Documentary: Sophie Can Walk

Comments

8 Responses to “Documentary: Sophie Can Walk”

1. Christina says:

I love that you start off watching this thinking, “Oh no, what does she have?” Too funny.

May 28th, 2009 at 5:02 am

2. RobMonroe says:

I was geared up to be sad – but this is quite funny! Our daughter took her first steps ON her first birthday. :o)

May 28th, 2009 at 5:21 am

3. Stephanie says:

My daughter struggled like this too. It’s tragic. So tragic. But like Sophie, she is walking, and even running and jumping at the age of 2. We are so proud.

May 28th, 2009 at 8:22 am

4. Allison says:

I actually didn’t find that funny at all. Maybe my sense of humor is dulled this week because it has been a rough month for our family, but I can’t help thinking that families whose children have real medical conditions would feel some what mocked and hurt by this.

May 28th, 2009 at 8:29 am

Allison, I thought about that, and can’t say someone won’t be offended. But I make a distinction that if, in a magical world, no disabilities existed, this video would still be funny because it’s not mocking disabilities. It’s mocking parents who are preoccupied with their babies meeting and exceeding milestones.

May 28th, 2009 at 8:34 am

6. Allison says:

I do see how it could be funny and I was not offended by it. More it just made me uncomfortable and I cringed a little. Maybe it was the hospital references and the doctors and the wheelchair all hitting a little to close to home for me right now.

It actually didn’t occur to me that it was mocking parents who where preoccupied with their babies meeting and exceeding milestones. From that perspective it is a bit funny.

May 28th, 2009 at 8:45 am

7. LooneyJen says:

My babies are chronic underachievers, it seems. Perhaps we should see a specialist. Or 7.

May 28th, 2009 at 7:09 pm

8. Tanya says:

I think he should take some of his free time and shorten the cord on the blinds – a known hazard.

June 2nd, 2009 at 10:01 am