Duggar Family: 18 Kids and Counting

The Duggar family, stars of The Learning Channel’s 17 Kids and Counting cable show, have extended their stardom with And Baby Makes 18.  Yep, child #18 was born this week.

Michelle is 42; Jim Bob is 43. The kids are 20, 18, 18, 17, 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 9, 9, 8, 7, 6, 4, 3, 1 and 2 days.

Their names: Joshua, Jana, John-David, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jeremiah, Jedidiah, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johannah, Jennifer and Jordyn-Grace. The have two sets of twins, so that’s 15 pregnancies with only 2 Cesarean sections. They manage financially, supposedly, by both working as real estate agents.

With the latest birth, they’ve reaffirmed that they would love to have more kids. The family has also been immortalized (negatively) with such viral web images as Clown Car and Manly Men.

For your cursory enjoyment I present the NBC Today Show’s look at a Duggar Family Christmas (from last year).

No, Thingamababy isn’t becoming one of those baby news regurgitation blogs. The wife was up all night “revisiting” dinner while I wrangled a fussy tot, so today I have a “hey, lookie!” post.

Comments

17 Responses to “Duggar Family: 18 Kids and Counting”

1. Christy says:

Some of my friends from back home (we’re from AR originally) were discussing this on Facebook about 10 minutes ago! I just sent them your link, as it includes two photos that would really add to the discussion! ;)

December 19th, 2008 at 3:01 pm

2. Anonymous says:

I wonder what the media outcome would be if they were black/Hispanic/Chinese/etc?

December 19th, 2008 at 3:16 pm

3. Anonymous says:

It doesnt matter that they are white, anyone with 18 kids is going to make headlines!!!!

December 20th, 2008 at 12:03 am

4. Stephanie says:

Does anybody find it disturbing that they have 18 kids?

December 23rd, 2008 at 10:50 am

PS this baby was C-section too — making 3 C-sections.

Why should we be disturbed that they have 18 kids? They are their kids, you are not expected to do anything for or about them.

I wanted a dozen growing up. Won’t be possible now, because I’m too old. :( But I can understand a family really wanting a large family.

December 24th, 2008 at 8:23 am

6. Kristin E. says:

I am fascinated by the Duggar family in a sort of ‘how do they do it’ type of a way. I’m overwhelmed by my two. Every time there is a feature on them, it seems like it is followed by a ton of criticism. They are debt-free, self-supporting, their kids seems intelligent, respectful and well-mannered. It is not like there is a family like that one in every zip code. I have a lot of respect for Michelle and Jim Bob.

December 25th, 2008 at 5:01 pm

7. kidlet says:

In addition to “how do they do it” i’d add “how can they afford it?”

What if each of the kids decides to pursue a college education? Can you imagine the cost, particularly given how closely spaced they must be… geez.

December 29th, 2008 at 12:09 pm

kidlet: No problem if they all want to attend college — as long as they figure out how to finance it.

Oh, you were expecting the parents to do it? Mine didn’t pay for my college, and there were only 2 of us. My husband paid for his own education too. I believe there is value to be had in paying for ones’ own education (with financial aid, working and saving, maybe even joining the Army to pay for it). Makes you value it more.

And when you go off to college, you are an adult, capable of making your own decision, etc.

December 29th, 2008 at 8:54 pm

9. Teresa says:

This is wonderful family i have a lot of respect for them. They are very strong and family oriented. I only wish that my family ran so smoothly.God bless the Duggar family.

January 23rd, 2009 at 8:10 am

10. katie says:

A large family these days is like 4-5!!! Not 18! Not that it is my business, although they are kind of making it everyones business by making a reality show about themselves. But I do feel like that is un-natural to have so many kids. If it was normal more people would be having larger families, but not in todays society!

January 26th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

11. Vanessa says:

I have watched their show periodically and am fascinated by the reality of 18 kids? They seem to be loving and caring parents, and are instilling strong moral values into their children. There should be more individuals in the world like them, and they deserve praise for their hard work and dedication to their beliefs.

February 4th, 2009 at 1:43 pm

12. BELA says:

WOW THIS MOM IS THE MOST FERTILE WOMAN IN THE WORLD, I HAVE 3 OF MY OWN AND I AM PRAYING THE ALMIGHTY GOD TO BLESS ME WITH #4, AMEN

February 20th, 2009 at 6:24 am

13. Jen says:

While I find the idea of having 18 kids personally unbelievable (I’m 8 months into my 1st pregnancy), I think if other people want to have that many _and can afford it_, it’s great. The Duggers are raising a group of 18 well-behaved, polite, respectful, _happy_ children (something that many parents raising only 1 or 2 kids can’t seem to manage), without needing public assistance, large amounts of debt, or any of the other issues that so many smaller “more traditional” families face.

Personally, I think we should elect Michelle Dugger as President. Any woman who can manage a household like that would be great at handling international conflicts, budgeting and the national debt, etc. :)

February 21st, 2009 at 11:26 am

14. Christy says:

The fact that this show glorifies having far too many children is incredibly disturbing. The world is overpopulated and the environment is in crisis mode as a result (perhaps the Duggars just haven’t heard of climate change). Having too many children is honestly a selfish choice. These people love their children and think they are a blessing, and yet by having so many children they are contributing to the deterioration of the planet where their children live. Selfish, unintelligent, and countless other horrible things. Shame on TLC for glorifying this lifestyle but not only having this show, but also Jon and Kate.

March 14th, 2009 at 7:00 pm

15. L Smith says:

I’d just like to tell everyone it’s alright because it’s America but in countries with high population this will certainly be very unhealthy.
    Also, even if the family is capable of finances, you’re forgetting what will happen to the environment if such a lifestyle is followed by everyone

i)The production of foodgrains will be slower than the rate of growth of population

ii)There will be increased demand for housing

iii)Environmental trouble-are you forgetting the industrial demand, the way natural resources are running out, etc, etc?

April 13th, 2009 at 9:47 am

16. eikooc retsnom says:

RE:to “Christy” March 14th posting. TLC only has the Jon and Kate show; and 18 Kids and Counting is on the Discovery Health channel!

October 17th, 2009 at 11:06 pm

17. Tired of these parents says:

They say they are self sufficient and yet the tv program provides them with furnishings to their home, clothes, trips etc. If you have watched from the beginning, their hairstyles have changed, girls wearing makeup, new clothes. I am tired of people using their children on tv shows to enrich their own lives.

January 16th, 2010 at 2:31 pm