Name Jon and/or Kate’s New TV Show

I’ve never seen it, but The Learning Channel has a popular reality TV show called Jon & Kate Plus 8. It features the ups and downs of parenting the couple’s fraternal twins and sextuplets. Jon is apparently a full-time dad.

I’m not so out-of-the-loop that I didn’t see tabloid stories in the grocery store check-out aisle a few months ago about Jon being involved in an alleged extramarital affair. They denied the allegation, but now the confirmed news is that they are getting divorced.

Jon and Kate plan to keep filming the TV show in the same home, with each of them taking turns living there. Ohhh, sure, as if that’s going to last long. If they don’t put an end to the show, the viewers will.

This unfortunate matter made me ponder about the TV show’s poorly conceived title. Jon and Kate’s names are in the title, so they have to be in the show. What now?

Thankfully, the annuals of television history point to an answer. In 1986, Valerie Harper starred in a hit comedy called… Valerie. In the summer of 1987 she had a disagreement with the show’s producers and Valerie’s character soon died in a car accident. And thus the show was renamed The Hogan Family. They brought in Sandy Duncan as a motherly aunt figure and claimed an electrical fire burned the family home down — thus explaining why the family doesn’t display pictures of dearly departed mom. Damn, that’s cold.

So, anyhow, I was reading this news about Jon and Kate and began postulating aloud about what I would name a new TV show featuring the eight kids, but maybe not both parents.

My name: Eight is Enough (yeah, I know it’s taken)

My wife’s name: Kate is Enough

Damn, she’s good.

Do you have alternate names, or perspectives on the show? Tell me how much I’m missing as I live life uncabeled, clinging to my prized collection of Doctor Who DVDs.

Comments

20 Responses to “Name Jon and/or Kate’s New TV Show”

1. Christina says:

With eight kids I think they should just rename the show to

“AGH!”

June 23rd, 2009 at 3:38 am

2. Mocha Dad says:

My heart aches for this family. Watching a marriage dissolve on national television is a horrible feeling. Although their marriage seems to be over, I hope there is some small sliver of hope that will cause them to end the show and reconcile their relationship.

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:02 am

3. Blair says:

I think the show should be called
    “Why in the Hell is This Show Even on TV????”

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:27 am

4. adrienne says:

Jon or Kate +8 seems more appropriate in light og their plans to alternate residency.

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:38 am

5. Shannon says:

I too have renamed it Jon OR Kate Plus 8.
    I watch it because I love the kids.

June 23rd, 2009 at 6:57 am

6. Lindsey says:

Maybe the title of the show should take the focus off the kids (as the show has seemed to do lately). Maybe something along the lines of ” Jon and Kate get paid to do another advertisement” or “Jon and Kate go on yet another vacation that every other parent of 8 kids would never be able to afford if they didn’t have some lame reality show”

I don’t know…they might be a little long.

June 23rd, 2009 at 7:00 am

7. Marketing Mommy says:

Jon & Kate + Hate

June 23rd, 2009 at 8:25 am

8. nrbp says:

So it won’t be episodes of Kate + Eight on weeknights and Jon + Eight every other weekend then?

June 23rd, 2009 at 8:48 am

9. Stephanie says:

The Bachelorette: Shameless Edition

June 23rd, 2009 at 8:52 am

10. Sandy says:

Kate Plus Eight, Trying To Find A Date

June 23rd, 2009 at 9:00 am

11. Sara says:

I agree with Mocha Dad and Lindsey. My hubby came up with the same title as Marketing Mommy last night. I watched the show a few years ago when it was really just about the crazy days the parents had doing normal things with all the little kids. Then it got weird when the family got famous and the show seemed to be about all the product tie-ins and cross programming promotions. And now I am really really sad for the whole family.

June 23rd, 2009 at 9:17 am

12. Rebekah says:

I like Jon, Kate, Eight & Alternating Weekends

June 23rd, 2009 at 9:39 am

13. Allison says:

Next on:

Jon and Kate Litigate: Who will get to keep the eight?

Really all I can think is I feel sorry for the kids, but then again I felt sorry for them just being on an ongoing reality TV show for most of their young lives.

June 23rd, 2009 at 10:11 am

For now, the show has gone on hiatus:

June 23rd, 2009 at 10:34 am

15. Christy says:

We’ve been calling it “Jon Hates Kate Plus Eight”. Though judging from court papers filed yesterday, it appears “Kate Hates Jon” might be more appropriate.

June 23rd, 2009 at 6:53 pm

16. gertie says:

You’re better off watching Dr. Who. Jon & Kate is a show full of angry, angry people. Even the kids seem angry half the time.

June 24th, 2009 at 10:40 am

17. Dallas says:

Jon and Kate Separate.

I think those kids are exploited, I think their parents have some issues best explored by intensive counseling, and I PRAY those children have some family involved in their lives, and counseling also.

I have not watched since about the second season, as I could not stomach Kate hitting and berating Jon, sick kids sleeping on the laundry room floor, baths and toilet training being filmed, and the general unease I felt that permeated their marriage.

I just feel for those children, who had no say so in the filming and broadcasting of their lives.

I only have the first season of Dr Who on DVD. You’re a lucky lucky man! ;-)

June 24th, 2009 at 11:12 am

18. Dallas says:

Oh, and I meant to type it this way:

Jon and Kate Separ8.

June 24th, 2009 at 11:13 am

19. adrienne says:

Similarly Jon & Kate + H8 works well too.

June 29th, 2009 at 9:49 pm