Kiddie Costume Pop Culture Quiz

I’ve either failed or succeeded as a parent. I have a 4-year-old child and couldn’t identify these six costumes. Can you?

Photo of a toddler wearing a green eye mask and a green and blue super hero costume featuring a book on his chest.

Photo of a baby in a full-body green costume that has horns and a lizard-like face illustrated on the chest.

Photo of a toddler wearing tan-yellow pants, a striped blue and brown long sleeve shirt and a fabric hood patterned to look sort of like a cow.

Photo of a toddler wearing orange pants, a pink shirt and wearing a purple backpack.

Photo of a toddler wearing a skirt with purple and pink stripes and wearing a large pink wig.

Photo of a male toddler wearing dark blue pants, a light blue long sleeve shirt, a white vest with a patch on it and a brown spiky wig.

At least three of those marketing characters are widely found on US toy store or baby store shelves.

Click and highlight the following paragraph to see the answers.

1. The green "book kid" is Super Why, a computer-animated TV show on PBS.
  2. The green lizard baby is the Baby Einstein dragon.
  3. The purple backpack girl is Dora the Explorer, or as I call it, the Random School Child Dressed for a Normal Day costume.
  4. The cow baby is Tyrone the moose from Nick Jr.’s Backyardigans computer-animated show.
  5. The blue spiky-haired baby is Diego from Go, Diego, Go!, a spin-off cartoon from Dora the Explorer.
  6. The pink teenie-bopper toddler is Stephanie from the TV show Lazy Town.

There are plenty of easier costumes to pick on. For example, can you name any of the Teletubbies, or that green dragon-thing on Barney & Friends? Probably not, but you do recognize them on sight. You probably knew about Barney before you even became a parent, as well as newer Sesame Street characters (such as Elmo), Disney characters and various comic book-turned movie heroes.

What’s it all mean? Well, nothing, really. This is just a gentle reminder that these fun characters are also marketing tools pushing a merchandising agenda, not an agenda addressing what’s best for the educational and social development of your child.

Comments

7 Responses to “Kiddie Costume Pop Culture Quiz”

1. Steve Webb says:

My wife put up her own website last weekend making custom “Yo Yo Gabba Gabba” costumes because she couldn’t find anything online anywhere. I didn’t know what any of those were except for Tyrone. http://hollysworkshop.com is the my wife’s blog with the YYGG costumes.

October 6th, 2008 at 8:53 pm

2. Jeremiah says:

That Diego hair is wacky.

I thought I had four out of six but I was wrong on that pink-haired girl. She looked like a Doodlebop to me.

October 7th, 2008 at 5:11 am

3. Mary says:

I was able to identify a few of these and have a guess at a few others (slightly successful). We don’t have cable, but we do watch PBS with our son – I was actually surprised to see a costume from Super Why! We watch this show with our son every now and then and he loves it. We already have plans for our son’s costume (a modified mouse costume turned into an elephant costume – he loves elephants). But I just wanted to know where you found the Super Why! costume. We thought about doing a homemade one for him as an early idea.

The dragon from Baby Einstein is named Bard (we have a book with him as the main character in it). So, I not only knew where it came from but what it’s name was – sad, right?

I’ve never watched Dora or Diego, nor has our son, but I knew the costumes when I saw it. Our son somehow knows who Dora is – I blame it on his daycare – its the only place he could have learned about her (they don’t watch tv there, but they have books and music from a lot of commercialized characters).

I took a guess at the Backyardigans thing and was right. Never seen the show – must have seen their stuff in Walmart – just like Dora and Diego.

Totally didn’t know about the pink haired girl.

Okay, so I don’t have cable, barely watch any tv, yet I was able to guess correctly on all but one. Is there something wrong with this? We truly live in a commercialized society.

October 7th, 2008 at 10:00 am

4. molly says:

I only know one — Super Why. That crazy pink Oompa Loompa thing sure is bent at an awkward angle! Thanks for sharing — your Halloween stuff always has me rolling with laughter.

October 7th, 2008 at 10:08 am

5. Dutch says:

The dragon’s name is “Bard.” My 2 yr old daughter has a great book with him where she presses the button at the right time in the story and a small stuffed Bard pops from behind the back cover. We also have a Bard hand puppet, though I’ve never seen him on TV.

Lazy Town is like a bad drug trip with their puppets and prosthetics. Strictly off limits for us.

While we’re on PBS, where’s Word Girl?

October 7th, 2008 at 1:14 pm

6. Amber says:

lol! I knew all of them except the weird dragon baby.

I don’t know whether to be proud or sad. :)

October 8th, 2008 at 3:06 pm

7. Cathy @ Chief Family Officer says:

The dragon and Tyrone looked familiar, and I assumed the pink girl was a Doodlebop. The other three were easy :)

However, my three-year-old has chosen to be a policeman. The almost-two-year-old, who doesn’t get a choice, will be wearing a Superman costume chosen by his dad. So even though my kids are exposed to commercial stuff, we haven’t been swayed to the dark side (completely). Of course that may all change in the years to come …

October 9th, 2008 at 8:56 pm