Fame or Shame Game #13: Warm Milk for Hipsters

The Iiamo feeding bottle is a self-heating plastic baby bottle. The 180ml (6 ounce) bottle heats to 37 degrees Celcius (98.6 Fahrenheit) in 4 minutes using a disposable base. It doesn’t contain BPA, PVC and the rest of the usual suspects. The bottle is compatible with Dr. Brown, Meda, Pigeon and Nuk nipples. Already sold in Denmark, the unit is expected to retail for £20 in the UK with replacement cartridges running about £13.

Those cartridges are supposedly powered by salt and water. Bonus points if you can explain the chemistry by posting a comment below.

Two photos of the self-heating baby bottle, one showing how the bottle disassembles into three parts, not including the lid and nipple.

Danish designer Karim Rashid crafted the bottle. Check him out with the inventors of the Iiamo in this publicity photo. No, seriously, check him out. Or the New York shots with graffiti or in the subway. If you are wondering whether you’re still on Earth, your baby is not hip enough for this bottle.

Here is some reaction according to the Daily Mail:

“If you’re a mum or dad who’s bottle feeding a baby and you’re out and about it’s a real nuisance to have to think about where you’re going to be able to do it. [...] It’s brilliant, it means you’re not shackled to the house anymore.” — Catherine Hanly, from parenting website raisingkids.co.uk

“What a great idea. It’s fantastic for airport delays, planes, car journeys and even camping in the middle of a field – something that’s becoming more and more popular.” –Karen Heath, from Practical Parenting and Pregnancy magazine.

Is a product that breaks the chains of parenting bondage, allowing your family to roam free in the middle of a field, really a good thing for society?

Please tell us dear Thinga-readers, are these inventors destined for fame or shame (in North America)… and why? Begin your comment with “Fame because…” or “Shame because…”

Comments

9 Responses to “Fame or Shame Game #13: Warm Milk for Hipsters”

1. Theryn says:

Hmm… Shame because of the goofy pictures.

I always had milk at the right temperature and never had to worry about finding water, heat sources or clean bottles. Seems like it’s a whole lot easier just to breastfeed. Even pumped milk can be left at room temp for 8 hours safely.

May 22nd, 2009 at 4:31 am

2. Ticia says:

Fame
    I have a friend whose daughter was not able to breastfeed because of a cleft palette. Her daughter also wanted warm bottles, which was usually okay because her Mom would pump breastmilk and then feed her the bottle. However that was not possible when she was out and about. So, this would have been a lifesaver for her.
    That being said, there’s not that many people who really need an item like this.

May 22nd, 2009 at 6:47 am

3. Jen says:

Oof, this is a toughie. First of all, the pic of the guy? Oy. Too hip for me, apparently :)

I had to stop nursing my daughter due to medical reasons, (weird, I know), and pregnancy and she’s a fickle little thing would still will not drink milk of any kind from a bottle unless it’s a few degrees above lukewarm.

High maintenance? Yes.. But when a full belly gets her to sleep at night, I’ll cater to her desires.

That being said, there were many times where it was a HUGE hassle to try to find somewhere to warm the bottle or warm water to make the formula. This would have come in handy.

I like that it’s cordless, too.

But ONLY if the temperature could be tweaked. I can’t imagine how it compensates for an 8 oz bottle vs. a 3 oz. bottle. Obviously, you can try to take off a smaller bottle before the time is up to heat to the proper temp, but that seems to be a hassle.

I don’t know… seems expensive and bulky and wasteful over all, even if it’s something I would possibly have used with my daughter.

I’d say shame for the wastefulness, expense, and lack of versatility in temps, but fame for the general idea.

May 22nd, 2009 at 6:59 am

4. Jen says:

Shame because I would never use this thing for fear of some sort of chemical reaction escaping and burning holes in my child. That and if Kale can’t handle room temperature beverages, he is not going to survive in this household because who said milk had to be warmed up anyway? I

May 22nd, 2009 at 12:01 pm

5. Tracy says:

Shame… because you are required to buy replacement cartridges, and because it looks unnecessarily complicated. I have seen similar products with reusable warmers (a small gel heating pad that can be boiled and reused) and I would prefer that.

May 22nd, 2009 at 3:26 pm

6. Christy says:

I’m not sure. I probably wouldn’t buy it, but it could be useful.

It’s a special kind of salt that produces an exothermic reaction when it meets the water. I’ve seen coffee drinks around these parts that have the same kind of “button” on the bottom of the can that you pop to heat the coffee.

May 23rd, 2009 at 4:15 pm

7. lindsey says:

Fame…

In North America, we’re suckers for anything and everything that even remotely resembles a baby convenience product. I suspect that once this hits the shelves, it will end up on every new parents’ baby registry. They will fly off Target shelves along with their overpriced replacement cartridges.

That said, I wouldn’t buy one.

May 23rd, 2009 at 10:42 pm

8. Liz BK says:

I’m with Theryn- the design of human breasts is perfect for conveniently feeding babies, on demand, at the right temperature, with zero waste. Yay boobies!

May 26th, 2009 at 8:04 am

9. Tifanie says:

Shame. The thermal reaction is from Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) and water.

Although it can be used in some food products, I can’t imagine using lye around a baby’s milk. It works on the same principles as MRE’s. The heat source fires up and transfers heat to the milk or food and dissipates.

June 14th, 2009 at 10:39 am