BabbaCover: Infant Car Seat Shroud

Modern moms transport their babies in child safety seats, even when not traveling by car. But what about that damn blanket you drape over the seat to shield your babe? It’s always falling off or clashing with your ensemble. Surely we can do better than a technology invented in the Neolithic Era. There must be a better way!

Behold the 21st century replacement for towels and baby blankets. Is your baby tired? Bothered by the wind? Scared of reality? Then you need the BabbaCover by BabbaCo.

Photo of two BabbaCovers, one green and stylized as a car with a smiling face on its front titled Beep Beep. The other is a red floral pattern titled Cati Coral.

The BabbaCover is a fleece or flannel cover that fits over standard infant car seats. It’s equipped with two window holes with button-up flaps, cargo pockets and an elastic opening for accessing the car seat handle. Eight fabric designs are available from BeepBeep to Leopard Rrrr.

If it were me, I’d go with the flannel version because I don’t want my kid at least partially breathing through fleece, better known as polyester, lesser known as polyethylene terephthalate. Ahh, marketing.

You wouldn’t cover your baby while you’re driving would you? Because this thing is supported by the seat handle being in its upright position, and everyone knows you don’t drive with the handle in the upright position. If junior’s harness is slightly off or fails and you’re in a minor car jostle, his head goes splat into the handle.

To its credit, BabbaCo doesn’t show photos nor imply its product should be used in a car. That still doesn’t excuse them from naming their company BabbaCo, but let’s not quibble.

Update: According to this discussion at carseat.org, some models do allow the handle to be upright. Check your manual.

Oh, this is all academic. What I really want to do is find out what you think of this cover. Would you use one? And, also, I must use my superior design intellect to express alternate cover ideas beyond a cutesy car and floral designs…

• Domo-Kun edition, “Chomp! Chomp!” (That’s not a viewing window. It’s a mouth!)
  • The 2001 Space Odyssey edition, “Pod.”
  • The Stephen Hawking edition, “Black Hole.” (Umm, it’s dark inside the thing. Get it?)
  • The Flash Gordon edition, “Wood Beast.” (Oh, you know, Flash trespasses in the temple on Arboria and Prince Barin makes Flash stick his hand into that gnarly tree stump and risk certain death at the mouth of the wood beast. Oh, uhh, maybe you don’t know.)
  • The Dune edition, “Bene Gesserit Box.” (Surely this reminds you of the pain induction box Paul Atreides stuck his hand inside when the Reverend Mother tested his aptitude for not screaming while his flesh melts.  Try and tell me you didn’t think “pain induction box” when you saw the BabbaCover.)
  • Fluffy kitten edition. Everyone loves kitties.

Comments

24 Responses to “BabbaCover: Infant Car Seat Shroud”

1. Ticia says:

I personally probably wouldn’t have bought it, but I can see a reason why you might.
    One of my college friends had a preemie who is supposed to have limited contact with people because of the risk of getting sick and going back to the NICU. And it seems that no matter how much you tell people not to touch your baby they do seem to think they’re the one exception, so this makes it so they can look in, but not touch.

As to the whole baby wearing thing, me personally if my baby was already asleep in the car seat, which they were at the time they were small enough for baby wearing, I’m not waking them up to put them in it.

Oh, and I don’t know of a way to wear twins in a sling that doesn’t end up with me having back problems. So we used the car seats to carry them or put them in a stroller.

March 23rd, 2009 at 5:52 am

We drove with the handle up quite a bit, actually. Most car seats allow it.

I like the beep beep cover. Would not have purchased it because not needed in our weather (and I didn’t have difficulties with blankets). But its cute!

March 23rd, 2009 at 6:30 am

3. Mary says:

I personally wouldn’t use it, but that’s because I tried a cover on my first child’s car seat in the wintertime and I really didn’t like it. Although, this one is unique because it uses the handle bar to create a canopy over the child. The others I’ve seen, and the one we had used, just goes over the seat with a flap over the head. This design is cute and having access to the handle bar is really great. For our second child a blanket sufficed whenever we had to cover her up.

