Fame or Shame Game #12: Belly Measuring Tape Keepsake

Moms have their various little pregnancy keepsakes… belly casts, belly photos, framed ultrasound prints, daily journals, bronzed Ben & Jerry’s carton tops, and, uh, maybe that’s it.

But wait, there’s more! Behold The Mommy Measure

A collage photo showing the Mommy Measure belly belt, its packaging and a photo of a pregnant belly being measured by it.

The Mommy Measure is a growth chart for your pregnant belly. The 72-inch vinyl tape has two scales — for tracking your circumference and your fundal height (the distance between the top of the pubic bone and top of the uterus).

The tape is wide enough for you to briefly write down milestones…

“20 WEEKS: Learned you have a penis!

25 WEEKS: Finally crushed Dad’s hopes of naming you Flynn.

30 WEEKS: Puked in the car again today.”

You know, record all of those treasured moments you want to share with your child years from now.

Think of it as a journal for moms who aren’t motivated enough to maintain a journal.

An image from the company's website simulating milestones written on the belt, such as: 12 weeks heard heartbeat 160 beats per minute, 16 weeks starting to kick at night, 20 weeks found out today it's a boy and 25 weeks painted the nursery and purchased a crib.

The belt comes in blue, pink or green (for frog people) and retails for $15.

Please tell us dear Thinga-readers, is this inventor destined for fame or shame… and why?  Begin your comment with “Fame because…” or “Shame because…”

Comments

12 Responses to “Fame or Shame Game #12: Belly Measuring Tape Keepsake”

1. Jene says:

Shame because I have no desire to own a permanent reminder of how huge my belly was.

May 19th, 2009 at 4:46 am

2. Ticia says:

Fame because it actually seems like a fairly cute idea. Now, I’ll tell you I probably wouldn’t have used it because I don’t remember to fill out things like that (why else would I have a mostly empty fill in the blank baby book). However, I know a couple of people who would like that.
    I certainly think it’s better than a belly cast.

May 19th, 2009 at 5:55 am

3. Mary says:

Shame because..

If you want to start using it right away – how do you know which color to get (that is, if you’re getting a color based on the gender of your child)? Most women don’t know the gender until after twenty weeks and, some don’t find out until the end. And even if you decide to use whatever color suits your fancy, why make only pink, blue, and green available? Why not white?

While the idea is cute, honestly what better way to capture your growing belly than with pictures. If a child were to look back at these things, a picture would mean more to him or her. “See mommy’s belly? That was you inside there before you were born” has more of an impact than seeing how big around the tape is.

Also, if I am not good at keeping up a journal, I probably won’t be good at keeping something like this current.

I honestly like focusing more on the baby (as far as keepsakes are concerned) than my growing belly. Pictures (of my belly and ultrasounds) are enough to satisfy my need to remember this special time.
    I also don’t want a reminder of how big around I was. Post children, I’ve definitely gained some weight and I really don’t want to know if I’ve reached any of my circumferences during pregnancy.

May 19th, 2009 at 6:41 am

4. Tiffany says:

Shame
    Seriously, who REALLY wants to remember how big around you were! Are you kidding?! Forget it- hall of shame, definitely. Fundal height??? Got to be kidding on that one- definitely in the who needs to know category. And I agree with the other posters about pink and blue- though I guess that’s where the green frog people come in.

May 19th, 2009 at 7:49 am

5. JMo says:

Shame … I’m 31 weeks pregnant right now and the last thing I want to do is measure my belly. It’s bad enough stepping on the scale once a month at the Dr office.

No thanks.

May 19th, 2009 at 8:59 am

6. anjii says:

I would’ve LOVED this, and I will get one, if hubby ever gets on board for number 3 :) But yeah, I’ll be going with the green one, ’cause I’ll want to use it from the beginning, not from 20+ weeks.

May 19th, 2009 at 9:06 am

7. Allison says:

Fame because it is kind of cute and I can’t really think of anything shameful about it. I my be bias though, I keep a daily journal, took monthly pictures of my pregnant belly, loved the fact that I was HUGE when pregnant and did a belly cast so I guess I am their target consumer!

May 19th, 2009 at 9:26 am

8. adrienne says:

Shame. For pregnancies after the first one, I’d be progressively writing things like “That’s going to take a while to work off,” “Goodbye favorite jeans,” “At least I never liked bikinis,” “Maternity pants no longer stay up,” “Maternity pants + suspenders = clown pants,” and “Just burn everything in your closet, honey.”

While I enjoy pregnancy, I do not need reminders of my waistline. Photos of fabulous hair & glowing skin, yes. The Mommy Measure is like commemorating future stretchmarks.

May 19th, 2009 at 7:33 pm

9. LooneyJen says:

It’s cute, and especially for those first time mothers who aren’t yet jaded by how enormously huge they become, and instead are enchanted by each inch.

I’d say fame for sure, but I agree that the color choices are stupid. Green or white, please!

May 20th, 2009 at 11:39 am

Fame, because every mom remembers their pregnancy differently and some (like those who make belly casts) rejoice in their embiggening.

May 20th, 2009 at 8:40 pm

11. Amber says:

Fame!

I hate belly shots–because I always looked like hell. First it was morning sickness and then it was lack of energy and then it was lack of sleep. As a result I took very few.

I would get it and I would fill it out and I would love it.

May 20th, 2009 at 9:01 pm

12. Tammy says:

FAME!
    Be PROUD of that tummy – it’s your precious baby!

February 3rd, 2011 at 7:08 am