Dose Keeper: Medicine Tracker for Errant Spouses

Dose Keeper is a low-tech solution for tracking medication doses. It’s one of the few new products shown at this year’s ABC Kids Expo that doesn’t make my eyes roll (although its website does cause nausea with prolonged use).

Photo of the Dose Keeper chart affixed to three medicine bottles of varying heights. A second image shows a close-up of the Dose Keeper chart.

So, suppose your toddler is sick and you’ve been dosing him with X medication. Come nighttime, it’s a gamble whether it’s you or your spouse who gets up the next time your kid moans.

When was his last dose? Did you sleep through your spouse dosing him last? Should you wake your spouse and trust the groggy answer?

The Dose Keeper consists of a small time chart you affix to a medicine bottle and then write the date and time you administered the dose. The rotation of our planet is noted by circling "a.m." or "p.m."

(If you live in a modernized country that uses the 24-hour clock, well, you’re just better than us. Enjoy your fancy-schmancy metric system too.)

You can also write the name of the medication and its active ingredient on the chart if you wish.

The chart sits inside a flexible plastic holder which wraps around
the bottle via an elastic strap. A miniature golf-style pencil is
included that attaches to the holder as well.

Each holder carries 10 sheets allowing for a total of 50 dose recordings.

All this can be yours, in one of seven fashion colors, for a mere $4.30. The Retail Illuminati apparently failed to
alert the inventor that all prices shall end in .95 or .99. Oh well.

In our home, we devised an equally low-tech solution. No $150 electronic gadgets.

We bought a small magnet-backed dry erase board
for our fridge from an office supply store. (The magnets are wimpy, so
I glued more powerful ones to the backside.)

In the corner we drew a
chart of medicine names, their dosages and their time intervals. A
water-soluble marker was used so the chart wouldn’t accidentally get
smudged off.

Then, we stored the medicine in the kitchen and anytime a parent
fixed up a dose, the time got written on the board with a dry erase
pen. Bonus: we still use most of the board’s space to compile our
grocery list throughout the week.

So dear Thinga-readers, what’s your system for tracking medicine? Or
are you blessed with a lazy spouse so you never have to worry about
such things?

Comments

12 Responses to “Dose Keeper: Medicine Tracker for Errant Spouses”

1. Jennifer says:

Both ideas are fabulous! We use the trixietracker. But we’re computer addicts like that.

September 24th, 2008 at 6:22 am

2. Lisa C. says:

This can actually be very useful.. lol.. I have 10 month old twins, and sometimes i feel like my head’s gonna spin off it’s axis will all i have to keep track of.. lol..

September 24th, 2008 at 6:47 am

3. Allison (CodeCrafter) says:

So far we are using the system that only one of us ever administers meds and that would be me. This does seem like a good product though and I will keep it in mind for the future since I am sure things will get more complicated as my son gets older and if we have more children.

September 24th, 2008 at 7:20 am

4. Sara says:

We use a plain ol’ piece of scrap paper and a pencil. That is, if we even remember to write it down. Our 2.5 has been really healthy in general, and not prone to needing much in the way of medication. I would imagine if I had more complicated meds/dosing to keep track of, I would still use plain old paper and pen.

September 24th, 2008 at 8:09 am

5. Christy says:

I’m going to sound like a broken record here….we use or iPhones for this too. That way, I have our “meds timer” with us at all times. It has a space to record the last dosage as well as a timer to indicate when the next one is due.

September 24th, 2008 at 10:19 am

6. Beckie says:

I use a notepad, that can be taken into the bedroom with us at night, along with the medicine. I write down each time I give the medicine, and what time the next dose can or should be given.

When my father was going through cancer treatment, I bought a large dry erase board for him and my mother. I drew out a table on there, showing what medicines at what times, with check mark boxes to be filled in. It made it easy to see at a glance what Dad needed, when, and if he had missed any doses. One less thing to worry about, in a stressful time.

September 24th, 2008 at 10:28 am

7. amber says:

For the most part, since I’m home most of the time and hubs sleeps like a rock, I’m in charge of medicine.

For my own sanity, I use a dry-erase board, too, and mark up a bunch of times he can have medicine–so if he had some at 6am, I write 10, 2, 6, 10 on the board, and smudge them off with my finger after he gets it.

it’s easier for me than trying to fumble with a writing utensil in the dark, and I’m less likely to sleepily forget to do it if I can record it with the swipe of a finger carrying him back to his room.

September 24th, 2008 at 7:00 pm

8. Erin S. says:

Our son is on twice a day medicine for his chronic urticaria (hives) and reflux. He gets his medicine right before he brushes his teeth, so whoever gets the toothbrushing job does the medicine. Nothing gets written down, although if we had to track anything more complicated we would probably resort to the white board in the kitchen that we use to keep each other up to date on other important things.

September 24th, 2008 at 9:04 pm

9. Patti says:

I’m in a combo camp. It’s the “I administer all meds if needed, or tell husband to” plus the “Husband sleeps like a rock so no worries about the middle of the night” plus the “Trixietracker is my extra tool of choice cause I’m a computerophile” combo.

September 25th, 2008 at 11:59 am

10. Pippin says:

We keep dry erase markers in our bathroom (which has 3 huge mirrors), and write down time, dosage, temperature, and any other pertinant info- right on the mirror. Since the bathroom is right off the baby’s room, and it’s where we keep the meds, it works well for us.

September 25th, 2008 at 4:06 pm

11. anjii says:

Any meds right now are just due to short illness, and pen and paper is all I use. But when each of my preemies were on a variety of reflux and breathing meds, this could’ve come in handy. The dry erase board only works if you never leave the house.

PS The metric system rocks, lol. SO much easier to use, as EVERYTHING is based on 10s. Imperial is so random and confusing to me.

September 25th, 2008 at 7:46 pm

12. gertie says:

We’ve never given our toddler anything except Tylenol drops, and we didn’t really have a system (well, except for the fact that we were both usually hovering over her as we administered them).

I like the Dose Keeper because it would help avoid confusion if you have multiple sick children, and it would be easy to take with you to the emergency room.

September 25th, 2008 at 10:57 pm