What Every Tired Parent Needs

Photo of my daughter giving a steam iron back rub to a stuffed plush Pooh Bear.Hey, so I’ve been congested for the past two weeks with what we call the Humboldt Crud. Last week I lost my sense of smell. Over the weekend food lost its flavor. We ate strawberries tonight, dammit.

You’d think removing flavor from life would do wonders for a father’s trim figure, but you’d be sadly mistaken. The one thing I can still taste is ultra sweet food, such as candy.

Anyhow, I finally acquired a fever last night. During bedtime routine my 4-year-old daughter asked whether I’d like a back rub. Why yes, of course.

Her implement of choice was a toy clothes iron. It seems she’s been running a covert “Back Rubbing Salon” out of her room for some time now. Her “Steam Back Rubber” is her tool of the trade. An added perk is that when you’re done, you feel great and your clothes have no wrinkles.

While I was getting my back rub, she asked whether I would like something to eat. No matter what play scenario she acts out, she always sells food. Car wash? Have a turkey sandwich while you wait. Need your broken leg fixed? Enjoy some ice cream while I make a cast. Sorry to hear that your friend died. Would you like some tea while you choose a flower arrangement? And so forth.

I opted for soup, but requested it be served in two bowls for me to soak each of my feet in while seated, and a hot towel for my hands. At the Back Rubbing Salon no request is too strange.

She did me one better though, offering to serve the soup in a bath tub filled with 1,000 regular bowls worth of soup. She calls it “Chicken Noodle Bubble Bath.” I’m sure the soup vapor would have me fixed in no time. All for $15. You can’t beat that.

(Sorry, that’s a staged photo with Pooh Bear at upper right. I dislocated my shoulder attempting to photograph my own back rub. But I enjoyed a nice bean burrito while the doctor popped it back in.)

Comments

9 Responses to “What Every Tired Parent Needs”

1. Ticia says:

Isn’t it amusing what kids decide is related to cooking. Mine now everywhere we go bring a backpack full of food. If we stay still more than 10 seconds they get it all out and start cooking.

April 22nd, 2009 at 5:43 am

2. RobMonroe says:

Only $15 for the bath is great, but what’s her co-pay? :o)

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

April 22nd, 2009 at 5:50 am

3. Stephanie says:

For the record… I love her “Senorita” t-shirt. Too cute! Feel better soon!

April 22nd, 2009 at 6:40 am

4. Jen says:

Love the imagination!! Seems like she’s a budding entrepreneur.

I’m so excited at how much more complicated their imaginary adventures get as they get older.

(My three year old is currently sitting on the floor trying to stuff her Schleich animals into toy cars and telling them they’re going to grandmother’s house for a cake baking).

April 22nd, 2009 at 11:21 am

5. Sara says:

To my 3-y-o, things cost either $6 or $40. No matter what, those are the prices he spouts with very little variation.

April 22nd, 2009 at 12:50 pm

6. Christy says:

I too find that cooking appears in every play scenario we come up with!

And my little-bit will actually put me to bed if I’m feeling bad enough. Talk about a good little mommy.

April 22nd, 2009 at 3:32 pm

7. Emily says:

I wish I had my children’s imagination–and energy! Love the story! :)

April 23rd, 2009 at 3:50 pm

8. Marcy says:

She will definatley have a sucessful business someday. You can sell anything if you offer food with it!

Totally unrelated question- when you were working on learning to read, did you use any special means for teaching letter sounds or just go with the flow? I teach kinders and we have a whole song and chant to help them memorize letter names and sounds, but my nephew is 2 and I want to start familiarizing him with them now. I know there are products out there, but just wondering if you used anything yourself, had a special method, or just jumped into it?

April 24th, 2009 at 7:44 am

Marcy, the only product we used to assist in reading was Bob Books:

April 28th, 2009 at 12:56 am