Fame or Shame Game #15: Bottle Bibs

Photo of a bottle bib on a bottle and also a baby nursing from a bottle that has a bib on it.

“The Scrunch Bottle Bib is the new revolutionary way to protect infants from spillage during bottle feeding. Catching the drips and spills that traditional bibs leave behind, the Scrunch Bottle Bib attaches to the bottle instead of the infant and catches spills BEFORE they reach the tender neck area.”

That’s right. The Scrunch Bottle Bib by Wee Baby was invented by “a proud aunt of four.” Auntie had to hold a paper towel to her nieces’ tender neck areas to clean up milk spillage, until one day she realized… there has to be another way!

The bib attaches to a bottle with a Velcro strap and it cradles the baby’s chin underneath the nipple. The bib is cotton, one-size-fits-all, machine washable and flips over for more usage. It retails for $8 and you can use the “FTPR616″ coupon code for 10% off your order until August 1, 2009.

Now, I’m no rocket scientist, and I don’t know if a rocket scientist could help us here, but… isn’t milk spillage due to simple factors such as… using a nipple with a too-fast flow rate, feeding a distracted or full baby, and maybe plain ol’ operator error?

And isn’t the best spillage solution to monitor the situation and pull back the bottle when trouble begins?

And wouldn’t the presence of the Velcro strap obscure some portion of the baby’s mouth, slowing your response time?

And if a mother had invented this instead of an aunt, would we be critiquing a breast bib right now? Oh, that would be fun.

I can’t tell you how excited I just got in googling for “breast bib” and found the Aussie Booby Bib, but alas it’s just an absorbent pajama top. And there are all manner of ‘nursing bibs,’ but none of them look anything like a fabric beard cradling an engorged boob.

I remind myself… give them time… some plucky young mother will invent one yet. Patience. Patience.

Photo of a bottle bib with various features diagrammed.

Oh, okay, back on topic… Tell us dear Thinga-readers, is the bottle bib inventor destined for fame or shame… and why? Begin your comment with “Fame because…” or “Shame because…”

Comments

9 Responses to “Fame or Shame Game #15: Bottle Bibs”

1. Molly says:

Shame because… there is no way that thing would fit around my boob! LOL

June 24th, 2009 at 5:47 am

2. Lucy says:

Fame because…. Once we traded our BPA bottles to the glass Born Free ones, we noticed that they would occasionally leak even after checking everything was screwed in correctly. Also, my son has always been underweight so we had to give him Pediasure or Kid Boost 1.5 and both are really thick and sticky. I am not sure if I would buy one though. Seems a pain to wash. Seems like wrapping his burp cloth around the bottle would also suffice.

June 24th, 2009 at 5:48 am

3. F. says:

Fame for several reasons. First, baby products needed an equivalant of the ‘Snuggie’, ‘Tiddy Bear’ and ‘Comfort Wipe’ on Youtube. Second, previously advertisers were missing the purchasing power of people who do not know what to buy the mother who has already had her 28 page Babies R Us registry purchased two times over.
    Third, the reasoning on the webpage in the testimonials sections cracks me up. There are four from MDs and it makes it sound like the choice is to buy this product OR have a kid who stinks like sour milk and wears a permanent ‘milk rash’ badge of parental neglect around his or her neck.

June 24th, 2009 at 6:34 am

4. Mary A. says:

I would have bought this or tried to figure out how to make it myself with my bottle fed first born. I don’t think you can always avoid milk spillage- bottle or breast. I have trashed plenty of onesies that prove this!

Funny, I was reading and thinking-when is he going to mention creating a breast version?

June 24th, 2009 at 9:42 am

5. KGS says:

Shame at my house, because post-feeding spit-up dribbling down chins and into those scrunchy neck folds was a much bigger contributor to the stinky-neck problem than drips of milk/formula with my daughter. We had to clean her neck a lot no matter what, so I’d rather have one less item to wash.

June 24th, 2009 at 11:08 am

6. Kathleen says:

Booby bib….tuck burpcloth into bra under boob. Catches leaks at no extra cost! VOILA…Booby bib!

Fame for this (though could be made for less)
    Leaky bottles = soiled onesies
    Mommy who forgets to shout out stains= ruined onesie :(

June 24th, 2009 at 11:47 am

7. Jennifer says:

Fame because, well, no matter how diligent you are with bottles, sometimes there just is the need. I probably wouldn’t buy one, but I’m guessing a baby shower gift would be perfect for this item.

June 25th, 2009 at 8:42 am

8. Ari says:

Absolute shame because um… what if the bottle ROTATES??? hmm. you end up with the ‘soft, plush, absorbent fabric’ covering baby’s NOSE instead.
    BAD IDEA, would you not think???

$8 for something that is made up of 10cents worth of velcro and 15 cents worth of ‘absorbent fabric’? oh heckno.

As for people who want to give this as a shower gift, this one goes in the same category as that ‘pee shield’ that we got.
    Still in its original packaging..
    Which reminds me… i better get on that ebay…

June 28th, 2009 at 7:30 pm

9. Matt says:

I would absolutely buy this product if my second kid is anything like the first. He was never good with the bottle after we had an impossible time getting him to latch, and we had to hold a burp cloth under his chin for every single feeding, and milk still found its way to the neck area, which was really gross.

I think I can manage to not let the bottle turn and strangle my baby while I’m holding it. And yeah, 8 bucks is worth the hour it would take me to make something like this.

July 1st, 2009 at 3:13 pm