The Celebrated Snot Bubble of Humboldt County

We grow our snot bubbles as big as our redwood trees in Humboldt County, Calif. Well, proportionally speaking, anyway. I’m not suggesting a 370-foot-tall snot bubble will be featured in Ghostbusters 3.

Photo of my wife holding a giant snot bubble in the palm of her hand connected to a Nosefrida tube.

That’s a Nosefrida tube my wife is holding, using it to blow life into this bubble. The snot is courtesy of my 1-year-old son.

Close-up photo of the Nosefrida tube being pulled away from the snot bubble, but the bubble is elongating as if it's a rubber band.

The neat thing is how difficult it was to sever the Nosefrida from the bubble… thick like rubber. And afterward, it wouldn’t pop. We eventually put it in our diaper pail and I presume the next thing we tossed inside popped it.

I’m thinking of this because I’m fairly sick at the moment. For those keeping score, my sense of taste is returning! Cheese has flavor once again. And I totally smell the unholy odor that our microwave gives off since I burned popcorn in it last week, you know, because I couldn’t smell the fine white vapor-like smoke that was neatly contained inside that furious burn chamber.

(It was dried corn still on the cob… You can microwave it to popping temperature if you are careful, but make sure your nose is working first.)

Someone should invent a microwave that lets you access the interior parts (where the fan is located) for cleaning. A dad makes one little mistake and the whole machine is shot, unless you can pawn it off on someone with anosmia.

This is the second microwave lost to popcorn, although the last one was regular microwave popcorn. Yes, it takes a special kind of stupid to burn microwave popcorn. I apparently set the time wrong before walking away. And no, I didn’t let it cook for the full 30 minutes.

Whimper.

Comments

9 Responses to “The Celebrated Snot Bubble of Humboldt County”

1. Christy says:

That is perhaps one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen! (Yet I find it intriguing. What does that say about me?!)

April 24th, 2009 at 10:53 am

2. Patti says:

Cannot. Look. Away.

April 24th, 2009 at 11:11 am

3. Spookygirl says:

Have you tried microwaving a small bowl of water and lemon juice to try to neutralize the odor? ;)

April 24th, 2009 at 11:22 am

4. Stephanie says:

The title of this blog entry would be a fantastic children’s story. Gross, but fantastic.

April 24th, 2009 at 12:26 pm

5. Dallas says:

I know you are so very proud. I would be, that joker is AMAZING.

April 24th, 2009 at 1:05 pm

6. Ari says:

Ah, now i ???? share with you this item from japan:

it is called ‘hanamizu totte’-which literally means ‘please remove my nose water/aka snot’ – mommy (or daddy’s) mouth ‘sucks’ on the cylindrical portion, and the teardrop shaped area goes in the baby’s nose. the clear holding ‘chamber’ suspends the snot in question.
    I have had some success with it, but I dare not use it near friends since they find it gross.

April 25th, 2009 at 8:41 am

7. Jen says:

OH MY WORD. It’s like a train wreck.

April 25th, 2009 at 11:53 am

8. Amber says:

ewwww! lol

My son has only once been sick enough to need such a thing, and in that instance he wouldn’t let me near his nose with anything (even a tissue).

But seriously? I couldn’t even FOCUS on the rest of the post’s contents because of those pictures.

I think you mentioned smoking corn on the cob, or something. ~blank look~ ….Man. Snot bubble.

April 26th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

9. Kidlet says:

Horrible and remarkable at the same time. Kudos to your child.

May 4th, 2009 at 9:17 pm