Fame or Shame Game #10: Morning Chicness Bags

Update: This game has concluded. The winner was announced here.

The prize: Up for grabs this time is one copy of the Rookie Mom’s Handbook. Inside you’ll find 250 activities for new moms. Thank you to the kind person who recently gifted the book to my family, but I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. I kind of, sort of, already received a review copy, and, umm, reviewed it. Good book.

Your challenge: Tell us why the inventor of the following product is destined for fame, or shame.

The product:

Photo of six Morning Chicness Bags in various colors and designs on the outside.

Morning Chicness Bags are compact, disposable, affordable, and yet stylish vomit bags. Now you can carry a chic morning sickness bag everywhere you go. You no longer have to use airsickness bags from the airplane, plastic shopping bags or garbage bags. You can stop searching for the nearest toilet bowl everywhere you go, and no more sticking your head in a disgusting, smelly garbage can!”

Oh how I wish I crafted those words, but it’s a direct quote from the product’s website.

The bags come in various colorful designs: Lavender Lulu, Tickled Pink, Baby Bubbles, Bambooboo, Labor of Love and Rosebuddies. They are made from bleached Kraft paper with a polyethylene lining to prevent leakage.

Buy them in packs of 10, 20, 50 or 100 ($7.50, $12.95, $27.50 or $45).

Who needs a pack of 100 barf bags? The company’s founder who suffered from Hyperemesis Gravidarum during her pregnancy.

Hyperemesis Gravidarum is a combination of Greek and Latin that translates to: “excessive vomiting of pregnant women.” Well, you learn something new every day, huh?

Game Deadline: I will arbitrarily select one funny or thoughtful submission to be designated the Grand Exalted Winner of All Time for Game #10 (GEWoATfG10 for short) to win the prize.  The game is open to anyone anywhere in the world so long as you give me your mailing address within a week of my notifying you by e-mail that you won. The deadline for submissions is whenever I grow weary… as soon as tomorrow or as long as next week. How’s that for specific?

Using the comment form below, tell us dear Thinga-readers, is this inventor destined for fame or shame and why? Enter as often as you can stomach. If you like, begin your comment with “Fame because…” or “Shame because…”

Also see previously: Red E Bag for expecting moms with morning sickness.

*Note: This game is NOT sponsored by Rookie Moms or Morning Chicness Bags.

Comments

25 Responses to “Fame or Shame Game #10: Morning Chicness Bags”

1. Melissa says:

At first I thought shame, but then I remembered a friend that vomited her entire pregnancy. While I wouldn’t pay for them myself, I could definitely see the benefit of a non-leaking bag that you could use when out and about. So I have switched my opinion and now vote fame in honor of my friend.

January 6th, 2009 at 5:16 am

2. Kathleen says:

Shame…because yeah, when I’m going to barf I am so worried about the stylishness of the bag I am barfing in. For that matter, I always make sure I have a full face of make-up and heels too. If your gonna puke you have to do it in style right?
    Sigh…we have so many real issues going on and this is what people come up with. Ugh.

January 6th, 2009 at 5:42 am

3. Jeanne says:

Fame: I’m a metro-babe. And when I got pregnant I suddenly needed to stuff paper bags into my Metro Go Bag. I learned that puke does NOT stay in the paper lunch bags the only time I got sick on the train. I had searched far and wide for some sort of sickness bag, and I’m betting these would get some shelf space in Babies R Us (because they only seem to stock things specific to pregnancy/babies).

I couldn’t care less about style, but it would be really nice if you could find something that could be shoved into a purse so you don’t end up ralphing all over the train’s carpet. Also it might help keep it a little more discreet (seriously!).

January 6th, 2009 at 5:51 am

4. Stephanie says:

I was pretty sick through my pregnancy and an old fashioned toilet was good enough for me. If I had to hurl I wasn’t thinking, “Now, where did I put my pretty pink pukey bag?”

However, I do think they are cute for lunch bags. Hmmm… food going in vs. food coming out…maybe she should market it as having multiple uses.

January 6th, 2009 at 5:55 am

5. Kara says:

Fame: I think I may go and buy a 10 pack. My morning (ha!) sickness usually hits suddenly and most of the time when I’m out of the house. It’s hard to focus on not throwing up on the floor, while at the same time trying to grab my confused and obstinate 4 year old to run to the bathroom.

