Could this be the cause of autism?

Digital depiction of Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man drawing with a light burst behind him. On the man's left is a photo of Uranus. On the right is a photo of Neptune.

Astrologer Lynn Hayes posits on her blog, Astrological Musings:

“The astonishing rise of the prevalence of autism since the early 1990s suggests a link to the Uranus-Neptune conjunction that began in 1991 and continued through 1994. The combination of Uranus to Neptune opened all kinds of doorways and dissolved the boundaries of reason and old paradigms of thinking.”

In short, celestial bodies could be transforming the human race into a new life form, as she concludes:

“If the autism rate continues to increase beyond the current rate of 1 in 150, we will need to change our thinking about what we are now calling a psychiatric disorder and expand our minds to accommodate the possibility that as humans we are entering a new age where technology and humanity are merging into a new life form.”

There’s a whole geek-couples-producing-autistic-kids angle fueled by Wired Magazine that I didn’t quote, too. Read the whole thing in her article, Autism: The astrological connection.

So, whatcha think? I kind of thought a mixture of toxins in our air, water, soil, food and/or everyday products might be to blame for the many variations in the autism spectrum, but this Uranus-Neptune collusion sounds suspiciously convincing. No wonder President-elect Obama is shaking things up at NASA. We might just have a global conspiracy on our hands.

Discuss.

Comments

6 Responses to “Could this be the cause of autism?”

P.S. All due credit to NASA, Leonardo de Vinci and Photoshop for the image illustration.

January 8th, 2009 at 12:10 am

2. guri says:

well, given that Astrology is a load of old cobblers, i suspect it has nothing to do with it all.

January 8th, 2009 at 1:39 am

3. Allison says:

To be blunt I think that article is total bunk. I should also add that I think astrology in general is nonsense with no scientific evidence to back it up.

I read the wired article years ago and think that it may hold some water. I think a genetic link for autism is very likely and has been supported by research. Environmental toxins can not be ruled out entirely though and I think that is something that should be explored further.

I also think that the current “epidemic” of autism is not so much an increase in the actual number of people with autism but is more the result of the radical changes to the diagnostic criteria for autism and autism spectrum disorders that happened between 1980 and 1994. Those changes really made the criteria much broader so it is natural we would see the number of diagnosed cases increase. I don’t think that is a bad thing though. Potentially it means children who have these disorders who where not diagnosed before might be better understood and helped instead of just written off as difficult, weird or unmanageable children.

It’s a fine line though some would argue that labeling the less sever cases hurts those kids by telling them there is something about them that “needs to be fixed” and also takes time and effort away from researching how to help the more sever forms of autism.

January 8th, 2009 at 7:55 am

4. Stephanie says:

First, I think it’s funny that Uranus has anything to do with Autism. I’m thinking there are a lot of other factors involved right here on Earth. And the diagnosis has changed depending on the decade.

Second, your article on Obama and NASA was interesting. I work in DC and yes, that is a very desperate plea to keep a job. If they start using NASA to keep an eye on global warming and create more energy efficient inventions (both velcro and TANG were great NASA creations), then yes, that administrator should keep his job.

January 8th, 2009 at 10:19 am

5. dor says:

I’m with you on the toxins.

January 8th, 2009 at 10:35 am

6. Sandy W. says:

As parents of a child with autism, we’ve analyzed the cause from every angle and have come up with our own theories.

This particular theory, while amusing, we find totally absurd.

I think that there is not one single cause for autism. And there are so many different shades of autism that it’s likely that some get it for different reasons than others.

As far as the geek theory, I do think that genetics plays a part. My husband and I would probably be classified as geeks so we hardly blow this theory out of the water.

But for our son, we believe it was a handful of things that may have caused it including a very traumatic birth experience where he may have lost oxygen.

Regardless of how absurd the Uranus-Neptune theory may be, I’m glad you got the conversation started. I’m curious to read what others have to say on this.

January 8th, 2009 at 2:21 pm