Reason #24601 to Raise your Daughter in the United Kingdom

The news release had a pitch I couldn’t resist:

“Ever dreamt of living life in the PINK? Now you can. A new web site has just been launched designed to meet the pink needs inside all of us and to help businesses selling pink items!”

Product photos for a pink bassinet, pink baby mat, pink toy lawn mower, pink tricycle, pink play pen, pink baby monitors and pink dress-up clothing.

Hallelujah! Pink4fun.com is the brainchild of a 20-year-old university drama major in the United Pinkdom. It seems the enterprising young woman behind the website is using affiliate links to earn a commission when you buy from retailers displayed on her website.

Here in the United States, pink is a synonym for vagina [NSFW Victoria's Secret link], with the word commonly seen in public plastered on spandex or pajama-clad fannies (and more personal garments in private). Thank goodness parents across the pond have reigned in retailers and kept the meaning and history of pinkness truly wholesome, unsoiled, and dare I say it? Virginal.

In case you’re wondering, these are the items depicted above:

Who does a well-intentioned American father have to talk with in order to get some of these wonderful pink children’s products imported into the US? I’m sick and tired of everything being gender neutral. Aren’t you? I have half a mind to launch my own clothing product line. I’d call my company Real Non-Slutty Girls Wear Pink Without The Word “Pink” Appearing on Their Clothing, LLC.

Comments

6 Responses to “Reason #24601 to Raise your Daughter in the United Kingdom”

1. Teacher Jennifer says:

20-year-old drama major = may-jah drama for little girls!

Excellent rant. We hear you.

February 20th, 2009 at 9:58 pm

2. Marcee says:

I’m speechless. When will it stop?

February 24th, 2009 at 5:17 pm

3. Patti says:

Wow. Um. Yeah… no, actually.. No.

February 25th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

4. tripletmomma says:

Maybe it’s that I’ve got only girls but- I’m drowning in the sea of pink here, I relish the occasional purple & gender neutral. Though I would pay good money to buy you’re non-slutty brand clothing -something that actually fits my 3yr olds without showing off belly, thigh &/or butt crack, I won’t even get started on the words printed on inappropriate areas.

February 27th, 2009 at 10:45 am

5. mary scott says:

i dont agree, i think its a marvellous website, in england pink is mearly a colour favourable with both boys and girls …nothing else.I’m confused as to how you’ve managed to link these items to inappropriate subjects.

March 12th, 2009 at 8:48 am

6. Ellie Johnson says:

Pink4fun is a great site. I think it amaxing that parents seem to be streotyping the colour for girls – I hasve a lots of male and female friends who wear pink so it seems pretty gender neutral ot me. it is refreshing to go noto a site and buy quality cloths and products by simply clicking on the image – anyway pink used to be the colour for boys – why can’t we just enjoy the colour and have fun!!

April 20th, 2009 at 4:40 am