Fame or Shame Game #7: Origami Auto-Fold Stroller

The Origami Stroller by 4Moms opens and closes — collapses and expands — at the push of a button.

The folding action is by way of a rechargeable battery that charges itself through normal use of the stroller. Push the stroller 300 feet and you’re good for a fold.

A sensor in the seat prevents folding while a child is seated.

An LCD panel on the handlebar displays a pedometer, speedometer, thermometer and battery status.

And the stroller has daytime running lights.

I’ll skip the mundane details common on high-end strollers — bassinet, car seat adapter, etc. Just trust it does a lot of the other stuff you want. And it should for a suggested retail price of $650. It hits the market in February 2009.

Hat tips to Baby Chic 101 and Baby Gizmo for the scoop from which I culled these details. Check their reports from the ABC Kids Expo for more. I’m not sure who to credit for the embedded video, but it might be Car & Caboodle.

Now, I ask you dear Thinga-readers… are these four mom inventors destined for fame, or shame?

Comments

14 Responses to “Fame or Shame Game #7: Origami Auto-Fold Stroller”

1. BusyMom says:

I like the idea, having fought a stroller in the parking lot in a storm, it would be nice if closing a stroller was that simple. Of course, you could also pop it up with baby in hand which could prove to be convenient.

My biggest concern is the same that I have of any bell or whistle, those are always the first things to fail. How will the stroller close without the remote/powered system? Where do you store the remote that appears to be connected by wire?

September 17th, 2008 at 2:51 am

2. Christina says:

I think it’s sweet! I too have fought with a stroller with a baby in arm. I’m also a gadget freak so I think it’s cool. Now, would I pay $650? Uh, no.

September 17th, 2008 at 5:19 am

3. Ticia says:

I’ll agree with the above commenters, I like the idea of a self-closing and opening stroller, because it’s potentially one less thing to fight with while holding a squirming baby or toddler. But, I’ll also agree that I wouldn’t pay that price tag.

September 17th, 2008 at 6:03 am

4. adrienne says:

Is folding a stroller really such a challenge?

Like BusyMom, I feel like the folding system (or its battery support) would be the first thing to fail.

And, of course, I’d forget something rigid in the cargo basket and burn out the motor on the second use.

September 17th, 2008 at 6:35 am

5. Stephanie says:

I gotta say… that’s really cool. Of course the price tag is a bit of a bummer, but some people pay $900 for a stroller. I’m sure there’s a market for this one. I’m gonna say Fame (this is way better than that DVD-my-kids-a-zombie thingie.)

September 17th, 2008 at 7:08 am

6. anjii says:

This seems like the nifty kind of thing I would probably buy if I had a lot more money than I do, but not necessary or helpful enough to make me search for that kind of cash in our budget. I also wonder about how well the mechanical parts will typically last before leaving you stranded in one way or another.

September 17th, 2008 at 8:22 am

BusyMom, the two linked reviews don’t mention a remote control. I suspect they had the stroller and a remote control wired to a socket outlet because the stroller battery isn’t designed to open and close as expo visitors walk by every 30 seconds. They’d want that thing jumping hoops to garner as much attention as possible as retailers walk by.

September 17th, 2008 at 8:33 am

8. Deana says:

Put that same functionality in a pediatric wheelchair and I would pay three times that out of my own pocket!

But for a regular stroller, the BabyJogger one step folding is just about as easy, and looks to be a bit faster!

September 17th, 2008 at 10:18 am

9. addy says:

shame…I think this would scare the beejeezus out of my kids….like a scary transformer type stroller…would it it eat up my baby?? like a baby trash compacter??? I think I am scared already…does it come with xanax??? for the anxiety

September 17th, 2008 at 1:49 pm

10. Kathleen says:

Fame for a great concept that could be used to help children with disabilities…like Deana stated with pediatric wheelchairs.
    For us it would never work….my 3 month old startles really badly and freaks out when the wind blows the wrong way. Adjusting this thing in front of him would probably cause him to spontaneously combust…LOL :)

September 17th, 2008 at 4:41 pm

11. jen says:

OK, the concept is good. But that stroller is crazy looking.

Also, it’s not very compact. I love that it folds quickly, but opening takes a bit.

I totally agree with the idea that having an electronic component invites tech problems.

I also think that kids would be polarized. Either totally exited, or totally freaked. Though I do think that perhaps the novelty on both ends would wear off if you used it from birth.

Interesting. Totally would be great for wheelchairs, as stated above.

September 17th, 2008 at 5:37 pm

12. Janis says:

I have yet to read other comments, but I say fame. This stroller could be prove helpful for anyone with a kid in one arm and bags in the other – or also for a parent who is mobility challenged due to a handicap or perhaps MS. I like the idea of a pedometer and that the battery recharges itself – and for that price, it does a lot more than my high-end jogging stroller (retail $500).

September 18th, 2008 at 11:06 am

Agreed with Deanna. Our Baby Jogger stroller is just as easy to fold, with fewer parts to break. And a much easier price tag.

September 21st, 2008 at 9:23 pm

14. Eduard says:

It is a waste of resources. We will not have a planet for our babies if we strip it like this.

February 4th, 2009 at 9:23 am