Monday, October 6th, 2008
Kiddie Costume Pop Culture Quiz
I’ve either failed or succeeded as a parent. I have a 4-year-old child and couldn’t identify these six costumes. Can you?
At least three of those marketing characters are widely found on US toy store or baby store shelves.
Click and highlight the following paragraph to see the answers.
- The green "book kid" is Super Why, a computer-animated TV show on PBS.
- The green lizard baby is the Baby Einstein dragon.
- The purple backpack girl is Dora the Explorer, or as I call it, the Random School Child Dressed for a Normal Day costume.
- The cow baby is Tyrone the moose from Nick Jr.’s Backyardigans computer-animated show.
- The blue spiky-haired baby is Diego from Go, Diego, Go!, a spin-off cartoon from Dora the Explorer.
- The pink teenie-bopper toddler is Stephanie from the TV show Lazy Town.
There are plenty of easier costumes to pick on. For example, can you name any of the Teletubbies, or that green dragon-thing on Barney & Friends? Probably not, but you do recognize them on sight. You probably knew about Barney before you even became a parent, as well as newer Sesame Street characters (such as Elmo), Disney characters and various comic book-turned movie heroes.
What’s it all mean? Well, nothing, really. This is just a gentle reminder that these fun characters are also marketing tools pushing a merchandising agenda, not an agenda addressing what’s best for the educational and social development of your child.