And his first word is…

Itty! As in, “Itty, stop running away from me. I want to clench your fur in my hands and rip it out!”

It was only one time, but we count [k]itty as our almost one-year-old boy’s first word because he used it in a contextual situation with our cat. He has experimented with saying “Papa,” but only whispering it as he tries to tackle the “P” sound, and never in the context of trying to get my attention.

Mostly the kid doesn’t babble much, like he has no need for it. But once in a while he surprises us. He’s on track or ahead on his other milestones. So, it’s a waiting game. What were your child’s first words?

Comments

16 Responses to “And his first word is…”

1. kymk says:

“‘ot.” This was said standing back from the wood stove and waving his hand back and forth like a trafffic cop and shaking his head “no.”

Country kids learn about hot quickly.

March 20th, 2009 at 7:21 am

2. Kimberly says:

Yay for the first word!!

Ours was ball– but he’d say “a ba”… as in “do you want a ball.” or “that is a ball”

He is 16 months a still doesn’t say Mama or dada in context.

Now that he can say the word (k)itty… you should have him watch the “Kittens inspired by Kittens” video on youtube…my kid loves it!

March 20th, 2009 at 9:14 am

3. Sandy W. says:

My first son, who is on the autism spectrum, spoke his first word when he was about 10 months old. Every day I walked him in his stroller and we would pass by a duck pond and I would stop and say “Look at the ducks”. Then one day as we approached he yelled out “cu cu cu ducks”. I thought it was a fluke but then every day after that as we passed by he yelled out “cu cu cu ducks”. He continued to learn to speak but as time grew on we realized that most of it was echolalia. (where you repeat entire phrases without really understanding language). He would repeat entire TV commercials with inflection and everything by age 2. It was cute at first until we learned what it was caused by.

My second son, who is typically developing, spoke his first word at 7 months. He said “ball” and pointed. He continued to learn single words before sentences.

March 20th, 2009 at 9:18 am

4. Christy says:

Congrats on the first word!

Ladybug’s first word was “Nana.” She loves Bananas! My mom was ecstatic, since that is also what we call her.

Her second word…”Apple”. And it wasn’t for the fruit. It was for the glowing Apple logo on my husband’s MacBook Pro. Yeah. We’re a geek family!

March 20th, 2009 at 12:41 pm

5. Teacher Jennifer says:

Funny how babies find pets so captivating!

My boy says eee-yuh constantly while crawling around the house chasing our poodle, Peanut. It has a similar meaning in our home, with the fur clenching and running away.

March 20th, 2009 at 2:23 pm

6. jen says:

my oldest said “air-pa” (airplane) at around 7 months old. living 10 minues from the airport always provided a plane to see when we were outside and one day she raised her hands, looked up, and said it.

interestingly, she didn’t crawl until 11 months or walk until almost 15 months. all of her energy seemed focused on learning words.

now, my second born’s first word was “uh-oh” at 8 months and she’s since learned about 6 more words with definite meaning (she’s now nearly 11 months). but she threw all of my theories out the window as she’s far more physical than my first.

kids are funny… by the time they’re five or so, it’s so difficult to see who the early walkers/early talkers were.

what’s interesting to me is the variation between a second born in one family vs a second born in another. some seem determined to catch up to their older siblings in both speech and movement while others are content to let the older sibling talk and move for them.

March 20th, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Yeah, I’m not sweating his lack of words at this point. My daughter has a friend who didn’t speak until about his second birthday. He doesn’t have good diction or a very good attention span for something like a board game, but he’s doing okay. A lot of his energy has been channeled into physical activity.

March 20th, 2009 at 5:30 pm

8. MoJo says:

Our 2nd child didn’t talk till after 2. His older sister did all the talking and no one could get a word in edgewise. Our 3rd’s first word was really a phrase… “get down” in a low and deep voice and was at about 12 months. I wonder how many hundreds of times he has heard us say this to him. He is such a monkey and climbs every bookcase in sight. Now at 17 months he still thinks it is hilarious to say to us at random times!

March 21st, 2009 at 10:14 am

9. MIdge says:

My daughter, now five, said and signed “more” before age one year. My son, now 11 mos., says ma ma ma, da da da, and ba ba ba all the time, but I don’t think it’s in any context, just babbling. He did make a purposeful “moo” sound a few days ago. We have read several books and have several stuffed cows in the house. Can your first word be “moo”???

March 21st, 2009 at 3:47 pm

10. Jen says:

I remember my first daughter said “ma-ma” first. Usually you hear that “da-da” is the easier word to say, and some moms get upset that the baby calls dad first.

Well, my husband loved this… our daughter would get up first thing in the morning calling “MA-MA!” and my husband would lay there and say “She’s calling you!”

I always tell that to every mom so they can do that to their husbands!!! haha!

March 21st, 2009 at 8:14 pm

11. MellissaD says:

Josiah’s first word was “Mum”. It soon doubled to become “Mummum”, and he still calls me that at 2 and a bit. Never Mum, never Mummy, always Mummum :)

March 27th, 2009 at 3:18 am

12. Melissa S says:

My daughter’s first word was said while coloring at age 14 months. It was “wow”, as in “wow, that’s a great drawing sweetie!”. It was pretty hilarious hearing her repeat it over and over while scribbling.

March 27th, 2009 at 7:24 pm

13. Jessica G says:

Both of my girls also had “kitty” as their first word – circa 10 months. My second (Paige) surprised all of us at 16 months of age by yelling “Mommy! I eat! I eat cheese!” from her crib one morning. At least she knew what she wanted, right?

March 29th, 2009 at 4:34 pm

14. beachcomber says:

My eldest’s first word was also directed at a pet – “ooma” – her version of Wilma, our cat.

April 3rd, 2009 at 3:01 pm

15. beachcomber says:

Eldest also babbled a mysterious ‘shoo shoo’. I couldn’t figure it out…. her shoes? my shoes? ….what the heck. Then a sneeze sounded from across a store and, once again ‘shoo shoo’. Aaaaaah. We often said “excuse you” to her when she burped, sneezed …whatever. Mystery solved.

April 3rd, 2009 at 3:06 pm

16. Ari says:

oh these stories are making me laugh! thanks to all.

our lil’un hasn’t spoken yet (he is 4 months… omg is this normal? should i worry? j/k) but i can’t wait. According to grandparents, my (mommy’s) first word was ‘mum-mum’ and daddy’s first words were “go out to play”. hm. now that’s a high bar.

the ‘shoo shoo’ and ‘wow’ story- ridiculously cute.

April 5th, 2009 at 8:47 am