Fame or Shame Game #11: Boy Potty Shield

Normally I select amusingly ridiculous products for Fame or Shame hoping you’ll write amusingly ridiculous comments (and am aghast when you quite seriously declare “Fame!”), but this time I’m open for debate.

Three photos of Flippee the Toilet Shield installed on a toilet.

Flippee the Toilet Shield is a curved piece of plastic that you lift up to cover the area above the toilet bowl for pistol-packing boys, and then lift down so non-boys can use the toilet. Or, in the inventor’s own words:

“Flippee The Toilet Shield is an innovative product that keeps your bathroom cleaner and makes potty training boys easier! Flippee protects the bathroom from accidents by creating a barrier to the toilet, floor and walls. It easily attaches to the toilet with suction cups and stores discreetly around the base.”

It is billed as a universal fit for all toilets (or at least the 20 toilets they tested it on).

When Johnny misfires, leaving urine coating the Flippee, and he later rotates the shield down into storage position, there is a “drip lip” to catch excess urine that may slowly snake down the shield. Flippee retails for $20.

I’m wondering a couple things…

Over time, doesn’t the shield become a rather icky thing to clean, coated with dried urine, especially in the drip lip? Or is the alternative worse?

Won’t it be easier for me to potty train my boy by always having him sit down? Why would I tell a toddler to perform a precision maneuver requiring dexterity and aim when I can just tell him to sit down, push his pistol down and unload?

Whether you’ve had a boy go through pistol potty training, or are just theorizing, please tell us dear Thinga-readers, is this inventor destined for fame or shame and why? Begin your comment with “Fame becauseā€¦” or “Shame becauseā€¦”

Update: Comments have been turned off on this post. The number of comments submitted to this article was unusually high, with more than half of them from first-time contributors. All of the first-timers weighed in with a “fame” (positive) perspective. Some digging through my traffic log revealed that 9 of the famers came to Thingamababy from a link posted at a moms-who-own-businesses website. Yes ladies, your web browser reports this type of information to every website you visit. The web browsers of only 3 famers didn’t report their origin (either intentionally or because of a default setting on some firewall/security type software they may be using). I can’t blame ‘em; I usually withhold this information myself while browsing.

In any case, the comments posted below are only from Thinga-readers who have contributed to Thingamababy prior to this article being published (e.g., they are regular readers). But for disclosure’s sake, 12 “fame” posts went to auto-moderation because they were auto-pegged as being from first-time contributors, and their opinions are not shown below. Consider this post to be exclusively about what some of my long-time readers think. If you’re a long-time contributor who reads once-a-week, sorry you missed out on your chance to weigh-in.

For the record, I’m not all that harsh on the Flippee. If I was going to train my boy to pee standing up, instead of waiting until he’s much older, I’d probably buy it.

Comments

10 Responses to “Fame or Shame Game #11: Boy Potty Shield”

1. Lily says:

Shame because it’s just another thing that doesn’t get put down before the next person has to sit. Besides, let’s not pretend that you guys ever learn how to aim anyhow.

May 14th, 2009 at 9:47 am

2. Sara says:

I say shame…b/c no matter what, potty training is messy, so why buy something else to clean? Don’t underestimate the dexterity required for a boy to pee sitting down, either. We have cleaned PLENTY of mess from our son, who often overshoots the potty or shoots between the seat and the base of the potty while he his sitting down. It’s just tricky to figure it all out, no matter what. We just keep the disinfecting wipes handy.

May 14th, 2009 at 9:50 am

3. Angelique says:

My hubby has my son sit to pee too, it’s cleaner and easier. Actually, (he’ll kill me if he reads this) my dear husband himself sits to pee. This all goes back to his military barracks days when he was required to keep his toilet spotless. He decided it was easier to sit and pee than clean up pee spots from the toilets. He hates cleaning toilets, as do I. So I am fortunate in that my toilets, even with boys in the house, are relatively pee-free.

May 14th, 2009 at 9:55 am

4. Nancy says:

Shame, who needs yet another thing to clean? And it doesn’t look like it is removed for easy cleaning either.

Like Sara, we’ve had the problem of pee shooting between the seat and the bowl, which means the pee gets on his pants and makes the bottom of the seat even grosser than usual. At nearly 6 my son still sits to pee most of the time, he’ll stand occasionally but is usually too lazy and prefers to sit. Fine by me, easier to clean!

May 14th, 2009 at 12:43 pm

5. Christy B. says:

Shame. This would just be something else to paint a target on or get left up so when the wifey has to go pee in the middle of the night instead of falling in the toilet, she leans back against this nasty pee-covered backsplash. Yech!

May 14th, 2009 at 1:55 pm

6. Kara says:

Shame – It’s just one more surface that needs to be cleaned. My son sits to pee, I have no intention of encouraging him to do otherwise. I have a hard enough time getting him to flush, wash his hands, and turn off the light. I don’t need to add anymore steps to the process.

May 14th, 2009 at 2:11 pm

7. adrienne says:

Fame- it’s like a toilet costume party where the toilet wears a beard.

Then again, maybe it’s just another scuzzy piece of plastic that I’ll get the creeps if I ever have the misfortune to brush up against it.

May 14th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

8. Mary says:

Shame! Honestly, it would do more good in my house in the down/storage position. Here, the problem isn’t the back of the toilet but the front of the bowl. Little ones are SHORT. Standing on your tippy toes to pee is not easy, if you know what I mean.

I don’t think my 7 1/2 yr old stood to pee until at least 5, when he was finally tall enough to clear the bowl easily.

Finally, it looks ridiculous. Not that I care about that kind of stuff, my bathroom is a mess most of the time, but it makes your toilet look like something that belongs in a hospital.

May 14th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

9. Amy says:

I have a little girl, so I can’t say for sure, but when her best (boy) friend was over for a sleepover last week, I saw him start high-way above the bowl- then gradually work his way down to the right spot. So much pee everywhere! I can see the appeal, but what about the old idea of throwing something in the bowl to aim at?

Though, to adreinne’s comment, they should actually make it look like a beard. Then it would double as a conversation piece.

May 14th, 2009 at 9:37 pm

10. Amber says:

Hmm. If it also worked as a guard to keep the toilet seat from falling down, I might consider it.

Shame otherwise, though. I can’t even imagine what it would look like after a week. Sounds like something I’d end up having to toss rather than wanting to clean!

May 15th, 2009 at 3:50 pm