January 6th, 2009 at 6:24 am

6. Amy says:

Fame – for SURE! During my pregnancy my ‘morning’ sickness could and did strike anytime, anywhere! There was one day I threw up in my hands in the middle of a meeting (no trash can in sight). Now THAT was embarrassing!!!!

January 6th, 2009 at 6:41 am

7. Allison says:

Shame: I would never remember to take something with me to puke in and if I did I would opt for a reused plastic bag at the very least. Also if I’m puking in it I really don’t care what it looks like.

Admittedly though I am not really the market for this. I felt really sick during my first trimester but I only threw up once.

January 6th, 2009 at 7:15 am

8. anjii says:

Fame!!! The style aspect is not a big factor for me, but having something that could be folded up in my back pocket WHEREVER and WHENEVER I needed it would have been a lifesaver during my pregnancies! Grocery bags usually have small holes at the corner seams, and they leaked all the time. In the car, I just kept hubby’s most recent paper coffee cup, and would put the lid back on everytime I was done, but I puked on many a floor, in my hands and in NASTY public garbage receptacles… this would have trumped them all!

January 6th, 2009 at 8:24 am

Fame–I think. Certainly NOT shame. There’s plenty of times when pregnant I wished I could carry a discreet way to throw up cleanly anywhere I went (although I didn’t actually throw up much, I did feel nauseous a lot) and its REALLY embarassing using a fast food trash can and having it drip down the side because you can’t throw up at the right angle to get it inside.

However! Is the opening big enough to “catch it all” That’s what I would be afraid of…

January 6th, 2009 at 8:35 am

10. Kimberly says:

90% Fame, 10% Shame. Fame because once when I was a flight attendant I got a really bad flu. I was is San Diego and was taken off duty and was flown home to Portland. I was so sick that I couldn’t both wait for the flight to board and be puking in bathroom. And I couldn’t wait until the plane took off and when I could unbuckle my seatbelt to vomit in the lavatory. So yea, I had to use a constant stream of airline puke bags. I was still in uniform and completely humilated. Would the pretty bags help much? Not really, but I would have happily used them over the ugly airline ones.

Now the shame. She totally swiped the designs from Microsoft Clip Art… that is shame because she could be making money off design concepts that aren’t hers and weren’t paid for by her. For some reason that bothers me. (I know this because I use several of the same designs–for personal use).

January 6th, 2009 at 9:08 am

11. Pippin says:

Since they are sooo cute and all, wouldn’t it be a great practical joke to leave a used one in the office frig for that person who ALWAYS swipes your lunch?

(Yes, lots of sarcasm).

January 6th, 2009 at 9:55 am

12. leslie says:

Initially I though shame – the idea of trying to puke into a pretty bag is really laughable to me (see the photo of the backlit lady puking into her bag on the company’s webpage!) My initial thought was – if a plastic grocery bag is not an option for you (for environmental reasons) then why not just buy a plain motion sickness airbag? Well, after a brief online search, I realize that they’re not all that easy to find in small quantities. And the few that I did find were only $1 or $2 cheaper (after adding shipping fees) than these bags. So, if the novelty of the item appeals to you, then I guess it’s not too crazy to me that you might want to buy them. I would never buy them myself, but I’m sure I’ve spent money on things that others would consider to be frivolous!

January 6th, 2009 at 10:15 am

13. MoJo says:

Shame. I too suffered from 3 pregnancies plagued with HG (Hyperemesis Gravidarum). Somehow I managed without a chic vomit bag. I would never waste money on something like this even if they aren’t expensive.

January 6th, 2009 at 11:52 am

14. VDog says:

Fame because those JetBlue barf bags I used whilst flying 6 months pregnant just are not NEARLY as stylish. Fer reals.

January 6th, 2009 at 1:24 pm

15. Erin says:

Fame. Even plain old not pregnant mommies could use these. For kids. Hello! We’ve all dealt with the plastic bag and it’s not fun. I couldn’t care less about the pretty design but the waterproof factor sold me.

