Three Unusual Baby and Toddler Products, Vol. 11: Germophobe Edition

Photo of a shopping cart existing a Pure Cart System.

PureCart was surely designed with parents in mind.

It’s a portable sanitizer for whole shopping carts. A grocery store plugs it in, hooks up a water hose and fills the unit with sanitizing agent. Then it’s just a matter of pushing carts through the gate as a lemon-scented sanitizing liquid is sprayed. The liquid supposedly dries quickly, breaking down into carbon dioxide and water. Watch a brief news report showing the device in action.

Two photos of a baby in a carrier hung on a restroom wall.

This find is a couple years old, but a classic. Babykeeper is a 3-in-1 device.

First, it’s a hip carrier for babies 13 to 35 lbs.

Second, it’s a baby harness for shopping cart seats.

Third, it’s for hanging your baby on doors. No, really. It comes with hooks for suspending your baby from a restroom stall door, as if we don’t think restroom doors are just as germ-filled and disgusting as every other part of a public restroom.

That’s why it’s a good idea to use your home bathroom before leaving and to go on only short excursions unless your spouse or a friend is with you. Or, just have world renown intestinal girth and a spare empty soda bottle in the car. Hey moms, disgusted yet?

Photo of a child smiling while sitting atop a disposable plane seat cover.

Disposable Airplane Seat Covers by Kidovative. Plane seats rank second only to toilet seats in terms of their filth factor, apparently.

It turns out seat covers are not a new idea. Regular disposable covers are already on the market.

However, this one comes decorated in a vehicle, animal or alphabet theme, and has a storage pocket.

We’ll just forget about how, when using the cover, your kid will still be touching the seat’s filthy arm rests.

Also see previously, Three Unusual Baby and Toddler Products:

• Volume 1: High Leg chair extender, nursing bracelet, Clever Coverz.
  • Volume 2: PlatePal, Mama Snot Pluck, Tubsider parent seat.
  • Volume 3: The Zoo animal storage, Sneeze Sleeve, The Potty Song.
  • Volume 4: Yellow pages booster seat, My First Zamboni, Solar System Travel Bag.
  • Volume 5 Japanese edition: Shampoo hat, nursing bottle scissors, Pooh bedpan.
  • Volume 6: Doll playground, baby cologne, foam receiving blanket.
  • Volume 7: Horse chariot, leather-like baby gear, Babywunder Deluxe.
  • Volume 8: Fropper, safety tattoos, Snow Bear sled.
  • Volume 9: Birthday suit bear, wood train chandelier, pink Lego bucket.
  • Volume 10: Stacking stones, milestone sticker calendar, baby food bar.

Comments

14 Responses to “Three Unusual Baby and Toddler Products, Vol. 11: Germophobe Edition”

1. RobMonroe says:

The grocery store next door to my office building has one of the PureCart systems. The real problem is that it looks fun for toddlers, but they can’t play with it for obvious reasons. Oh well.

October 17th, 2008 at 5:29 am

2. Ticia says:

Or grocery stores could go with the cheap simple option I’ve seen in several. Have a big huge tub of industrial sized wipes at the door next to the carts, then Moms or Grandmas can clean the cart before their precious children can touch it.
    Wait, that might have sounded too sarcastic, I first became familiar with this when my mother-in-law cleaned my cart as if my children would die if they touched the dirty thing. Or, you can look at it as I do, they’re going to have an amazing immune system.

October 17th, 2008 at 6:20 am

3. Stephanie says:

The kid hanging off the door completely freaks me out. I just keep thinking gravity is going to pull that kid down or that he’ll squirm so much that the hook will come undone. Maybe I’m just overprotective.

October 17th, 2008 at 6:30 am

4. Allison (CodeCrafter) says:

Ok I just snorted coffee up my nose looking at that babykeeper picture.

These all seem a bit over the top to me although I do try to avoid taking my son into a public restroom with me not because of sanitary reason but because he has on more then once tried to crawl out of the stall and run away while I have my pants down!

October 17th, 2008 at 8:37 am

5. Lindsey says:

I like cleaning the cart, not only because my son has a weird habit of licking things…but because I don’t like to touch things that have come in contact with raw meat or someone’s snot. I’m fine with the big wipes at the front of the store, and would prefer my supermarket didn’t raise prices to pay for a cart sanitizer.