March 23rd, 2009 at 6:34 am

4. Jenni says:

Naw, wouldn’t use it. But that’s mostly because I also don’t use those portable carseats anyway. I don’t like them; many people use them long after their child has outgrown them; and I’m okay waking the baby to get her out of the seat an into my arms/sling/aunties arms/etc…

March 23rd, 2009 at 6:40 am

MBR, upon further inspection, some car seats do allow the handle to be upright, but just because it’s possible it doesn’t mean it’s recommended. Check your manual to be sure. It’s technically possible to be upright on some models even though it runs contrary to safety guidelines in the manual.

March 23rd, 2009 at 6:45 am

6. Hope says:

Hahaha really thats terrible. Now, being in Canada we definitely needed a snuggle bag for the winter.

And we also put it over their head when transporting from house to car. Its that or get the breathe knocked out of them by 25 km/h wind at 35 below zero. (whoops thats Celsius… cant do the conversion sorry)

I cant see that these would keep the wind off very well unless they are lined with plastic… and that wouldnt work for me at all.

March 23rd, 2009 at 6:49 am

7. adrienne says:

We use a flannel receiving blanket (which is too small for much else). I safety pinned it to the seat’s bonnet. We fold it back when not in use.

A bundle me cover (a slightly lighter version of Hope’s baby bundler) keeps our babe warm.

None of my components match each other, much less the baby’s ensemble, but I figure it’s preparation for the sort of vehicles my child will eventually drive.

March 23rd, 2009 at 7:10 am

8. MIdge says:

My thought is that it’s just another one of those things marketers try to convince you that you NEED for your baby. Our son was 9 lbs + at birth, so we usually wore him in a wrap and avoided carrying the baby AND the car seat!

He’s now 22 lbs, at 11 mos. and I still wear him, although I’m looking forward to him walking!

March 23rd, 2009 at 7:55 am

9. Kara says:

We had a convertible carseat from the beginning, so I’ve never used an infant carrier/carseat. If I wasn’t planning on wearing him, I moved him to the stroller… he slept through it. Heck he’s 4.5 now and if he falls asleep in the car I can still move him, pull on some pjs, and put him to bed without him waking up.

We live in the deep south, so that whole needing to bundle up concept is pretty foreign to me.

March 23rd, 2009 at 8:25 am

10. Amy says:

I did have a need for a car seat cover, that would not absorb all the precipitation, as well as shield the baby from the wind. We picked up a $20 fleece cover with elastic at BRU, and that worked well. We were able to move the handle without moving the cover, which keep the heat in. It was not water-repellant, though I understand those are out there now too. I was always wary of Bundle-Me, since it puts another layer in between the car seat and the baby.

March 23rd, 2009 at 12:52 pm

11. Christy says:

I received one of these as a gift, and as an actual user — I have to say that these are a Godsend! I live in Chicago (which has wickedly cold and windy winters)… and I was comforted by how well it protected our baby. It also provides an amazing naptime environment… so our baby had no trouble sleeping at restaurants and our large family gatherings. Not to mention that it’s also SO cute (I have the BeepBeep), and such a headturner everywhere we go! This has become my “go-to gift” for baby showers – and always gets a “wow” from everyone. Love it!

(By the way – the product packaging states warnings against using this while driving, so I guess it’s not meant to be used in the car.)

March 23rd, 2009 at 1:38 pm

12. Amber says:

I would buy this. I dropped the blanket I threw over my son’s car seat in the mud way too many times, and this is up and off their face but still helps to block the wind.

Sign me up.

March 23rd, 2009 at 8:19 pm

13. Marie says:

I wouldn’t buy it simply because I’m a miser. If it doesn’t serve multiple purposes for the kids, I don’t own it. That being said, if I was in a really cold environment where shielding from the wind was more important for the brief move from car to indoors? I might changemy mind.

March 24th, 2009 at 11:11 am

14. Jen says:

I had to check the website to see the price, to say whether I would buy one or not. For $89… no way!!!!! I would look for a bundle-me or something at a consignment store for $10, tops.

My daughters were born in the spring and summer, so by the time the weather was cold enough to need/want a cover, the girls had outgrown their infant seat, so I never bought one.