January 6th, 2009 at 1:58 pm

16. anjii says:

“Pippin says:
    I think the only way they could be any more chic is if they were “green” bags that could be reused…”

I had this thought myself, but then realized that, no matter how “green” I try to be, I would NEVER be able to clean a puke bag, with a uber-sensitive nose and constantly turning stomach. I’d just end up puking all over again. I think, for the short percentage of my life that involves constant puking, I’m okay with using a less environmental option, as long as I balance that with the rest of my life ;)

January 6th, 2009 at 2:05 pm

17. Christy says:

FAME!
    I would have bought stock in this company when I was pregnant. I was one of those women that had the unforgettable fortune of morning, noon, and night sickness–during my entire pregnancy.

It’s not the “chic” part that has won me over. It’s the waterproof/portability aspect. Plastic shopping bags leak (trust me), and while zip-top food storage bags are sturdy alternatives, you can still SEE what you just put in it. At least with these you don’t have to look at the puke.

Plus, you can always use the leftover (unused) bags for goodie bags at the kid’s 1st birthday party!

January 6th, 2009 at 3:17 pm

18. Kara says:

I consider myself pretty “green” overall, but there is no way I’d be washing out a reusable puke bag while pregnant.

January 6th, 2009 at 3:51 pm

19. Lorelai says:

FAME! The website says the bags disintegrate in soil….so they are “green”.
    I definitely could’ve used these when i was pregnant and they’d be a fun present!

January 6th, 2009 at 10:12 pm

20. Mama Peach says:

SHAME!! I vomited severely 24 hours a day for 42 weeks with my first pregnancy (was hospitalized a few times), and my second seems to be fairly similiar thus far. No WAY would I use these (unless I got really stuck and was um…holding it in my mouth and someone handed it to me – what, it has happened).

It would look like I was vomiting into a lovely lunch I had prepared. Ick.

I find a nice descrete plastic bag does the trick..and they ball up really small so they can go with you anywhere.

January 7th, 2009 at 4:48 am

21. Mama Peach says:

Sorry I should summarize my above thought a little better – in a nutshell, they are too pretty and eye-catching to be descrete!!! Could you imagine someone coming over after you have just put the bag to use to ‘admire’ it? I think vomting into one of those bags would draw even more attention to you, and frankly, I have stage fright :)

January 7th, 2009 at 4:52 am

22. jen says:

Currently sick and barftastic, I think the premise of waterproof bag is a wonderful idea.

I laughed a bit at the idea of them being “green” and reusable.

Initially I thought that a plastic freezer bag would do the trick and these were stupid. But really, WHO WANTS TO SEE MY RALPHED UP LUNCH? Yeah, exactly.

The idea of these helping someone be discrete is a bit laughable too. For me, at least… mainly because I am NOT remotely quiet when the sickness strikes. I can’t imagine not drawing stares.

Now, if I had a cute bag, perhaps the stares would at least note my sense of style with appreciation.

January 7th, 2009 at 11:37 am

23. anne K says:

Shame! (I hope!) I am all for encouraging public breastfeeding; but, I draw the line at making puking in public a common and fashionable display. I realize that when you gotta, you gotta. And, in the interest of full disclosure, I confess that God traded me months of morning sickness for about 36 hours of full throttle stomach bug when I was 7 weeks. Ingestion should be publicly acceptable; evacuation should be private.

January 8th, 2009 at 9:25 am

24. karen says:

@anne K- i don’t think they’re trying to make horking your guts out “a common and fashionable display,” but just making the puker feel a little less embarrassed when it happens. i had HG with both daughters, and with my first daughter, i lost over 20 lbs in less than two months from throwing up every time i turned my head, literally. when i went to a dr appt, or to the hospital (happened three times) i had to carry a trash can with me for the car, and make sure i sat near a can in the waiting room, because if the urge hit, i couldn’t make it to a bathroom in time. trust me, i would have LOVED to be able to toss my cookies in the privacy of a rest room, but it just didn’t always happen…

having said all that, i say fame. i wouldn’t have cared much about the pattern (while cute) but i also think the idea of having a bag that’s a) water(puke)proof, and b) appears to hold it’s shape while you’re, um, filling it.

January 8th, 2009 at 10:43 am

25. Donna says:

FAME! ….because I’ve had to puke in the diaper bag. ….in the passenger seat ….on the floor of the mall …in a trash barrel in front of my boss! Because sick, pregnant women will do anything to make being so – less miserable. And because they are at the beginning of shamelessly spending to make life easier with babe! : )

January 8th, 2009 at 4:58 pm