Thursday, October 9th, 2008
Baby Link Roundup #6,232
I shook my wad of bookmarks and out dropped 32 links.
2. Halloween printable alphabet cards, silhouette cards, party ideas [Super Simple Songs]
3. Babywearing Halloween costumes [Mamanista]
4. Thirteen for Halloween [Caution: sound-laden website. Free music and other goodies.]
5. Half-Full Blog: science for raising happy kids [based at the University of California, Berkeley]
6. Free Kids Music blog [let us know if you find anything worthwhile]
Tips and Projects
7. The Drugstore Game: A primer for saving tons of money at CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid, if you have the time and mental fortitude. [Chief Family Officer] Review the front page for timely coupon links.
8. Ice cube alarm clock gets you and your kids out of bed. No way I’m trying it. [Parent Hacks]
11. Hobo play kitchen: reusing everyday objects [Baby Toolkit]
13. Don’t tell smart children they’re smart [Neatorama]
14. Zrecs Guide to Safer Children’s Products. Why doesn’t Consumer Reports have something like this?
15. Experts challenge safety of 13 booster seats [Zrecs]
16. World’s best toy organizer
is a plain bookshelf, not some color-blinding kid’s shelf you have to
replace when your pre-teen scowls at the cutesy baby crap you bought
ages ago. [The Mommy Files]
18. Finally! A banana-shaped baby toothbrush that can be frozen AND is dishwasher safe. I just don’t have the energy to make this a Fame or Shame post.
19. Suggest a baby name for a blogger dad-to-be you’ve never heard of [via Neatorama] This reminds me of my Name My Baby Boy contest, except there’s no contest; it’s just for fun. Is anyone up for submitting Flynn? Please?.
20. Top 32 fatal things to say to your pregnant wife [Miss Cellania]
23. Who wrote the music for that Sesame Street crayon movie? [DaddyTypes]
Followup: A great photo book we have in our home on the subject (for
kids in the 5-year-old range) is How is a Crayon Made? by Oz Charles,
out of print, but used copies are on Amazon and Abe Books. Two more recent books are From Wax to Crayon and Wax to Crayons.
24. Video: Advertisement for an eyeglass store (don’t miss the subtitles)
25. Photo: Kid playing with his new Star Wars troop carrier [HolyJuan]
26. Images: Baby Animal Alphabet [Dales Designs]
27. 1-minute film: Ignorance of the ability brings disability [Not directly child-related, but good]
28. John Lennon: Househusband [DaddyTypes]
29. Little League is supposed to be free
[NYTimes] …caught my interest while contemplating the exorbitant fees
we pay for peewee soccer that seems rained out half the time.
30. Why good dads make moms jealous
[Parenting Magazine] No deep insights here, but it’s something every
dad can relate to. (Disclosure: Parenting somehow found me and started
sending me their magazine)
31. Useless, but interesting: Babies mentally rotate objects before inserting them into a shape sorter (not the “rotate with your hand until it fits” method). [Cognitive Daily]