Friday, April 24th, 2009
The Celebrated Snot Bubble of Humboldt County
We grow our snot bubbles as big as our redwood trees in Humboldt County, Calif. Well, proportionally speaking, anyway. I’m not suggesting a 370-foot-tall snot bubble will be featured in Ghostbusters 3.
That’s a Nosefrida tube my wife is holding, using it to blow life into this bubble. The snot is courtesy of my 1-year-old son.
The neat thing is how difficult it was to sever the Nosefrida from the bubble… thick like rubber. And afterward, it wouldn’t pop. We eventually put it in our diaper pail and I presume the next thing we tossed inside popped it.
I’m thinking of this because I’m fairly sick at the moment. For those keeping score, my sense of taste is returning! Cheese has flavor once again. And I totally smell the unholy odor that our microwave gives off since I burned popcorn in it last week, you know, because I couldn’t smell the fine white vapor-like smoke that was neatly contained inside that furious burn chamber.
(It was dried corn still on the cob… You can microwave it to popping temperature if you are careful, but make sure your nose is working first.)
Someone should invent a microwave that lets you access the interior parts (where the fan is located) for cleaning. A dad makes one little mistake and the whole machine is shot, unless you can pawn it off on someone with anosmia.
This is the second microwave lost to popcorn, although the last one was regular microwave popcorn. Yes, it takes a special kind of stupid to burn microwave popcorn. I apparently set the time wrong before walking away. And no, I didn’t let it cook for the full 30 minutes.