Koveaz: Disposable Child Car Seat Covers

How often do you wash your child’s car seat cover because of puke or food spills? My daughter? Once in almost five years. My son? Once in 12 months.

Well, it seems a grandmother somewhere was dismayed at the stains on her daughter’s car seat covers and decided she’d wash them.

No, wait, sorry. She thought she’d invent disposable car seat covers!

Photo of a baby sitting in a child safety car seat with a camouflage seat cover.

Koveaz: universally-sized disposable seat covers made with a super-absorbent pad and breathable polypropylene fabric.

I have a few problems.

First, what’s with a camouflage seat cover? Is baby on a special ops mission? Okay, to be fair, the company’s web store sells the cover in blue, green, purple or yellow… just not camouflage apparently?!? Nice photo though.

Second, the covers are treated with fire retardant. I wouldn’t want such chemicals near my kids. Granted, the seat probably already has flame retardant on it straight from the manufacturer. So sell me a non-treated cover to protect my kids from the manufacturer’s seat fabric.

Spare me the fire-in-a-car-accident stories. Exposing all kids to these chemicals to prepare for rare incidents (vehicle fires) just doesn’t cut it in my book.

Third, even if my kid was a chronic puker or I did something unwise such as feed my kids something other than a dry food while in the car… I’d just wash the cover.

If I was really worried, I’d buy a second permanent cover and have it ready to slap on in an emergency. I bought a car seat with an easy-to-remove cover, right? Good.

Why am I bothered? Because disposable anything is wasteful, and when there are long-term solutions they should be used.

Remember, even if you have a throw-away cover that you send to a landfill, that puke is probably also on the seat belt harness and webbing — stuff you can’t throw out and will be sponging over anyway.

As for dry food spills, buy a car vacuum and suck that stuff out every once in a while. Problem solved.

The one application I could support Koveaz for is a rented child seat in a rental car.

As with every product I dislike, you’re free to tell me how so very wrong I am. Better yet, buy some at $8.59 each, photograph your kid in the seat holding a “Thingamababy sucks!” sign and e-mail it to me. I’ll post it!

On the plus side, I’m not totally without heart. Grandma took the Koveaz idea and made disposable wheelchair covers, which I suppose has beneficial applications. I’ll pass on her party covers for dinner chairs though.

Comments

12 Responses to “Koveaz: Disposable Child Car Seat Covers”

1. Kara says:

Totally with you on this one AJ, it’s ridiculous and any carseat safety tech will tell you, you are never ever suppose to use a “third party” accessory on your carseat because it changes the way it will perform in a crash. If you want a new cover buy one from the manufacturer of your seat.

April 7th, 2009 at 6:00 am

2. Amanda says:

Kara hit it – don’t put extra things on your seat that didn’t come from the manufacturer. I’m a big fan of having an extra cover around for just those kinds of things, but honestly I’ve been lucky and in 2.5 years, DS has never “needed” it. Still handy for regular cleaning to swap the cover while the other one dries.

And we don’t need more disposable products!!

April 7th, 2009 at 6:49 am

3. Jenni says:

I once nannied for a family that I bet would have me go out and buy these…total germaphobe. I was washing the car seat covers weekly (one child, three car seat…one for each car); so, unfortunatly there is a market for them.

But, I’m with you. Rediculous. Although, I do like the idea of them available to car rental places. Maybe she should marked to them. THAT may bring in some good money for her.

April 7th, 2009 at 8:26 am

4. Stephanie says:

As the parent of a chronic puker… I understand the idea, but I wouldn’t buy into it.

We did wash our seat cover but it didn’t fit quite the same way ever again. We ended up buying a new one from the manufacturer. Maybe the manufacturers should just make sure their product is washable and doesn’t shrink like ours did.

April 7th, 2009 at 10:00 am

5. jojojo says:

I also understand the idea – especially for a car trip where it would be hard to immediately clean the seat. My sympathies derive from the fact that we have a carseat that is a major pain to clean. 8 screws must be unscrewed to remove the cover, and even then I still need to use some sort of utensil to clean out the nooks and crannies where the belts are connected. Seems like the nook and cranny issue wouldn’t be solved by an additional cover, though.

April 7th, 2009 at 10:42 am

6. KGS says:

We have a very thin rubbery mat thing that fits under my daughter’s bottom in her seat (kind of like having an extra seat to her pants); at one time we needed to wash that fairly often (diaper blowouts), but we’ve only needed to wash the whole cover once or twice a year at most. My experience with vomit is that lots ends up on the baby and the straps but not so much on the rest of the seat, but maybe I’ve just been lucky! A disposable cover seems like overkill to me, too.

April 7th, 2009 at 11:28 am

7. sunny says:

DS#3 has pretty bad reflux and at 2 months old, we’ve had to wash the cover 3 times already. Sigh. I would love an easily removable cover to go over the original so it could be washed (like KGS mentioned and prefereable) or tossed if not washable (sorry!). I am hoping he outgrows this soon, but right now, I would consider a “topper” cover for our infant seat.

April 7th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

8. Angelique says:

I hate to say it but I wish I would have had one of those on my oldest son’s seat last summer. He puked EVERYWHERE on the damn thing. He had had cherries for breakfast. The seat cover required a screwdriver to remove it. After 30 minutes in 95 degree weather, putrid chunky cherry puke all over myself, I got the damn thing off, hosed it down in the driveway and took it in to wash. The whole thing was such a pain in the ass that I BOUGHT A NEW CARSEAT. I justified it by reasoning that my son needed a bigger 5-point harness seat anyway, but really, it’s still sitting in pieces in the garage.

April 7th, 2009 at 4:16 pm

9. Nadia says:

A more affordable cover would be good for car seats that are shared, like in a daycare centre bus, if the chance of it getting washed on a regular basis was low. It would reduce the risk of cross-contamination a little. But at that price it seems more targeted at lazy parents.

April 7th, 2009 at 8:37 pm

10. BusyMom says:

Seriously, we are becoming a disposable world. What’s wrong with washing the car seat cover? Done it a lot myself. I’m nearly an expert at the disassembly/reassembly of my car seat. Beside, taking it apart to wash the cover lets you clean out all the cheerios that wind up hiding inside.

April 8th, 2009 at 3:30 am

11. Abbril says:

Speaking as a car seat tech, Kara’s got it. No third party products for carseats!!

Washing your car seat cover is so much easier than replacing your child :S

April 8th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

12. teresa Gleva says:

I could use these last Christmas we were comming back from visiting my parents. When along the way my daughter threw up cheaned her up and changed her clothes. We were about 125 miles from home then half about 60 miles down the road she threw up again. We polled on the side of the road changed her a gain, It was now starting to be a blizzard.
    She made us a nurvious reck she would not stop crying the seat was wet and stunk. Now were starting to potty train I still think I will try these.

April 9th, 2009 at 11:27 am