Fame or Shame Game #14: Sick Baby Pajamas

Photo of baby pajamas with one side blue and the other side white.Babyglow is the brainchild of a father of a 17-year-old son. A groundbreaking parenting product idea came to him one morning as he woke up on a couch following a party the previous night. He knew in his heart of hearts he would design Babyglow.

I’m not kidding. That’s the version of events described in the Suffolk Free Press. Meanwhile, the Daily Mail reports he got the idea from watching a TV documentary. Maybe he didn’t get off the couch that morning.

Babyglow are baby pajamas that change color based on the infant’s body temperature. Sold in blue, pink or green, the suit turns white when it rises above 98F (37C). They’re expected to sell for £20 ($33) per pack. How many in a pack? Photos indicate two garments, but who really knows.

When I first heard “color changing pajamas” I thought it would be nice to have a garment that indicates when an infant is overheated at night due to over-dressing… you know, in case you don’t notice the sweaty palms, moist hair and hot skin. So it was a bummer to realize the garment is targeted at feverish tots.

Photo of the Babyglow inventor posing with product packaging and a baby wearing pink pajamas.Forget for a moment that during the day you’re probably not dressing your baby in pajamas and thus leaving your infant unknowingly exposed to evil fevers.

Also forget for that a color change is difficult to impossible to notice at night unless you turn on a light and wake your baby. Despite the word “glow” in the product name, I’ve seen no documentation to indicate the suit glows in the dark.

Also forget that there are many non-invasive thermometers on the market that nervous new parents can use to check and recheck their babies every 5 minutes.

Also forget that the garment’s temperature might rise (I presume) when exposed to sunlight, leaving you to use a thermometer every time you suspect your little guy is sick around the house or in the car.

Is this product the hottest thing since sliced bread was liquefied and sold in baby food jars? Okay, no one is liquefying sliced bread, but you know what I mean.

Please tell us dear Thinga-readers, is this inventor destined for fame or shame… and why? Begin your comment with “Fame because…” or “Shame because…” or maybe “Forget…”

[Link idea via Thinga-reader Bob.]

Comments

12 Responses to “Fame or Shame Game #14: Sick Baby Pajamas”

1. Jeanne says:

Oh shame. Not only is it ridiculous for all the reasons you describe, but you can TOUCH your child to see if they are warm.

June 19th, 2009 at 3:08 am

2. Sara says:

Shame: too expensive, technology seems to sketchy to work well, plus a child should not be able to outgrow a thermometer. These remind me of the hypercolor t-shirts that were popular for a while when I was in junior high. They were a horrible idea.

June 19th, 2009 at 7:03 am

3. Maggie says:

Shame for sure for all the reasons you mention. And like Jeanne said, if you want to know if your baby is hot, well, touch him. You have less chance of waking him up with a touch than you do with turning on a bright light to see if his jammies have turned white. Also, I think it is pretty common knowledge that with little ones, the docs don’t technically consider it a fever unless it is over 100.4° His sweet baby model also looks sort of stunned. She may not like her new pj’s. Just my two cents.

June 19th, 2009 at 7:49 am

4. Ari says:

Shame shame, because as it IS, taking a baby’s temperature accurately in the early months is important to check for a *real* fever, and this garment does nothing (really) to measure core body temperature…. maybe the room is warm? maybe baby is uncomfortable? both things that can be assessed without the use of a onesie that costs $33 (gasp!)

As we used to say: Shame shame, I know your name. and that name is the Babyglow Onesie.

June 19th, 2009 at 9:00 am

Shame. The only way I can see this making sense at all was if ALL your kids clothes were Babyglow (at least the inventor knew enough not to open himself up to Lawsuit by Gerber by calling it the Babyglow Onesie). Otherwise — a thermometer is more generally useful.

And its really expensive and I’d be worried about both chemicals and how accurate it was.

June 19th, 2009 at 9:43 am

6. Allison says:

Hypercolor PJ’s?! Rock on! Though mine stopped working after too many trips through the washer/dryer.

I vote shame, mostly cause I don’t think it would work reliably and if it did it wouldn’t be all that useful.

As a new parent I was concerned about how I would know if my son had a fever so I might have bought this. Now I see that I was kind of worrying over nothing and now if I suspect a fever I just grab the thermometer.

June 19th, 2009 at 11:15 am

7. Jen says:

Definitely shame. While the idea of color-changing clothes seems kind of cool, this seems to me like one more step down the “but expensive stuff that you need to replace every 1-4 months” road, not too mention the “extreme over-reaction/ worry-inducing product” road. As was already mentioned, your baby won’t outgrow a good thermometer. Not to mention all of the possible outside influences on the garment’s temp. What if only part of the sleeper turned white? Does that mean that your child only has a fever on the left/ top/ middle? What if your child was in a warm room? Or, on the reverse, what if the room was cool, and you assumed that because the sleeper was still pink that your child was fine when in reality the cool air was keeping the thing from changing color? I’m pretty sure your dr. would laugh at you if you called to tell him your child had a fever, and you knew because her sleeper changed color, and berate you if you said you didn’t check the temp by touch or thermometer because the sleeper hadn’t.

June 19th, 2009 at 7:57 pm

8. Amber says:

Fame for hypercolor babywear, Shame for trouble-spotting device.

I would buy this for the cool-factor, not for the is-he-too-hot factor.

;)

June 20th, 2009 at 8:33 am

9. anjii says:

What Amber said….

Also, at Walmart (at least here in Canada) there are 3 packs of onesies that do the same thing for much cheaper. Sorry, don’t remember the brand (I don’t have them). I’ll check next time I’m there.

June 20th, 2009 at 10:38 pm

10. F. says:

Fame because it is hilarious. To me, this is clearly a novelty item/cocktail party story/funny baby shower gift, not something to stock in your first aid kit. In fairness to the inventor it is called “Baby Glow” not “Safe Baby Therm-body-scanner.” If it provided any benefit beyond entertainment that would just be a bonus. Otherwise, it like a mood ring.

June 21st, 2009 at 7:34 pm

11. Dallas says:

Shame. ‘Cause it’s just plain silly.

(Ummm, I think liquid bread is called “beer” in some places.)

June 22nd, 2009 at 10:46 am

Greg at DaddyTypes has posted the definitive “Shame,” going so far as to say… “[The inventor]‘s a bullshit artist with who has managed to make the credibility of several hundred media outlets momentarily vanish before our eyes.”

June 23rd, 2009 at 11:44 am