About the baby hanger….I’m iffy. If it started to fall when my pants were around my ankles, I could see a huge problem. It would, on the other hand, stop my son from unlocking and opening the stall door when I’m sitting there. Talk about embarrassing.

October 17th, 2008 at 11:48 am

6. kidletnation.blogspot.com says:

airplane seat covers are a great idea. I’ve always traveled wearing a hoodie so I can protect my head from the seat-backs.

I trust neither the seats, the blankets or those dodgy pillows.

October 17th, 2008 at 3:56 pm

7. lisa says:

Looking at the babyKeeper it suddenly occured to me that i must have not peed for the first year in public anywhere while with my baby. I’m a stay at home mom so i was always with my baby. But no, i did pee of course and baby was in the stroller. HOW STRANGE IS THAT!?!? Always had a Bjorn underneath too if baby got fussy. IS THAT OK?!?! In any case I think this is odd but i’d love the chance to try it out. Have some chuckles at baby’s expense because they do look ridiculous hanging off the wall like that. I’ve been to some bathrooms that have a plastic chair with a harness that is actually attached to a wall for toddlers to strap in while mommy gets busy. I guess this would be most useful if you usually sling or carrier your baby………

October 17th, 2008 at 6:23 pm

8. Marcy says:

You may have covered this at some point and I missed it, but how do you feel about germs? Do you use public restrooms with your daughter? Do YOU wipe down shopping carts? Lysol things in the store? Carry hand sanitizer with you everwhere?

October 18th, 2008 at 9:50 am

9. Amber says:

Given that I worked in a grocery store in a bottle-return state, I can tell you that those carts are crawling with germs–and not just your typical ‘out in public’ germs. Imagine the homeless guy who picks up roadside cans–some peed in, some with chew-spit in them, some with dead rodents in them–he dumps his cans directly into the basket. That’s right, where you lay your unbagged bananas and all the rest of your groceries. Even though most stores have a policy against taking such cans, they usually get to the counter with their ungodly dirty cans before someone smells the stench, looks up, and tells them to bugger off.

Stick your nose up at it if you will, but I for one would choose a cart sanitized in this manner over one I wiped with a wipey any day. Kid or not.

October 18th, 2008 at 12:52 pm

10. Kristin says:

I don’t tend to be too germaphobic with my son but I do try to keep him away from shopping carts. I have resorted to one of those covers that goes over the shopping cart seat so that he can’t chew on the handle of the cart. Although lately he has figured out how to pull it off and get to the handle–oh well, I try.

October 18th, 2008 at 7:41 pm

11. gertie says:

I’ve never cleaned a shopping cart, but I have used a public toilet while holding my (too young to stand) daughter. That was, um, awkward, but it can be done.

My daughter has had two colds in her first two years of life, so I find it hard to get riled up about germs.

I guess I’m really not the target demographic of these marketers. I have friends who would buy these products, though.

October 19th, 2008 at 9:19 am

Marcy, answers to your questions…

1. How do I feel about germs? Uh, I don’t like germs.

2. We use a public restroom in an emergency. The vast majority of our trips are easily alleviated by the house rule of going potty before leaving home.

For the toddler years we have a car travel potty to avoid bringing gear in to deal with the dirty over-sized toilet seat found in restrooms.

3. We have two shopping covers (one in each car). There’s no need to wipe down a shopping cart. How would you wipe down rust or dried gum or…

4. We don’t use Lysol. Take a look at the chemicals in that can. It scares me more than germs.

5. We do keep hand sanitizer or wipes in our car and bring something to a non-home-based event where we know our daughter will be eating.

October 20th, 2008 at 1:13 am

13. Lisa says:

i wish i had the purecart at my local supermarket. their carts are disgusting.

why would anyone hang their kid on the bathroom door? the doors in bathrooms are pretty gross.

October 20th, 2008 at 7:09 pm

14. David says:

As silly as the germ worries are the babykeeper is a great idea. My son used to only sleep in his carrier when he was sick and sometimes I resorted to hanging it on the bedpost so that I could get a little rest while he slept which worked ok but hooks for a door would have been much better!

October 27th, 2008 at 10:22 am