Baby Gender I.D. Multiple Choice Test

You want to know the gender of your unborn child, so you:

A) Get an 20-week ultrasound when medically appropriate.

B) Get a totally unnecessary mall 4-D luxury ultrasound.

C) Five weeks after conception, buy a $25 home kit that involves mailing away a blood sample to be processed for $250. [correct]

Upon learning your baby’s gender from a home kit, you:

A) Pick your baby’s name and start calling him by his name while speaking to your belly.

B) Bond on a deeper level with your baby’s and its genitals.

C) Buy your nursery gear and baby clothes totally decked out in a stereotypical fashion for your expected gender.

D) All of the above. [correct]

Your home gender ID kit incorrectly identifies the gender of your baby. You:

A) Blow it off as an over-anxious parenting expense knowing you should have waited for your ultrasound.

B) Seek the kit’s money-back refund.

C) Seek the kit’s refund and gang up with other moms to sue the kit maker. [correct]

In the aftermath of the family upheaval caused by the gender mix-up, you:

A) Get disappointed.

B) Feel like your mind has been messed with.

C) End your marriage, in part because your husband wanted a boy very badly.

D) All of the above. [correct]

I really couldn’t read this New York Daily News story without laughing: Baby Gender Mentor kit doesn’t work, say misled moms suing maker.

Geeze people. Wait for the ultrasound. Know what? Even an ultrasound tech can be wrong. Don’t sweat it. If your hubby is going to divorce you in part because his own sperm caused his baby to be a gender he doesn’t like, hey lady, this guy wasn’t worth his sperm anyway.

If you’re not receiving a promised refund, by all means, sue if you have the luxury of putting yourself through that trouble, but only seek the refund and your legal fees. If you have broader evidence the kit doesn’t work, make that case. Don’t give us a sob story about your marriage.

But that’s just my pessimistic opinion. What do you think?

Comments

10 Responses to “Baby Gender I.D. Multiple Choice Test”

1. Allison says:

I really don’t know if that makes me want to laugh or cry.

June 18th, 2009 at 8:04 am

We were told ALL the time on my pregnancy boards not to do this. They aren’t right more than 50% of the time and are a HUGE waste of money!

June 18th, 2009 at 8:06 am

3. Sara says:

We waited until our babies were born. The fun of hearing “it’s a boy” and “it’s a girl” from all the delivery room crew at birth was worth the wait. What a hassle and expense for something a little patience could tell you…who has that kind of money laying around anyway? Not anyone that i know.

June 18th, 2009 at 8:47 am

4. leslie says:

“Bond on a deeper level with your baby’s and its genitals.”

That really cracked me up.

With our first child we found out the gender at around 26 weeks (boy) via ultrasound. In retrospect, I think the reason I wanted to know the gender had more to do with calming my nerves than decorating the nursery. There were complications during that pregnancy, half of the time the doctor’s didn’t know what was going on and I just really needed some bit of factual info to cling to amongst all the uncertainty.

Knowing the gender amidst all of the unknown medical issues really calmed my nerves. (I know now that ultrasound techs can make mistakes, but I didn’t really know that then.)

With our second, we decided not to find out the gender. There were complications with the second pregnancy as well but this time around, the complications reinforced the idea that the gender didn’t matter; only the baby’s health mattered.

The delivery room doctor and nurses were so excited to hear that we didn’t know the gender…l guess that doesn’t happen much these days.

June 18th, 2009 at 9:43 am

5. adrienne says:

*blink*
    *blink*

Awful.

If there was a truly definitive blood test wouldn’t most OB’s offer it?

We did not want to know until the delivery. The doctor held up the baby for my husband to see. Jim then introduced me to our children by name. Those moments were very sweet and full of surprises.

June 18th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

6. Andrew says:

we waited until 20 weeks to find out the sex of our child through the ultrasound. however, the technician spent 15 minutes trying to uncover the sex to no avail. my girlfriend was so disappointed that we decided to opt for the 3d ultrasound yet they STILL weren’t able to tell!

it turned out to be a boy (male).

June 18th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

7. Shannon says:

Ultrasound techs in Vancouver, BC aren’t allowed to say anything about the gender because someone sued the hospital after being given the incorrect gender.
    We opted not to find out until our baby was born. We had one friend who could not understand this decision and at least once a month she would ask if we had found out yet. Once when I said “We aren’t going to find out.” She said “EVER?!?!” like it was the worst thing in the world. I said, “No. We are going to have the midwife slap a diaper on really quickly and not tell us, and then we’ll just close our eyes when we change the diapers. I figure, when the kid is old enough, it can decide for itself.” and she said, “Really?” Sadly, that wasn’t the last time she asked.

June 18th, 2009 at 2:32 pm

8. Maria says:

Ditto what the pp said about these tests being wrong almost 1/2 the time, imagine that! We had a couple polls on our pregnancy site with over 40 women who had done the tests responding. I think it came out just under 60% accurate with those who took the poll. Waste of money!

June 21st, 2009 at 10:52 pm

9. KGS says:

That is REALLY silly… Do these people sue and divorce their spouses every time *anything* unexpected happens to them?

We found out our daughter’s sex at the 20-week ultrasound, figuring it would be just as fun a surprise then as at birth. We picked a backup boy name just in case the ultrasound view was wrong, though– ours turned out to be right, but we’ve known enough people whose ultrasounds were misleading to not to count on it 100%.

June 22nd, 2009 at 10:40 am

10. Dallas says:

Shannon, that is hilarious.

We found out in the ultrasound, just because we were curious, and wanted to “try out” different names. We still had a name for either gender ready, but the ultrasound was right.

June 22nd, 2009 at 10:49 am