PRIMO EuroBath tub on our living room floor.

Forget bath tubs that fit over your kitchen sink. Been there, done that. Your baby will outgrow them quickly and the splashing makes a mess. Bath time should be about rockin’ and a-rollin’, splishin’ and a-splashin’. Encourage it.

Behold the PRIMO EuroBath, made in America. Is it based on a European tub or just hokey marketing? I don’t know, but this is one hip basin.

The tub sits inside your home’s bathtub and is quite large, 36″ long by 21″ wide by 10″ deep.

It cradles your baby from birth to 12 months at a good angle, with tall sides and a “safety post” between the legs that keeps your kid from slipping down. He can thrash about, splash and have fun with much less concern for you about him falling out or under the water.

With our daughter’s kitchen sink tub, we held her at every moment for fear that something might happen. And when she outgrew it, then what, move her straight to an adult tub? In the EuroBath we sit next to our son and let him splash away, and the tub grows with him.

Photo of my six-month-old son splashing in the tub.

Around his first birthday, we moved him to the other end of the tub where the contours allow him to sit upright, again with a safety post between his legs.

If you have a second child not too far apart in years or size, both your kids might even fit inside facing each other.

(In the photo above, my son’s legs are over the top of the safety post instead of around it, but his butt is safely wedged against the post, keeping him from sliding down.)

EuroBath has a standard built-in drain, and the frame has two recessed spots for soap or a sponge. And, yes, the tub is free of BPA, phthalates and lead.

The tub has a hole for hanging on a wall hook to drain, but our bathroom is far too small for such things. We just leave it upside down in the adult tub to dry.

We’ve been using a EuroBath on loan from a friend because we decided to have a second child after a 4-year sold-all-our-gear gap between kids. The loaning mother is still gaga over how safe it made her feel when bathing her daughter.

Go ahead and try telling me your non-EuroBath tub is the best baby bath solution, but technically you’ll be wrong because any such claims contravene the article title at the top of this page. You’d only be embarrassing yourself by making such silly claims.

Photo of my 12-month-old son sitting upright in the tub while sporting a shampoo mohawk.

Comments

16 Responses to “Review: PRIMO EuroBath, the Best Baby Bath Solution”

1. kelli says:

We love this tub! We only recently moved my 5-year-old (and 3-year-old, too) out of it — it was much easier to fill than the big, cold, cast iron tub in the bathroom. Now the boys take a shower and my 1-year-old uses the tub.

We never got the hanging thing to work — it either sits in the big tub between baths, or sits on top of our stacking washer/dryer unit in the hallway.

June 4th, 2009 at 6:32 am

2. Miriam says:

Great tub! The (and this is a sad commentary on my life) added bonus is that you don’t have to keep the big people tub as clean as you would if you were bathing your kid in it all the time. And, if there is an unfortunate accident in the little tub, you can stand the kid up in the big tub and hose them down without the mess of having to drain/clean out the big tub.

June 4th, 2009 at 7:26 am

3. harry says:

i agree
    a great tub, reasonably priced
    a nice neutral style & color w/o the unnecessary frills of other tubs

June 4th, 2009 at 8:51 am

4. Mary A. says:

I have nothing to say about the tub itself- but holy cow- your little boy is so cute! When did he get all that hair? He is looking so much like his sister.

June 4th, 2009 at 9:15 am

5. anjii says:

I really wanted one of these, but couldn’t find anything local, and can’t afford shipping on something so big, lol… maybe by the next kid, they’ll be easier to find in stores : )

June 4th, 2009 at 10:24 am

6. leslie says:

To anjii:

If you follow AJs Amazon link, I think you’ll see that the shipping is free for this item? You just have to select “Free Supersaver Shipping” when you get to the Shipping Details section of the checkout.

****
    I bought this bathtub 4.5 years ago and used it from infancy to about 1.5 years for both of my kids. From birth to about 3 months, I placed the tub on the kitchen counter and bathed them there. At around 4 months, we placed it inside the adult bathtub and bathed them there. At around 1.5 years old, both of my kids wanted to wiggle and squirm a little more than this tub would allow, so we began bathing them in the adult bath tub from that age on.

Even though I only used it for 1.5 years for each kid, I still think it was completely worth the money, for the reason’s AJ stated above. This tub is ergonomically made to support a baby comfortably during bath time, it’s so worth it.

June 4th, 2009 at 1:24 pm

7. Maggie says:

A friend of ours recommended this tub. We love it! We moved our son into the adult bathtub recently and he is almost 2. It wasn’t expensive at all and it was nice seeing him so secure when he was an infant.

I second what Miriam said about not having to keep the adult tub as clean!

June 4th, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Leslie, I believe anjii’s issue is that she is located in Canada and amazon.ca doesn’t carry the tub. But the currency exchange rate is so good that if a local store carries it, the tub should be dirt cheap.

June 4th, 2009 at 7:21 pm

9. Jennifer says:

I love the “centre post” idea (I’m Canadian!), but didn’t want to buy a whole other baby tub (plus, no storage space). We ended up with a SEAT, also made by Primo, that has the same centre-support idea and non-slip feet that let you use it in a regular tub. Slightly less secure, but a whole lot more room for our older dd to co-bathe! We LOVED it.

June 4th, 2009 at 8:04 pm

10. Jen says:

Love this tub!!

June 4th, 2009 at 11:07 pm

11. JMo says:

I wanted to get this for my first child, but it seemed so big and bunky. We had an oversized sink and made due w/ that a bath mat until he was 9 months old.

Now I’m about to have #2 … been thinking that I should get a bath sling that sits in the tub, so we can bath both of them at the same time in a few months.

Having 2 kids in this seems kinda tight for space.

June 5th, 2009 at 12:04 pm

12. Natalie says:

I am in love with this tub. You wouldn’t believe it, but we still bathe our 2.5 year-old in it. And I got it at Craigslist for $10 :)

June 7th, 2009 at 9:18 pm

13. Patti says:

See, I said piffle to the whole tub thing, but then I have a very forgiving definition of baby danger *checks over shoulder for specter of CPS*.

Without going through all the various bathing options I have picked from at his differing ages, I’ll just cut to the chase and say that my not-quite-13 month old has been bathing in a real-people tub or shower for many many months. Yes “by himself” as in without me actually inside the tub with him.

We installed a double shower head (standard attached to the wall for head one, and bonus removable sprayer for head two) to make it even easier. Even now that he’s walking and has no fear about walking away from me as I’m soaping him down, its just much less hassle to use the sprayer on him and then let him enjoy himself under his own power until I call it quits.

And I have nothing extra to store (except the old, old baby bathtub from kid 1 and the stupid bath chair thingy I thought would be a good idea for this kid).

June 8th, 2009 at 9:35 am

14. Patti says:

Oh, and dude that kid is preciously cute.

June 8th, 2009 at 9:36 am

15. Guiselle says:

I absolute love this tub! As a first time parent, bath time was a scary task. This tub makes it super easy!, it actually allows both of my hands to be used for bathing. My son loves his tub, it has plenty of space for legs to kick around and splash water all over the place.

August 25th, 2009 at 9:35 am

16. Elizabeth W. says:

I’m with Patti – we use the baby sink bath only until they can sit up and then it’s a real people tub with a non-slip mat and only like 2 inches of water. I really don’t like any baby baths at all but I make an exception for newborns because they are MUCH easier to bathe when they are up at standing stomach level plus they don’t splash really.

January 13th, 2010 at 3:04 pm