Baby Tip: A Healthy Alternative to Baby Videos

Photo of my 7-month-old son sitting in his feeding chair staring at me as he holds a Baby Mum-Mum cracker to his mouth. He has a pacifier in his mouth.

Here's some advice for parents who feel compelled to park their baby in front of a video screen in order to get some free time to do housework or relax.

When your baby is mature enough to eat a super-fast-dissolving cracker such as a Baby Mum-Mum, try the following:

Step 1. Put pacifier in baby's mouth.

Step 2. Hand baby a piece of cracker.

Step 3. Do housework while baby repeatedly bangs cracker on pacifier. Sure, supervise him because that pacifier will fall out eventually on its own.

I only do this when my son is not truly hungry. He's prepared to eat the Mum-Mum almost as a reflex action, and he never cries.

If you think my son is giving me the finger in that photo, it's just your imagination.

By the way, yes, that is a pink hand-me-down bib from his older sister. Ha! Take that Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood! My boy is going to have a doll house, too.

Comments

8 Responses to “Baby Tip: A Healthy Alternative to Baby Videos”

1. Teacher Jen says:

SPLAT… the sound of my last sip of coffee hitting the screen as I read your latest bit of resourcefulness. Brilliant!

October 31st, 2008 at 12:32 pm

2. Jen says:

Bonus? Teaching your kid to problem solve :)

November 1st, 2008 at 8:25 am

3. Christy says:

He’s got the best eyelashes ever!

November 1st, 2008 at 10:29 am

4. Marcy says:

Ahhh, you make me smile :)

November 1st, 2008 at 1:46 pm

5. Carrie C says:

My first reaction to the pic was the placement of his fingers! I think he DOES have an opinion about that pink bib…

He’s a sweetie1!

November 1st, 2008 at 9:17 pm

6. Gina says:

Do you have any concerns about Mum-Mums, since they are a product of China? I myself am not sure if they are safe or unsafe, but I have resisted buying these. Since I haven’t followed the melamine stories closely, I don’t know exactly what foods are affected.

November 1st, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Well dang, it states it right there on the box… manufactured by a company incorporated in SIngapore, with an address in Taiwan, “Product of China.”

Here is the company’s response:

In short, the powdered milk used is imported from New Zealand and has been tested twice, once by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Still, point taken. I’m used to examining nuts at Costco and declining anything not grown and processed in the US or Canada… not that it’s a guarantee of safety, but I do try to avoid foods from other countries when possible.

November 2nd, 2008 at 10:00 pm

8. RookieMom Whitney says:

How is it that I got the impressions that MumMums were made in Europe? I thought that was why they are so expensive and hard to find. When my daughter came along and decided to start eating, we searched for them as if they were a must-have. I heard that they were available in Hawaii and that a mom who lives there regularly brought them over to the mainland for her friends. My husband bought a CASE of them on Amazon for a good deal and we are still going through them at 16 months :-)

November 19th, 2008 at 12:47 pm