Not Everyone Gets Me

First-time, only-time Thinga-reader Marc wrote in today to ask:

“Are you an idiot? Getting a hamster will make a kid a serial killer?”

He was responding to my article, Electronic Hamsters are the Best Pets for Toddlers, in which I establish that if you give your toddler a real, living pet hamster, he will be mentally harmed, a damaged child, a serial killer by his 21st birthday.

I sometimes forget that not everyone gets me, perhaps not even frequent readers. I was disappointed by the cool reception to yesterday’s pink rant, but maybe pink rants are getting old. Or maybe a majority of my readers have the word “juicy” positioned just above their rumpus.

Where am I going with this? Nowhere I think, and fast.

Comments

10 Responses to “Not Everyone Gets Me”

1. Christy says:

So what if some readers don’t “get you”? Are you writing to placate them? Or are you writing what you want to write?

(I, for one, find you quite witty.)

February 20th, 2009 at 6:41 pm

2. Stephanie says:

It’s amazing how one icky comment can make you feel like writing a blog isn’t worth it. But A.J., your blog is the only one I read religiously because it’s funny, you find ridiculous new baby/toddler inventions, and I never know what you will blog about next.

And seriously, who would even allow a toddler to hold a real life hamster? Has that guy ever been near a toddler? I mean, do you have to spell it out for him?

February 20th, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I’m not offended by Marc’s comment. I smirk at outrage founded on a false premise. He was merely my segue into divulging that I’m crestfallen over the lack of hear-hears over the pink post. I cried till dawn.

Speaking of confused newcomers, every few days someone confuses Thingamababy for a retail store and e-mails asking where the “buy” link is located.

February 20th, 2009 at 7:31 pm

4. Gregory says:

Haha, comedy gold. My wife used to get random people coming by her blog, and not getting her sarcasm.

Anyways, you were right about the hamster… everyone knows you should get your toddler a rat. They are less likely to bite. :)

Re: the “buy” link, you should sell your baby vomit shirts… you’d make a bundle.

February 21st, 2009 at 7:18 am

5. Pippin says:

I’m so disgusted by all things pink and juicy-butted that I just couldn’t comment without the bile backing up in my throat and causing issues, since I was home alone with BabyPippin.

Now that it’s the weekend, and DearHusband is home, it’s a different story.

Yes, buying a kid a real hamster will cause serial-killer tendencies. I had two as a child. Don’t tell my husband, please, as I like to keep him in the dark about my past.

(Sarcasm? What sarcasm?)

February 21st, 2009 at 9:47 am

6. Jen says:

I think the majority of your regular readers are on the same page about pink bejeweled juicy butted babies and toddlers.

How else are they going to establish themselves as females when they get older? I mean, really.

February 21st, 2009 at 12:36 pm

7. Diana (Ladybug Limited) says:

Hey Pippin took the words out of my mouth! I was just coming out of lurkdom to say that I hadn’t commented on the Pink Rant of ’09 because I was too busy trying to keep the bile from rising ever farther in my throat.

I’ve blogged numerous times on how I feel about this whole Princess culture on my Holes in My Shiny Veneer blog– guess I should have linked to the Pink Rant for continuity!

February 21st, 2009 at 8:47 pm

8. Tiffany says:

Don’t worry- the rest of us get the humor. Who wants a rodent anyway- seriously, a rodent?? And as for pink, I’m on board with your rant- I just thank god I have a boy! (who at 3 has a very strong affinity for ANYTHING with wheels…)

February 24th, 2009 at 9:39 am

9. Sara says:

i too appreciate your humor…and i love that you manage to find all the “what on earth were they thinking hen they made that?” baby products.

pink is awful! i’ve hated it since i was a kid.

February 25th, 2009 at 7:57 am

10. Patti says:

Have not yet read the pink post… but… If I’m ever crazy enough to progenate (not a real word? should be.) a third time and it turns out to be a girl I’m SEVERELY tempted to actively lie about the sex once I find out (cause I will… I’m nosey) to reduce the amount of time people have to inundate me with pink. I have nothing against a few pink items,,, but really. I fully intend to dress hypothetical girl third-child in elder brother’s cute clothes (because I don’t buy close that are uber-boy-y either, when I can help it) for as long as possible. And when I begin buying clothes specifically to showcase her “X” ness, they will be as non-pink non-cloyingly uber-icky-sweetie as I can get, while still taking advantage of the pleothra of cuteness that is clothing available for girls (and not nearly as much choice for los boyos).

I get you, though, AJ. And when you do go kind of over-the-bend as compared to my own personal sensibilites about some perceived horror of our (parenting) culture I simply roll my net eyes and whisper to myself “oh AJ”, cause you know… it matters so much if/when I disagree a little bit, be it in theory or in practice.

February 25th, 2009 at 12:09 pm