March 24th, 2009 at 5:30 pm

15. June says:

Hm. Well, my daughter was born in February, granted not in the coldest place on earth, but definitely cold, and I never, never, never saw the need to cover her car seat. If I did end up carrying her around in her car seat, which was rare, and it was cold, I put a blanket on her, but not covering her face. I just don’t get it. I mean, I understand if you live in Antarctica, you are going to want to cover your baby’s face when outdoors. But 99% of the time when I see a baby under a blanket I think it is totally unwarranted. And creepy. I mean, I can’t breathe when my head is under a blanket. Can you? Maybe it’s just me.

March 25th, 2009 at 7:04 am

We read our car seat manual. It said nothing about not recommended. Nor do the car safety experts on car-seat.org say anything about not recommended (and they are quick to jump on stuff that is not safe).

We are no longer in the infant seat, since our baby is 19 months. But its really not a problem for infant seats that say you can have a handle up, in the car seat instruction manual (which is most of them these days)

“Graco advises that either the up or down position can be used during travel.
    We have conducted extensive crash testing to FMVSS 213 standards as well as
    ISO side-impact testing with the handle in both the upright and down positions.
    We have also carefully examined crash investigation reports involving the
    SnugRide. Another interesting fact is that in Europe the handle, is required to
    be in the upright position.
    Personally, Steve, Ray and myself have our own children restrained in SnugRides. Based off all the data that we have, we always have our children travel
    in the SnugRide with the handle in the upright position.”

March 25th, 2009 at 7:55 am

17. Rhonda says:

In general, I’d avoid something like this for full term, singleton newborns. However, my twins were born at 30 weeks. The came home 6 weeks later, at the beginning of November. Our NICU and our pedi put us on strict house arrest. We were not allowed to take the babies out into a public (germ filled) setting until RSV/flu season was over. We also had to limit visitors to our house and absolutely no exposure to other children. That meant that I never left the house for anything except their pedi visits until May and I saw very few people. If I could have used these things to protect them from strangers and germs while taking a stroll around the mall or picking up a few groceries, then you can bet I would have invested in them.

March 25th, 2009 at 12:45 pm

18. Spookygirl says:

Lots of slings go up to 35lbs ;) Ask me, I still sling my 3 1/2 year old now and again, LOL!

March 25th, 2009 at 6:29 pm

19. Amber says:

When you have a tiny baby sound asleep in a carseat in the dead of midwestern deep-freeze winter, the thought of unstrapping the little bugger just to run in and pay for gas is enough to make you not leave your house.

90 bucks is pretty steep, but again, since I already used a blanket for this use (and it blew all over, off of him, and got in the way or fell on the ground) I would STILL save up my baby shower bucks for one. Or get someone on etsy to make me one similar for cheaper.

March 26th, 2009 at 4:34 pm

20. Farah says:

I thought these were baby burkas for babies who are getting into the modest religious wear trend.

March 27th, 2009 at 12:42 pm

21. Ari says:

oh, such serious safety discussed ensued!

“Or, you know, I could just slap on a baby sling. Oh, not really. My boy was 25lbs on his first birthday. I’m glad he walks.”
    LOL. we are at 4 months and 20lbs. at this rate, we’ll be 27 or 28 at his 1st birthday, if we follow the growth curve.
    Funny thing is, we have a sling, the ergo, the bjorn, AND a japanese-made carrier. We’re still taking suggestions. (ohmybackhurts)

April 5th, 2009 at 8:41 am

22. Carrie says:

Ari-
    Have you tried wearing him on your back? Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9NDTEheZYg

April 5th, 2009 at 8:57 pm

23. Lori says:

I could make one of these — for certainly less than $90!

April 11th, 2009 at 6:44 am

24. Katherine says:

I LOVE this product. Those others snugglies that fit into the seat made my baby sweat so much that I always ended up unzipping it anyway! But his face would be freezing because that was the only opening! I like how this attaches to the handle to cover the seat completely, but still keeps my baby warm and gives him some breathing room! And it’s so easy to check on him without disturbing him if he’s sleeping. I think the price is totally worth it after struggling so much with all the other covers I tried. I’m not kidding, I’ve tried them all, and this one is the BEST.

April 16th, 2009 at 8:41 am