Temporarily Unblogged

Short version: whine, whine, look at poor ol’ me, whine, whine. I’m going to bed now.

Slightly longer version: Last week my family members took turns getting a stomach flu. Did you notice? Yeah, no blog post on Thursday. I slept, ate an entire piece of bread, and slept some more that day.

My wife got better in time to travel 2,600 miles away to a nursing conference (which is a neat coincidence because she happens to be a nurse).

Just as I got better, Grandma arrived to help out with our 4-year-old and 10-month-old. Then Grandma got sick.

You’d think with a 4-year-old I would have learned the Golden Parenting Rule: “Get it done now because the universe could fall apart tomorrow, again.”

Sadly, I never learn. What I’m saying is, Thingamababy will be running behind for a few days as I catch up to my real-world paycheck-type work.

Incidentally, it’s been an interesting experience watching a 4-year-old become paralyzed by the fear of puking and then freaked by anyone who even hints at feeling a little under the weather.

And then slather on top of that a good dose of missing mom more than life itself. You can deploy all sorts of measures to assuage that grief, but at the end of the day, after you’ve talked to mom on the phone for half an hour and you’re lying in bed with a night light and a moon and for-this-weekend-only a half dozen glow stick bracelets around your wrists… it’s still lonely in the not-quite-so-dark solitude of your room.

Comments

11 Responses to “Temporarily Unblogged”

1. Mary says:

I’m sorry to hear that you and your family have been sick. I think its all going around – though we had flu, bronchitis, and laryngitis to deal with in our home. I hope you guys get to feeling better.

January 26th, 2009 at 6:41 am

2. Hope says:

Totally understand! At our house we have pneumonia, bronchitis, upper respiratory tract infection, lung infection, and some good old flu symptoms sprinkled in for good measure.
    Hope you all feel better soon!

January 26th, 2009 at 7:51 am

3. MoJo says:

Ugh…we had it too. Stomach flu and weird red, swollen eye thing (not pink eye) and that horrible cough that lasts until you think it can’t last any longer…

January 26th, 2009 at 7:51 am

4. Stephanie says:

We had the tummy troubles during Christmas ’07. Right now we are dealing with the common cold. Fevers, coughing, blech. All three of us. I hope you feel better soon!

January 26th, 2009 at 7:58 am

5. Pippin says:

I feel for you. I started with a stomach bug Christmas Eve, and spent a whole 2 hours out of bed on Christmas Day. Our relatives missed seeing our child’s second Christmas.

The Day After Christmas I had a strange rash all over… luckily no one else in the house caught my bug, but being an out-of-commission-Mommy-on-Christmas was NO FUN.

January 26th, 2009 at 9:01 am

6. Christy says:

Yuck! Get well soon! (And yes, we’ve had familial viruses that seem to touch everyone we meet!)

January 26th, 2009 at 9:13 am

7. Allison says:

Wow, sounds like a rough week! Hope you are feeling better really soon!

January 26th, 2009 at 9:17 am

8. jen says:

we’ve been there this past week too. ugh. puke was not on my list of things I considered before having kids. UGH.

Hope you all get caught up soon! (And that Mom comes home quickly) :)

January 26th, 2009 at 11:00 am

9. Dani says:

Sounds like an awful time. Hope everyone feels better and you get everything caught up soon.
    Good luck!

January 26th, 2009 at 1:19 pm

10. Jeremiah says:

Know the feeling. Get well soon.

January 27th, 2009 at 9:06 am

11. Amber says:

Get well soon! The only thing worse than trying to take care of kids while sick is trying to take care of SICK kids while sick. Here’s hoping your kids stay healthy.

MY husband and I spent Christmas Day miserably trying to decide if we could wait until the next day to go to the doctor or if we needed to hit Urgent Care–BOTH of us had Tonsillitis.

January 27th, 2009 at 7:53 pm