Suck It Up: Baby Nose Vacuums

Behold the Orrszivo Porszivo, or as we say in the States, the Arianna Baby-Vac. It’s the Hungarian nasal aspirator that’s sweeping vacuuming the nation.

Bulb aspirators are the defacto standard in America today, slow and inefficient at emptying mucous-filled baby noses.

More practical and effective methods are slowly taking hold. There’s the Swedish Nosefrida snot sucker you power with your mouth (we use it in our home) and the BebeSounds Nasal Clear that sucks with battery power.

The Arianna Baby-Vac takes a different approach. You hook the fat end to your floor vacuum’s hose and insert the thin end into your child’s nose, and the snot just flies out into a collection chamber.

Sound scary? Rest assured, it’s been tested by Universitat Ulm Klink. If Hogan’s Heroes stands behind it, it’s legit.

My kids wail when using our Nosefrida with meager lung power, so I’d think a vacuum’s awesome sucking power coupled with its loud operation would cause spontaneous bladder evacuation in toddlers. Oh, but I’d be wrong. Take a look at these freaky videos.

As seen on TV:

Do-it-yourself:

And another one so we know it’s not a fluke:

I learned about this little wonder from a family at my daughter’s preschool. The mother only had the nasal end piece, not the tube and not the vacuum attachment. She had been using it with her mouth to directly clear the nasal passages of her infant daughter. Hmm, methinks she was truly sucking snot. Apparently she was catching her daughter’s colds, too. We set her up with a Nosefrida; I keep a few spares around for baby showers.

Perhaps the real lesson to take from all this is that Hungarian babies are badass.
Grab the Baby-Vac for $25 at HungarianGooseDown.com.

Comments

9 Responses to “Suck It Up: Baby Nose Vacuums”

1. Jennifer says:

Astonishing. Believe it or not, in 14 years with 4 babies, I have never sucked snot… or really, truly felt the need. Now I feel like maybe my kids are deficient in the mucus department. :-)

(here’s a hint for a teeny tiny baby who can’t nurse due to stuffiness… before you haul out the vac OR nosefrida, try squirting breastmilk up it. Always worked wonders, and it has antibacterial properties, too)

November 21st, 2008 at 8:11 am

2. Christy says:

I think I want one of those for myself. All of those time my nose has gotten absolutely raw and chapped during a cold, I could have really used one of those things. Trying to get an aspirator in my sons nose is like trying to catch a tiny cockroach with one finger. The little sucker just darts around so fast.

November 21st, 2008 at 8:43 am

3. LeftyMama says:

Wow! I sure wish I had had one of those things when my 2 yr old was a tiny baby. Actually, it would still be useful, as he hasn’t yet learned to blow his nose and suffers with terrible eczema on his face when he has runny/crusty nose. We tried the saline+bulb syringe method many times, usually to very little success. Later, we bought the Nasal Clear, but it was too noisy and just as scary to our son. These days, he *loves* using the vacuum cleaner, so the Baby-Vac might just make it past his usual resistance to nasal suction. Thanks for sharing!

November 23rd, 2008 at 1:12 pm

4. Magda says:

It seems to be a lot cheaper here (shipping from Canada):

November 24th, 2008 at 9:17 am

5. Magda says:

I am so glad we got the Baby-Vac! After watching these videos, and knowing that when I was little I wanted something to vacuum out my nose, we went ahead and got one.

Except that Teddy is still scared of the vacuum (we really need to clean more), he seems to enjoy not snuffling. I would use it more myself, but by the time I have rinsed it out, I need to blow my nose again anyhow, so it seems inefficient for adults.

January 21st, 2009 at 8:56 am

6. Sharon says:

My husband and I live in Hungary and they are a perfectly normal part of life here. We have 3 kids and have used it on all three. It works really well for small kids who can’t blow their own noses. It isn’t really designed for adults and doesn’t work so well for them since you can probably blow out more than it would suck. I’d highly recommend one of these!

February 10th, 2009 at 2:14 am

7. Teri says:

I lived in Hungary, and when my first baby was born, my American doctor said other Mom’s in the ex-pat community swore by the orszivo porsivo (literal translateion – nose vacuum). I tried it and it worked so well that all the crazy looks I got from Americans when I returned to the States didn’t bother me. It seemed to cut my kids colds in half! So for all you naysayers – try it and you’ll never go back!

February 10th, 2009 at 4:45 am

8. Momma Q says:

I breastfed and still needed and used these and love them. I bought these from various vendors for many friends as baby shower gifts and they have been the greatest gift. When your baby has so much mucous from a bad cold, these are a Godsend. They are not properly introduced yet here in the United States so this is a welcome addition to the tools we have because those regular nasal aspirators don’t even work.

March 12th, 2009 at 10:49 am

9. GMomma says:

I live in the U.S. and my Slovakian neighbor has been using this and buying it as a shower gift for years. She let me try it with the other nasal aspirator (it comes with 2 collectors). I used it on my own nose with a stronger suction setting on my vaccum and on my 4 month old and was AMAZED how much came out. Now I’m up at 3:30am with horrible congestion wishing I had one. Shipping from the UK is over $30 so I’m searching for a Canadian Company…

I WISH it was available here- I’m sure it’s too expensive for Arianna to go through all the stringent consumer safety testing despite it being safely used ALL OVER THE WORLD… (and people here would probably find a way to blame the company for their child’s lifelong allergies and sue for damages.) It’s a shame what we miss out on here. THIS PRODUCT WORKS and I WISH I HAD ONE!!

April 16th, 2010 at 2:02 am